A question about my log

In the screen capture bellow there a few things that I don't understand. 1st what is the white box on the left for? 2nd. what are the next 2 columns after the white box for?  What is the smelly face for? Next the info  column ? then the "D/T"  column? And finely "found by user"  (the most confusing). Why is there 2 different dates? And I couldn't be hunting for a Geocache on May 09th, 2020 when I was in the hospital with a systemic infection of the blood.  Every entry in the log has 2 different dates for the same log entry. I think it was about 2004 or 2005 when I did my last hunt until today. I found the Hat Rock park cache on the way home from the Post Office this morning.  

479764801_logentry.jpg.8bc7e5e67faad0a9b11f14e2d0f20cd6.jpg

1. A tick box to select the cache. You can download the selected caches as a single file. That option is on the bottom of the page

2. Direction and distance. I've never seen anything in this column.

3. The number of favourites the cache has earned.

4. Found status (smiley = found).

5. The info column indicates if there are trackables in the cache, if the cache is Premium Only and/or if Needs Maintenance is on.

6. D=difficulty. T=terrain. The higher the number, the more difficult the cache (1=easy; 5=hard).

7. The lower date is the user found date, the upper date is the last found date of the cache.

Edited by StefandD
  • Helpful 2

Welcome back to geocaching!  Here are the answers to your questions.

1st what is the white box on the left for?

A:  See the explanation at the bottom of the search results page.  Check the boxes for any geocaches on that page in order to download them for use on a GPS receiver.

2nd. what are the next 2 columns after the white box for? 

A:  The second column indicates the direction and distance of the cache from your search point's coordinates.  Since "found by user" is not a location-based search, this column is empty.  The third column indicates how many favorite points that cache has been awarded by premium members who found that cache.

What is the smelly face for?

The smiley face indicates that you've found that cache.  In a "found by user" search, every line will have a smiley in this column.  In a location-based search, caches you haven't found will show up in the search results list without a smiley.

Next the info  column ?

A:  See the explanation at the bottom of the search results page.  The Info column tells you if a cache is for Premium Members only, whether it contains any trackables in its inventory, and whether the "Needs Maintenance" attribute has been set.

then the "D/T"  column?

A: "D/T" is shorthand abbreviation for the Difficulty and Terrain ratings assigned by the cache owner to that geocache.

And finely "found by user"  (the most confusing). Why is there 2 different dates?

A:  See the explanation at the bottom of the search results page.  The date in green is the date you found the cache (if applicable).  The top date is the last date on which that cache was found by any user.

• Helpful 4
3 hours ago, frostengel said:

And not to forget: welcome back after 16 years of geocaching pause. :-)

I didn't even know that something like that existed in 2004.

Jochen

That's what I was looking at the log for, to see when was the last cache that I found date wise.  Is there a way to sort the log via date found?   I was coming back home from the Post Office this morning and the Hat Rock park cache is almost next door to the Post Office. Also it was still cool enough to go and find that cache.  I can't be out in the heat more then a half an hour do to diabetes related medical problems. It darn near wiped me out doing the half mile walk earlier this month to replace cache container on 1 of the 2 caches that I still have out.  I also need to find a way to get a new/used GPS receiver. I don't care what brand it is or if it has a few dings and scratches on it as long as it works that I can trade for. I have 2 laptops that works that I can trade. 1 needs a new internal keyboard that I plain to get. The cell phone app works great. But every cell phone that I have had is almost imposable to see in the direct sun light.

• Upvote 1

I took a 10+ year leave of absence from caching.  The irony is that what really triggered it was moving from a less active one to one I figured, even at that time, I would be flooded with opportunity.  But I got distracted with other things and my old Magellan Map 330 was on the blink.  I stubbornly refused to get a smart phone for a long time but after I did I eventually used it to get started again.  What I call my "new" phone is an iPhone 6 which is probably ancient by most standards but I love it and it works even better than the Samsung I had at first.

BTW, I always wonder if people look at a 10 year absence as some indication I was in jail or something.  I assure you that is not the case.  LOL!

• Funny 2
14 hours ago, steve kc7byp said:

PS: a friend got me into Geocaching. I think it was ether tumbleweed or YeOleImposter. And I still have that survival whistle that I won at the local Geocache meeting, many a blue moon ago.

