URwigo.....timed race

makgonz_JOSE

When I created "Run to the Outback", I made several checkpoints along the trail.  If the person reaches the checkpoint in time, the next waypoint is displayed.  If the time expires, the player has to return to the last checkpoint, then try again.  Doing this, it does force the player to keep on the trail.  (Going off trail takes more time, so I wasn't worried about that.  I was worried about someone making the long hike and having to do it all over again, so that's why I introduced checkpoints.)

• Helpful 1
On 7/30/2020 at 10:33 AM, Ranger Fox said:

When I created "Run to the Outback", I made several checkpoints along the trail.  If the person reaches the checkpoint in time, the next waypoint is displayed.  If the time expires, the player has to return to the last checkpoint, then try again.  Doing this, it does force the player to keep on the trail.  (Going off trail takes more time, so I wasn't worried about that.  I was worried about someone making the long hike and having to do it all over again, so that's why I introduced checkpoints.)

I need to download the source to check this out.  I don't wanna make checkpoints though.  That might be more work on my part.    As if I'm gonna walk and jog the trail myself 

To create that cartridge, I used the track log on my GPSr.  I jogged the trail, but took my time.  I then added 25% or something to my time and created the cartridge.  Many years later, I relaxed the time further by adding another 25% - 50% on top of that.  If I was going to require it of others, I felt it important to go through the same experience and then ask for less.  I accompanied the group that FTFed the cartridge.  They brought bikes.  Poor me, I was unaware they'd be doing so, was the only one without a bike, and had to run behind them, trying to keep up.  Geocaching has put me through a lot, not all of it nice.

If you do not want to jog the trail yourself, at least walk it so you can collect realistic times.  But I believe if you don't put in at least the same effort you expect from others, that leaves you with shakier ground on which to stand if someone accomplishes the cartridge/challenge through alternative means.  (This isn't a moderator official thing or anything.  It is clearly my opinion.  As such, we are all entitled to our opinions and to agree or disagree with others' opinions to the extent they overlap with our own, with respectful discourse.  In the end, though, what will win out is Groundspeak's seeming rule that says as long as you sign the log book, it's counted as a find.  So, really, our own opinions on anything leading up to this matter seem to be moot.)

Create a start and an end zone. Then create hidden zones along the way.
When the player has left the start zone, activate the first hidden zone, activate and show the final zone and start the timer.
When the player enters and leaves the first hidden zone, activate the 2nd, etc...
In the last hidden zone you set a variable to true.
In the final zone you check whether this variable is true. If not, the player has gone the wrong way.

I want to do something very similar except it will be on a lake and will need to be done with some sort of water craft. A start zone that when you leave it the time starts and the second zone when you enter in the allowed time it gives you the final coords. It seems simple but I cant figure out how to do it.  Can anyone give me a hand?