Garmin Oregon 750t, how many total caches will it hold?

8 minutes ago, Moun10Bike said:

I'm not sure what the limit is if you load using GPX files, but if you load GGZ files (which are essentially compressed and indexed GPX files) you are effectively unlimited (about 4 million). GGZ load can be accomplished via GSAK.

Thanks for the reply. sorry, i do not know what GGZ or GSAK files are. can you get these from pocket queries? i believe that pocket queries are limited to 1000? I just googled GSAK, and it looks like some software for windows? i don't have one of those, i have a mac. anyone know how many can be loaded from pocket queries, GPX files?  thanks again for the reply. jimmy

You are limited to a total of 2000 GPX+GGZ files on your Oregon 7x0. 

See GPSrChive > Oregon 7x0 > Maps > Storage Capacity for these specs.

If each PQ has 1K caches, and you had no other GPX files (unlikely), this would provide a theoretical limit of 2,000,000 geocaches using this method.

You are best off loading them wirelessly via GCLive.

Edited by Atlas Cached
1 minute ago, Atlas Cached said:

You are limited to a total of 2000 GPX+GGZ files on your Oregon 7x0. 

See GPSrChive > Oregon 7x0 > Maps > Storage Capacity for these specs.

If each PQ has 1K caches, and you had no other GPX files (unlikely), this would provide a theoretical limit of 2,000,000 geocaches using this method.

Isn't there still a limit on caches even if you are under the GPX file limit?

3 minutes ago, SimmyJellers said:

great, that says millions of caches with GPX. just the answer i was looking for. that is millions more than i need ;-)

thanks for your help! jimmy

That is not what it says. 8^)

I do not believe anyone has ever pushed far enough to find the GPX limit alone, as GGZ and GCLive methods are both easier and provide superior capacity.

1 minute ago, Moun10Bike said:

Isn't there still a limit on caches even if you are under the GPX file limit?

Cross posting!

See my answer above.

I do not believe anyone has ever pushed far enough to find that limit. I feel like I have loaded more than 50k in GPX format alone, but that was so long ago I can not say for certain. And, with GGZ and GCLive options both available, what would be the point?

2 minutes ago, Atlas Cached said:

Cross posting!

See my answer above.

I do not believe anyone has ever pushed far enough to find that limit. I feel like I have loaded more than 50k in GPX format alone, but that was so long ago I can not say for certain. And, with GGZ and GCLive options both available, what would be the point?

Millions is more than enough:)

i just tried to read about what a GGZ file was and how to use it, but the garmin site seems to be down. how do you get these GGZ files, and then can they be dragged and dropped into the GPX folder on my garmin 750t, the way i have done forever? thanks again for all this info!

1 minute ago, SimmyJellers said:

Millions is more than enough:)

i just tried to read about what a GGZ file was and how to use it, but the garmin site seems to be down. how do you get these GGZ files, and then can they be dragged and dropped into the GPX folder on my garmin 750t, the way i have done forever? thanks again for all this info!

You will need to use one of many capable third party software titles (GSAK already mentioned) to export geocaches in GGZ format.

See the GPSrChive > Oregon 7x0 > Operation > Files and Folders page for information on what files go where.

Then slow down, and take some time to read all the other information provided there.

Most of you questions can be answered with a little time reading.