A survival whistle would make a great swag item.  My wife just bought a couple of Hipat whiles ($5.29 for a pack of 2). They're small and would easily fit in "small" geocache but are capable of producing up to 120db.  I've seen similar 12 packs for about $12.  

1 hour ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

A survival whistle would make a great swag item. 

My wife just bought a couple of Hipat whiles ($5.29 for a pack of 2). They're small and would easily fit in "small" geocache but are capable of producing up to 120db.  I've seen similar 12 packs for about $12.  

Are you talking about those orange, plastic whistles with the hollow cavity for "stuff" (and a mini compass on the end) ? 

Yep, they're good for kids swag.    We used to get them in bulk for events too.   Kept kids occupied.  :)

Mom n Dad enjoying, a quiet day in the woods with a whistle every couple a seconds got us to stop doing that.     :D

For actual emergencies, I went from a fox40 to a Tops.  Both pealess, so less chance of freeze.    126db and a flat design.

4 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

Are you talking about those orange, plastic whistles with the hollow cavity for "stuff" (and a mini compass on the end) ? 

Yep, they're good for kids swag.    We used to get them in bulk for events too.   Kept kids occupied.  :)

Mom n Dad enjoying, a quiet day in the woods with a whistle every couple a seconds got us to stop doing that.     :D

For actual emergencies, I went from a fox40 to a Tops.  Both pealess, so less chance of freeze.    126db and a flat design.

I have a Fox storm whistle on my PFD.  One night I was kayaking with a group of about 8 kayakers on a full moon paddle on a small lake.  Every one of use had head lamps and a couple had lights insider their poly kayaks (that works especially well with a yellow kayak).   We had been out on the lake for awhile when a pontoon boat started to head toward us.  When it was a few 100 feet away we started flashing our lights toward it but apparently they weren't actually watching where they were going.  When it got within 100' or so I blew my Fox storm whistle and I immediately heard them say "stop,  there's someone out there".   That whistle may have saved the life of one of the kayakers.  The whistles my wife just got are about half the and are blue. I tested one and they're very loud.    

1 minute ago, SamLowrey said:

Never even thought of a whistle for safety.

OT.

If in a real bind,  it's often rare you can yell loud and long enough for rescuers to find you.    :)

That's why a lot of backpack makers are now including some cheapy whistle built into a buckle.

Just before this whistle was brought to mind as a safety measure (I've ordered a few, now) that viral video of a black bear "selfie" incident made me worry whether I should carry something like bear spray.  Granted, I don't think it is a huge problem in Texas but it would protect against other prey animals, I suppose.  I've been very lucky so far encountering only wild hogs and one rattlesnake. 

Edited by SamLowrey
5 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

I have a Fox storm whistle on my PFD.  One night I was kayaking with a group of about 8 kayakers on a full moon paddle on a small lake.  Every one of use had head lamps and a couple had lights insider their poly kayaks (that works especially well with a yellow kayak).   We had been out on the lake for awhile when a pontoon boat started to head toward us.  When it was a few 100 feet away we started flashing our lights toward it but apparently they weren't actually watching where they were going.  When it got within 100' or so I blew my Fox storm whistle and I immediately heard them say "stop,  there's someone out there".   That whistle may have saved the life of one of the kayakers.  The whistles my wife just got are about half the and are blue. I tested one and they're very loud.    

I wonder how they'd stand up against the old (1930's) police whistle I use.  It was handed down thru the family and I used while on Ski Patrol years ago and it could be heard all over the mountain.  Probably heavier than the plastic's but when I need a whistle I really want a whistle.

The whistle that I won at the meeting is black and has a compass (the compass is dead now) and an air temperature tube.   I was into search and rescue with the Civil Air Patrol. A guy was hiking in the local hills and got his leg tangled up in a chain attached to an old animal trap. He heard us coming but was to weak to yell. A whistle saved his life.

• Upvote 2
On 7/30/2020 at 7:45 PM, SamLowrey said:

Just before this whistle was brought to mind as a safety measure (I've ordered a few, now) that viral video of a black bear "selfie" incident made me worry whether I should carry something like bear spray.  Granted, I don't think it is a huge problem in Texas but it would protect against other prey animals, I suppose.  I've been very lucky so far encountering only wild hogs and one rattlesnake. 

They should work on cougars.

• Upvote 1