Your Favourite AL

FootyFan123

I've done a handful of Adventure Labs, and received a credit that I am working on getting published as I write this.  None of the ones I have done stands out particularly, as being a favorite, but I have learned what I enjoy and what NOT to do when I write my own!

Have a theme, something that ties all the locations together logically, so the Adventure makes sense.  A downtown history tour, the statues and monuments in a park, etc.  And since your character count in the description is limited, let the location provide as much info as possible without you repeating it in the description (a plaque for instance).  Let the description give info NOT found at the location, use the description to tell WHY this location fits your theme.

Unless it's crucial to your theme, don't specify the order of the locations; let folks wander and decide what order to visit your locations. And, if possible, make the question(s) to answer relevant to the theme; I've enjoyed finding the answers in the plaques, or in the history associated with the location, much more so than counting the number of windows or something trivial that has nothing to do with the adventure.  Yes, it's tough to come up with questions like that, where answers can't be googled, but it makes it more fun and educational for the adventurers if they have to get involved in your theme to get the answers!

Try to make your questions as unambiguous as possible; there's nothing more frustrating to an adventurer than getting the wrong answer over and over because you read the question in a different way than the creator intended. You probably can't anticipate every possibility, but try to make it as clear as you can, but fun at the same time!

Let potential seekers know how much time and how much travel is involved to complete your adventure.  There are guidelines, but since the one I am working on is NOT walkable, I'm giving the miles involved in driving the route, and about how much time I anticipate it will take, so folks can plan accordingly.  

Have fun, and congratulations on being awarded an adventure to create!

Edited by CAVinoGal
Typo corrections
  • Upvote 2
  • Surprised 1
  • Helpful 2
31 minutes ago, ecanderson said:

Every one I've seen so far has been a historical tour of old buildings.  Has anyone seen a truly inventive adventure published?

I commented on one in the forums recently that looked highly creative. I'll see if I can find it. 

Edit: 

Edited by Max and 99