Disabled caches glitch

P4nD0r4

I'm finding out that disabled caches appear in the mobile browser of geocaching.com and the desktop site on the PC, but they do not show up on the app. I am guessing this is because a reviewer or the cache owner has made a determination that the cache needs to be disabled and that's the "official ruling". But I'm one of those cachers who has found many disabled caches in perfect condition with nothing wrong. So I like to read why the cache was disabled but hate switching back and forth between the app and the mobile browser. So maybe I'm the only one, but I'd actually like to see disabled grayed-out cache icons in the app. It would even be cool if disabled caches were a filter as part of the search query. Just my thoughts.

• Helpful 2

I understand that they don't appear on the map with the intention that they should not be searched for. But I'm saying, they *do* show up on the map depending on how I'm logging into the site. So what I'm getting at is why not just show them on the maps of all platforms and let us decide whether or not to waste time looking for them or not. Sometimes it's not a waste of time for me, as the cache is in position and is fine and the log is able to be signed. Some people would probably prefer to "filter out" disabled caches so if they showed on the map, that option could be available too, so you wouldn't have to see them.

Edited by P4nD0r4
2 hours ago, P4nD0r4 said:

So maybe I'm the only one, but I'd actually like to see disabled grayed-out cache icons in the app. It would even be cool if disabled caches were a filter as part of the search query. Just my thoughts.

You are not the only one I would also like to be able to see disabled cache on the app and decide by myself if I should go for it or not.

1 hour ago, TriciaG said:

Not a glitch. When caches are disabled, they are meant to not be searched for. That's the whole point of disabling them. B)

Sadly the guidelines say otherwise and they can be found if they are still out there.

• Upvote 1

As a CO, I'm really pleased that the official app doesn't show disabled caches as I often have to disable them due to park closures or other restrictions. If I can remove the cache I will but often an area is closed without prior notice. Muggles-with-apps cause enough problems on active caches, particularly of late when they all seem to be getting premium membership when they sign up but many never visit the website and have no idea about cache types, D/T ratings or other nuances of the game.

• Upvote 4
  • Helpful 1
On 8/4/2020 at 7:29 PM, P4nD0r4 said:

I'm finding out that disabled caches appear in the mobile browser of geocaching.com and the desktop site on the PC, but they do not show up on the app.

I am guessing this is because a reviewer or the cache owner has made a determination that the cache needs to be disabled and that's the "official ruling".

But I'm one of those cachers who has found many disabled caches in perfect condition with nothing wrong.

You're assuming it's just the cache...

Similar to barefootjeff,  I'm happy I don't have to worry about folks when I TD a cache.   :)

Yesterday the area flooded out by Isaias, and the mill near where it's located was gutted.  Temp props and sandbags everywhere.

- Guys doing emergency repair now, heavy equipment around, the last thing anyone needs is someone getting in the way.

We have a couple hides on game lands.  They're TD during the very-busy rifle deer season.  Two weeks.  Few read the rules/regs.

- No one but hunters are supposed to be there during those two weeks.  It's their property, and we play there for free.

We've found a few cachers there over the years (we hunt...), so even if I picked it up,  some knucklehead would be there risking their life.

It's TD for your safety.  You can go the rest of the year...