Biggest ammo can cache you have found?

I''ve found plenty of 50 cal. ammo cans.  While at an Army Navy store I saw that there are some even larger.  (They are mostly scaled up versions but the biggest disappointment was a lack of a handle on the top.)  It would really be neat to find one of these giant ammo cans but it would also maybe bring a bad name to the sport so I would be worried about using them.

https://www.cleanammocans.com/2-pack-40mm-ammo-cans.html

17 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

The biggest ammo can I found was a walk in ammo can. You could fit a bed and small kitchen in there.  The second biggest one I found was about 2 feet x 3 feet. 

A shipping container?

Not an ammo box, but the biggest containers I have found, are a large metal toy box full of good toys, and a metal box that once held a missile head.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, SamLowrey said:

I''ve found plenty of 50 cal. ammo cans.  While at an Army Navy store I saw that there are some even larger.  (They are mostly scaled up versions but the biggest disappointment was a lack of a handle on the top.) 

It would really be neat to find one of these giant ammo cans but it would also maybe bring a bad name to the sport so I would be worried about using them.

Like others, we've seen many larger, but who's gonna fill the things with swag ?   :)    Wasted space.

A Lackey that was from NJ used one on one of their caches.   

• Helpful 1
1 hour ago, fizzymagic said:

The original Project APE caches were in larger cans that what you have showed.  They were 120mm ammo cans, 17 x 32 x 81 cm.

Yes! I found the one in Brazil a few years ago and was surprised how big it was. I literally didn't see it because I was searching close to the ground and not expecting something nearly coming up to my hips.

• Upvote 2
2 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

Like others, we've seen many larger, but who's gonna fill the things with swag ?   :)    Wasted space.

A Lackey that was from NJ used one on one of their caches.   

The big toy box I found, was jammed packed with good toys. Hardly any room left. My guess is the CO had cleaned out their children's toys.

1 hour ago, Goldenwattle said:

My guess is the CO had cleaned out their children's toys.

Or won the lottery?

From my limited experience, the ammo can / shoebox size seems to be about the biggest which has ample space inside while still being small enough to hide in a relatively urban area. I've yet to wander off into the back country out here and check out the caches available where feet rarely tread. Might need to convince Mrs. 473 that an off road vehicle is a good investment. For safety... >.> 

• Funny 1

120mm ammo cans, 17 x 32 x 81 cm

Yes, I've found this size a number of times. A.P.E. caches and others.  I've been offered one recently.  I could hide it but I don't much want to carry it.  Need donkey. 

The last one I found had been carried out an ATV by a trail maintainer (area otherwise only open for walking).  Found  5 times, and then was struck by lightning.  Of all the trees in that forest....  lid was blown off, body of the cache was twisted and fried, tree it was in was gone to below the ground. The can body  landed standing upright on its narrow end, and was full of water when I found it.  Had been loaded with primo swag. Additionally CO had left a lock n lock full of pathtags and unactivated geocoins. I'd left another.  

• Surprised 1
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, terratin said:

Yes! I found the one in Brazil a few years ago and was surprised how big it was. I literally didn't see it because I was searching close to the ground and not expecting something nearly coming up to my hips.

We took a trip to Maryland in 2005, specifically to find Crab Creek (Project APE).  It was muggled a year later.  Great ammo can!

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, TmdAndGG said:

Never actually found it, but seen lots of photos.

SCGT - A Cool Cache **

Of course, it's not actually a real ammo can...

Probably the biggest one that we've actually found was this one. No photos though.

I've found that one too, but it's just a little guy compared to "Smile" Ammo Can in the Woods(DAYLIGHT ONLY CACHE).  Check out the gallery.

I've hidden one like the APE caches, but it was muggled once so the next one was half full of concrete.  The can was never stolen, but the lid did vanish.  I have one sitting in the shed about 1/3 as tall but about four times square.  The only one I've seen so I reluctant to hide it, afraid it'll be stolen.

• Upvote 2

At least one year the Florida Finders Fest Gauntlet used ammo cans that looked normal but were much bigger than a .50 cal can (each had a .50 cal can inside as an apparent FTF prize, if you were willing to lug it with you).

The first true Large cache I ever found was one of the 120mm tall ammo cans. Unfortunately the CO had it listed as size Other. (Long since archived; dunno what became of the rare container. )

An infamous local hide, placed twice for Cacheapalooza, was a 120mm ammo can containing a folded tarp and otherwise full of film cans. One of the film cans held the logsheet. Never sought it, but heard stories. I think it's still in semi-retirement in the CO's garage. 

The largest fake ammo can I've found was the aforementioned Cool Cache in Florida. It was plywood and big enough to hold a person inside.

Honorable mention to a cache near Tallahassee, FL. It was a .50 cal can or close to it, but painted yellow and placed as the cheese in a giant fake mousetrap. Must have been full to haul out into the woods - perhaps built in place. Sadly the ammo can had gotten leaky. Otherwise a great hide.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

The biggest fake ammo can I've seen was at Geowoodstock. Wow, this pic of Lep, me, and all41 is from 10 years ago. And after looking at this event, I just realized that it's been 10 years since our friend Allanon died (this event was the last time I saw him). :(

73733ff0-857f-4bc6-99e5-2bc55e82801e_l.j

• Upvote 1
  • Love 2