Changes to 1000 Places to See Before You Die Category

As mentioned in another thread, waymark submissions to this category can be difficult for some officers to judge if they don't have all of the additions of the relevant books.  Therefore, I have made some changes in order to facilitate the evaluation of warkmarks.  You will find the category here.

https://www.Waymarking.com/cat/details.aspx?f=1&guid=16d23f77-8889-433d-be3a-54cc8ae7c01f&exp=True

All comments are welcome.

On 8/3/2020 at 3:02 PM, elyob said:

Looking at the second sample photograph in the category description, could L'HOTEL and HOTEL LE SAINTE-BEAUVE both be waymarks?

On 8/3/2020 at 9:52 PM, RakeInTheCache said:

Yes they could both be waymarks.  (I have waymarked them both)

Hm.. To me, this would seem problematic. The category is for 1000 places to see before you die. That means, only the main categories from the book should be included. Sub categories (like the example in the updated description) would increase the number of waymarks in the category, greatly. A book may mention thousands of sites, but personally I believe only the "chapters" or I guess only the main categories should be included. Most of the time, these sub categories are just nearby points of interest and add to the overall site and were not intended to be 1 out of the 1000 places mentioned in the book.

• Upvote 2
On 8/6/2020 at 6:59 AM, bluesnote said:

Hm.. To me, this would seem problematic. The category is for 1000 places to see before you die. That means, only the main categories from the book should be included. Sub categories (like the example in the updated description) would increase the number of waymarks in the category, greatly. A book may mention thousands of sites, but personally I believe only the "chapters" or I guess only the main categories should be included. Most of the time, these sub categories are just nearby points of interest and add to the overall site and were not intended to be 1 out of the 1000 places mentioned in the book.

There's been some continuing confusion about which sites are eligible.  I"ve decided the best solution is to refer to the book index.  In fact all waymarkable sites can be found in the book's index, a photo of which including the site will provide conclusive proof.

I do not mean to offend, but what you can not do is that I have been active in WM since August, and you changed the category requirements in your opinion two or three times. In addition to canceling WM posted well by other reviewers. It seems like one of two things: either you don't want to post in the category and make it select, or you want to upload statistics. More than anything because for not looking at it you canceled the WM1396J when I even made the change that you requested privately, and now it is published by you, instead of Alfouine (who previously published it correctly to the rules of the moment) but of course, there is reviewers and reviewers ... It is also a category (like others of yours) in which you cancel WM retroactively, when the others with a change accept the above published and from that moment, no. By this rule you would have to review even yours, such as the Madrid Thyssen museum and attach screenshots of the book. Anyway, no offense, but you have to be more humble.

And your criteria of major and menor cities... is a little coherent criteria.

Finally, for me this topic is closed

Edited by Ariberna
On 11/8/2020 at 12:58 PM, Ariberna said:

I do not mean to offend, but what you can not do is that I have been active in WM since August, and you changed the category requirements in your opinion two or three times. In addition to canceling WM posted well by other reviewers. It seems like one of two things: either you don't want to post in the category and make it select, or you want to upload statistics. More than anything because for not looking at it you canceled the WM1396J when I even made the change that you requested privately, and now it is published by you, instead of Alfouine (who previously published it correctly to the rules of the moment) but of course, there is reviewers and reviewers ... It is also a category (like others of yours) in which you cancel WM retroactively, when the others with a change accept the above published and from that moment, no. By this rule you would have to review even yours, such as the Madrid Thyssen museum and attach screenshots of the book. Anyway, no offense, but you have to be more humble.

And your criteria of major and menor cities... is a little coherent criteria.

Finally, for me this topic is closed

"you changed the category requirements in your opinion two or three times"

There is nothing wrong with a leader changing a category.

"In addition to canceling WM posted well by other reviewers."

Reviewers sometimes make mistakes. Waymarking allows for waymarks to be re evaluated. Allowing waymarks that don't meet the requirements sets a bad precident for the submission of future waymarks.

"It seems like one of two things: either you don't want to post in the category and make it select, or you want to upload statistics."

It's unclear what you mean.

"By this rule you would have to review even yours, such as the Madrid Thyssen museum and attach screenshots of the book."

It's clearly stated that prior waymarks are grandfathered.

"Anyway, no offense, but you have to be more humble."

I don't think you understand the category requirements. I suggest you study them closer.

On 11/11/2020 at 8:42 PM, Max and 99 said:

Those two statements seem contradictory to me. 

It's about the category rules that were in effect at the time the waymark was submitted. For example, my waymark for Thyssen-Bornamissa met the rules that were in effect at the time the waymark was submitted.

On the contrary, the waymark that was re-evaluated did not meet the criteria as specified at the time it was submitted.

Now I can say that as a result of Ariberna's submissions it became clear that the requirements were rather too complicated. To simplify, they were changed requiring a further photo for submissions that were not main articles in the book. To remediate the waymarks Ariberna provided proof for one of them and it was approved.

I have to thank Ariberna for giving me the idea to simplify the requirements.

Edited by RakeInTheCache
On 11/7/2020 at 1:51 PM, RakeInTheCache said:

There's been some continuing confusion about which sites are eligible.  I"ve decided the best solution is to refer to the book index.  In fact all waymarkable sites can be found in the book's index, a photo of which including the site will provide conclusive proof.

I think this would open the door to make the category be oversaturated with new, uninteresting waymarks. If in the index there's a random restaurant (point of interest) with nothing more than an address and a short description, I don't believe that should qualify it in this category. This is the "1000 places to see before you die" category, not the "1,000,000 places to see before you die" category. I strongly believe you should reconsider. Waymarks submitted should only be from the chapter names, not the points of interests in the index within those chapters. That is what made the books interesting in the first place, and what makes this category interesting.

On 11/12/2020 at 8:24 AM, bluesnote said:

I think this would open the door to make the category be oversaturated with new, uninteresting waymarks. If in the index there's a random restaurant (point of interest) with nothing more than an address and a short description, I don't believe that should qualify it in this category. This is the "1000 places to see before you die" category, not the "1,000,000 places to see before you die" category. I strongly believe you should reconsider. Waymarks submitted should only be from the chapter names, not the points of interests in the index within those chapters. That is what made the books interesting in the first place, and what makes this category interesting.

I have to point out that the category allowed these from the very beginning as "sub-indexed" entries.  I only clarified what a "sub-indexed" entry was.

• Surprised 1