Songs (or movies) you think about while on the trail

It isn't always so literal.  When I'm alone on the trail I'm a little less depressed than my natural state so my inner radio station is usually playing songs that tend to be more upbeat.  That feel a little more centered.  And sometimes the beat somehow matches my pace in some way.

Another one that may not be quite so literal but does have a certain "searching" theme to it.  I guess, now that I think about it, this whole geocaching thing can be quite allegorical but I better have another drink before I face too much self-realization and bring everyone down...

• Funny 1
1 minute ago, cerberus1 said:

Guess you learned how to do YouTube vids now.    :D

I'm usually too busy listening to everything all around me while walking in the woods to think of stuff like that.    :)

Sometimes the phone plays "Closer" by NIN when ascending rope.  It seems to be a good tempo for me.

If that song and ropes are involved I hope I never meet you on the trail.  :D

This is more my speed:

3 hours ago, SamLowrey said:
3 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

Guess you learned how to do YouTube vids now.    :D

I'm usually too busy listening to everything all around me while walking in the woods to think of stuff like that.    :)

Sometimes the phone plays "Closer" by NIN when ascending rope.  It seems to be a good tempo for me.

If that song and ropes are involved I hope I never meet you on the trail.  :D

This is more my speed:

I did have this song in my head for one cache that I did this year, John Denver Sanctuary. A virtual at a lovely memorial to John Denver in Colorado.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, JohnCNA said:

I find that I sometimes get a song stuck in my head based on the cache name or cache theme. A recent cache find in a railroad park named "I Hear That Train a-comin'" had me humming Johnny Cash's "Folsom Prison Blues" for the rest of that outing. 

Yep.  We had a cache called "Don't worry, be Happy", and got mail saying we messed with their whole day.  :laughing:

• Funny 1
2 hours ago, JohnCNA said:

I find that I sometimes get a song stuck in my head based on the cache name or cache theme.

Ah, yes... My log from when I found Ode To Gilligan:

Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale
A tale of a caching spree
That started with a multi-cache
And a puzzle/mystery (a puzzle/mystery)

The third cache was traditional
An ode its owner wrote
To a silly 60s TV show
and a badly damaged boat (a badly damaged boat)

I pedaled down the creekside trail
And reached the Minnow's spot
I picked up lots of litter there
The container I found not (container I found not)

The sun had set, I had to go
I'd log a frowny face
But then I took one final guess
And found the hiding place (and found the hiding place)

I took a nickel, signed the log
I left a small seashell
Ten Euro cents and a sig token
And then I said "farewell" (and then I said "farewell")

I packed my stuff, switched on my lights
And pedaled down the road
My caching spree had ended here
Here at Gilligan's Ode!

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, cerberus1 said:
14 hours ago, JohnCNA said:

I find that I sometimes get a song stuck in my head based on the cache name or cache theme. A recent cache find in a railroad park named "I Hear That Train a-comin'" had me humming Johnny Cash's "Folsom Prison Blues" for the rest of that outing. 

Yep.  We had a cache called "Don't worry, be Happy", and got mail saying we messed with their whole day.  :laughing:

:laughing: Cache titles that give you earworms can drive you crazy. 

I've placed nine caches where the titles are either the name of a song, a modified version of a song name, or lyrics from a song. I guess I do think about songs while placing caches, for sure. Each of those caches have lyrics from the song posted in the cache description. I think only one person has ever mentioned it in a cache log, however. Mostly, I feel like I'm just singing into the void...:unsure: :ph34r:

• Funny 1
2 minutes ago, Ambrosia said:

I've placed nine caches where the titles are either the name of a song, a modified version of a song name, or lyrics from a song. I guess I do think about songs while placing caches, for sure. Each of those caches have lyrics from the song posted in the cache description. I think only one person has ever mentioned it in a cache log, however. Mostly, I feel like I'm just singing into the void...:unsure: :ph34r:

I mentioned in another thread that I kinda cut my teeth on deep woods caches in a  place called Sam Houston National Forest.  Several caches in the region had a theme from someone who apparently liked Barbara Streisand - https://www.geocaching.com/p/default.aspx?guid=6ea500d8-a049-433e-948a-c2553ee8cca3&wid=a2b502ab-fc9c-431f-9c9a-1a121c2d1c49&ds=2  I think of her from time to time.  Hasn't been active since 2016.  Most of her caches are archived.   Hope she is ok. :-(

14 minutes ago, SamLowrey said:
22 minutes ago, Ambrosia said:

I mentioned in another thread that I kinda cut my teeth on deep woods caches in a  place called Sam Houston National Forest.  Several caches in the region had a theme from someone who apparently liked Barbara Streisand - https://www.geocaching.com/p/default.aspx?guid=6ea500d8-a049-433e-948a-c2553ee8cca3&wid=a2b502ab-fc9c-431f-9c9a-1a121c2d1c49&ds=2  I think of her from time to time.  Hasn't been active since 2016.  Most of her caches are archived.   Hope she is ok. :-(

Wow! That's interesting. Hopefully everything's ok with her.

