How much do I have to pay...

RCH65

...to get rid of this advertising stuff on listings, the dashboard (etc). NOW: Including videos! 

Is it really necessary to have ads on paid sites ?
Or is there a secret 'platinum membership' that I'm not aware of...? :blink::ph34r:

• Upvote 2
  • Funny 1
2 hours ago, RCH65 said:

...to get rid of this advertising stuff on listings, the dashboard (etc). NOW: Including videos!

It can be done for free. Use an adblocker, use Ghostery, use noscript..... I can't remember when I last saw any ad on a website.

It will make browsing safer too (especially with the noscript add-on).

1 hour ago, on4bam said:

It can be done for free. Use an adblocker, use Ghostery, use noscript..... I can't remember when I last saw any ad on a website.

Me neither. 

4 hours ago, RCH65 said:

to get rid of this advertising stuff on listings, the dashboard (etc). NOW: Including videos! 

I don't see ads on any of those things. 

I also use an ad blocker, which is etra for the geocaching.com pages.
It would be better if there were no advertising for PM (or for all). On every website / app that I know, a PM removes the advertisement. Only geocaching.com doesn't do that.

10 hours ago, on4bam said:

Yes, of course... I know...

52 minutes ago, capoaira said:

It would be better if there were no advertising for PM (or for all). On every website / app that I know, a PM removes the advertisement. Only geocaching.com doesn't do that.

That's what I mean and therefore the question goes to Groundspeak: How much do I have to pay? +5$? +10$? Seriously!
Obviously, the current amount is too little...

• Upvote 1
On 7/31/2020 at 2:06 PM, RCH65 said:

Is it really necessary to have ads on paid sites ?
Or is there a secret 'platinum membership' that I'm not aware of...? :blink::ph34r:

"Platinum" membership is a dumb, old joke that some add time-to-time...

I just "fixed" my Recently Viewed on my profile, so only the caches I'm interested in stay "at the top".

All 21 cache pages had an ad just below Attributes on the right.

I don't notice the small add at the bottom of my profile, rarely needing anything below Search Options.   :)

Edited by cerberus1

I often/mostly don't notice the ads and went now to check what ads there are on geocaching. Even those I have noticed, I have never been encouraged to buy anything from. Who are they I think? I wouldn't know if I could trust them. But checking now was useful, as I now know that our local government public bus service starts it's new timetable this month. That was a useful ad.

Be like me and purposely don't look at the ads. The sound is off on my computer except when I need it, so if any ad has sound I am not distracted by that.

• Surprised 1
4 minutes ago, MartyBartfast said:

Me too, that page looks exactly like on4bam's screenshot and that's on the browser(s) where I don't have any adblocker running, and on those browsers I DO see the adverts down the right hand side of individual cache pages.

Probably ads are dependent on the location.

The only Ads I ever get on the website are Geocaching related. I've seen them so many times that I don't even realize that they're there anymore. 

Edit: I lied. I get non-geocaching related Ads too. I told you that I overlook them;)

Edited by TmdAndGG