Question about the "Found" database

HappyPa

Hello everyone, I have a questione for you.

When a cache that I have already found is removed by its owner for some reasons, will still be present in my "Found" database? 

For example, if I have 100 caches in my Found database and one of them is removed by the owner, will my database come to 99? 

Thanks in advance.

Happypaz4

Do you mean that when a cache is archived will your found number remain the same... Yes it will.

If you want to keep your finds on your own computer you can create the "my finds" Pocket Query at the bottom of the PQ page. This PQ will contain all your finds no matter what their status is.

• Helpful 2
4 hours ago, on4bam said:

Do you mean that when a cache is archived will your found number remain the same... Yes it will.

If you want to keep your finds on your own computer you can create the "my finds" Pocket Query at the bottom of the PQ page. This PQ will contain all your finds no matter what their status is.

Not quite. It excludes all lab caches including adventure labs.

Just now, JustFindingOurWay said:

Not quite. It excludes all lab caches including adventure labs.

I forgot about those as I ignore them all (and their "bonus caches" which go to my ignore list)

BTW, Waymarks are not included either. All geocaches are though :ph34r:

4 minutes ago, on4bam said:

I forgot about those as I ignore them all (and their "bonus caches" which go to my ignore list)

BTW, Waymarks are not included either. All geocaches are though :ph34r:

You'll have to take that up with HQ. For some reason, they seem to include lab caches (including adventures) in your total geocache count and include them in the Cache Types I've Found summary in your stats. Sure seems like they think they're a form of geocache even if you don't.

14 minutes ago, JustFindingOurWay said:

You'll have to take that up with HQ. For some reason, they seem to include lab caches (including adventures) in your total geocache count and include them in the Cache Types I've Found summary in your stats. Sure seems like they think they're a form of geocache even if you don't.

Yeah, Groundspeak treats lab caches like caches sometimes, but not other times. Just to avoid confusing my stats, I ignore them too.

• Upvote 1

I love watching the evolution of a forum thread.

OP: "Will my found caches decrease when caches are archived?"

General answer: "No"

Yada yada yada...

*Debate about whether adventure labs are geocaches

Just fun to watch.

Edited by GeoElmo6000
... not ,,,
  • Upvote 3
  • Funny 2
  • Helpful 1
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, JL_HSTRE said:

Yes, your profile reflects all your Finds (and Hides), even those that have been Archived. 

Just as addition (and to get back to the topic):

HappyPa, you can still see the logs of archived caches, for example https://coord.info/GC6KBE6 is one cache you've found and that has been archived. You can still see all the logs in the list.

In very rare occasions it may happen that Groundspeak unpublishs a cache ("retracted"), usually shortly after the publish, e. g. if the cache owner has cheated (given wrong coordinates to the reviewer or has done something illegal) or if there have been any other big problems that are worth more than just archiving the cache. In these cases the logs get deleted, too, the cache disappears completely (I think?).

As you ask for #100: I always "lock" my milestones so if ever something like a retraction may happen my milestones don't change. That's a nice feature you'll find in your milestone list on your statistics page.

Jochen

1 hour ago, GeoElmo6000 said:

*Debate about whether adventure labs are geocaches

Can't be done on my GPS so no geocache as I'm concerned, I'm not an app cacher. Therefore all lab cache bonus caches (mystery) have no use, that's it.

As for retracted listings, I've got two of those. They were retracted long after I found them but I still have the complete listings in GSAK exactly as they were when I found them. They are still in the myfinds PQ too.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, niraD said:

Yeah, Groundspeak treats lab caches like caches sometimes, but not other times. Just to avoid confusing my stats, I ignore them too.

Yep.  We're still lab-free because of that.   :)

The other 2/3rds was real particular about stats, and earlier (when they didn't count, but did ...sorta) disregarded 'em.

1 hour ago, frostengel said:

In very rare occasions it may happen that Groundspeak unpublishs a cache ("retracted"), usually shortly after the publish, e. g. if the cache owner has cheated (given wrong coordinates to the reviewer or has done something illegal) or if there have been any other big problems that are worth more than just archiving the cache. In these cases the logs get deleted, too, the cache disappears completely (I think?).

I found two caches that were later 'retracted'.  They are still on my list of 'found' caches.  But I cannot pull up the cache page.

23 minutes ago, Harry Dolphin said:

I found two caches that were later 'retracted'.  They are still on my list of 'found' caches.  But I cannot pull up the cache page.

They also will not show up in your count on Project GC.  I do not believe they are included in the My Finds PQ either.

5 hours ago, fizzymagic said:

I do not believe they are included in the My Finds PQ either.

The two retracted caches show the same "last GPX date" as all others in GSAK. They must be included as they would not have been "updated" otherwise. Their status is "archived" though.

1 minute ago, JL_HSTRE said:

So Wherigos aren't "real" geocaches either, assuming you don't have one of the few GPSr that can run them? Or Chirps?

Chirp is no problem on my Or700 (OR600, Colorado300).

Wherigo is no problem on my Colorado300.

Next question ;)

• Upvote 1