1 hour ago, Ambrosia said:

Wow! That's interesting. Hopefully everything's ok with her.

Babslover was both, a gungho geocacher and a Barbara Streisand fan and a half. She was really into geocaching and placed some creative and excellent caches. But for reasons unknown, she pretty much went cold turkey some several years back. Don't quote me on this but I think she just lost interest and moved on to something else.

• Upvote 2
11 hours ago, Ambrosia said:

My hubby hid one in our local marshland, amongst the tules (pronounced to rhyme with Julie) and named it after a Bobby Sherman song that gets stuck in my head every time we do maintenance or get a log notification for that one. (GC7X3TW)

• Upvote 2
  • Surprised 1
16 hours ago, Mudfrog said:

Babslover was both, a gungho geocacher and a Barbara Streisand fan and a half. She was really into geocaching and placed some creative and excellent caches. But for reasons unknown, she pretty much went cold turkey some several years back. Don't quote me on this but I think she just lost interest and moved on to something else.

Thanks for the reply.   Many cachers are so regionalized that I didn't expect anyone else on the board to have recognized the cacher.  Cheers.

8 hours ago, fuzziebear3 said:

Well, you take the high road,

and I'll take the low road,

And I'll be to the cache before ye

But me and my true love

will surely meet again

on the bonnie bonnie banks of ground zero.

Yeah, the original song does drift in to mind some times when I'm on the trail, too.

18 hours ago, Ambrosia said:

I hid a cache overlooking the Oak Ridge Reservoir, called Elvira, by the Oak Ridge Reservoir.  I'm not sure that anyone got my sense of humor...  

I did have a cache in my Geoart series that used oldies songs with numbers in their names.  _ or _ to _.  December, ____ (Oh, what a night.)  Some cachers did accuse me of infecting them with earworms.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, fuzziebear3 said:

Well, you take the high road,

and I'll take the low road,

And I'll be to the cache before ye

But me and my true love

will surely meet again

on the bonnie bonnie banks of ground zero.

This is true, I've sung this one to my husband a few times while caching. Dramatically.

• Upvote 1
38 minutes ago, Harry Dolphin said:

I hid a cache overlooking the Oak Ridge Reservoir, called Elvira, by the Oak Ridge Reservoir.  I'm not sure that anyone got my sense of humor...  

I did have a cache in my Geoart series that used oldies songs with numbers in their names.  _ or _ to _.  December, ____ (Oh, what a night.)  Some cachers did accuse me of infecting them with earworms.

Nice ones. 

On 8/2/2020 at 11:29 PM, Ambrosia said:

I have many hides with song names, though I live in an urban/suburban area., and they arent catchy songs per se. I used to post lyrics in some of my earlier caches, but I like to jam them with some history of the area, and find the lyrics get in the way.

That said, I think my more likeable songs for geocaching would be something along the lines of: *(GC8QW36)

I listened to this record a great deal in river valleys, and my local river valley feels like a great place to hike, slip down hills and cross the river whilst listening to this song and others. Also, the cache may be more of a T4.5, but don't tell anyone :P

Edited by DreamMachine74
On 8/4/2020 at 1:20 PM, Pontiac_CZ said:

Thank you for the Proclaimers! :ph34r:  Has been looping in my head for 2 hours now.

Often I get these earworms on a cache hunt, and I try to turn them into cache logs.  On a cache titled after that Proclaimers hit:

But I would find five hundred hides
Of terrain two point five or more
Just to bring the average up some more
To upsize my big final score...

On a crazy slog up a near-vertical forest to a DNF:

All uphill! Hahahahahaha

Ay Ay Ay Ay Ay Ay Ay

Crazy, but that's how it goes
Millions of cachers living as foes
Maybe, it's not too late
To learn how to filter, and forget how to hate

Scratchy wounds not healing