NASA’s Mars Rover Perseverance is trackable via Geocaching! (TB5EFXK)

MissJenn

2 hours ago, thebruce0 said:

Yes that only happened in the official app. I tested it and verified the app considered it discovered, and it kept the log in the app, so there was no way to tell that it wasn't - the website did not show the log while it was locked. The other test was to see if it was cached and would be posted as soon as the TB was unlocked. That did not happen. I had to post a new discover log, which I did via the web.  Based on that result, I conclude that the app had a caching bug (or cached logs were cleared before the TB was unlocked).  My prior log was not posted automatically nor backdated.  So I believe all the "old" logs were backdated manually by the geocachers.

Nope, I didn‘t backdate my log. Logged in the app on 3/11, and it appeared automatically on the webpage with that date once the trackable page was unlocked.

• Surprised 1

Oh... this... is weird. 

When it was unlocked, the TB listing page didn't indicate I had a discover log. I then posted one from the website, and then it said I did.

So I just checked my trackable log history now and it does indeed show the one I posted via the app on the 9th.  I stand corrected. Strange turn of events nonetheless...

• Funny 1

Apart from the fact that there is a trackable on Perseverance, the rover is also the first to go caching on another planet...sample caching that is.

So in some way this is the first cacher on Mars? :cool:

If a geocache where to exist on Mars and Perseverance finds it, whould this mean the rover or the driver can log the find?:lostsignal:

On 3/17/2021 at 3:36 PM, Korichnovui said:

I looked through all the raw images taken by WATSON and SHERLOC and couldn’t figure it out. Tried some of the number sequences I saw but they were not correct. Now I feel like a dummy :(

Right there with you!

Okay, I know it's not a closely guarded secret, especially not now, and maybe I'm naive, but I find it a bit disappointing to see how many Discoverers are posting images of the tracking code with their logs. On the first page of the TB's gallery, 8 of the 20 photos contain the code. Logs that say how much fun they had searching through the images until they finally spotted it and they then attach a photo of it, I guess to "prove" that they did. Is this percentage of spoiler images seen with regular TBs?

• Surprised 2
2 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

Is this percentage of spoiler images seen with regular TBs?

Probably depends of the TB's owner. I personally wouldn't want the code of my TB published, especially on my TB's gallery. but hey, this isn't my TB. I'm thankful for the spoilers that were available before the beamed image since finding the code in the beamed image wasn't that easy & would be missed if you didn't know what you were looking for.  It's interesting to see what creative pics some folks uploaded.

• Upvote 2

A new batch of SHERLOC / WATSON photos was posted to the NASA site a few hours ago!  There are color photos, and images of much higher quality (some of which show the tracking code).  I encourage everyone to keep checking out the gallery to follow our favorite trackable on its travels.

• Helpful 3
  • Love 1

This looks like the shield to protect Ingenuity.

This could mean they are getting ready to test this helicopter on the surface of Mars.

This sequence of activities, which is expected to take 10 sols if all goes well, begins with the deployment of the debris shield and ends with the helicopter on the surface of Mars. Each step is accompanied by communications back to Earth (via the rover and orbiters and NASA’s Deep Space Network) along with periodic transmission of pictures taken by the rover’s cameras, including the WATSON imager that is part of the SHERLOC instrument located on the end of the rover’s robotic arm.

This period will include the rover’s drive to the center of the helipad, the release of the lock on the Mars Helicopter Delivery System and slow rotation of the helicopter down to the surface, deployment of the helicopter’s legs, the charging of the batteries to 100%, and then the gentle drop 6 inches (15 centimeters) to the surface on the last sol. After the drop, Perseverance drives away to expose Ingenuity to the Sun so the helicopter can recharge its batteries.

These pictures seem like good news!

Edited by simon_cornelus
  • Helpful 1
1 hour ago, Smitherington said:

I would like to edit my log of the Perseverance Rover TB but it won’t let me. It never opens up the edit window.  Does anyone know why?

I think there's a bug.

There are a number of ways of getting to a trackable log, and depending on the route taken the URL will be different.

1. From (e.g.) your Dashboard > Latest Activity > Yours > Edit log
https://www.geocaching.com/track/log.aspx?LogReferenceCode=TL...

2. From (e.g.) your Dashboard > TRACKABLES > Trackable logs > Visit log
https://www.geocaching.com/track/log.aspx?LUID=f523a504...

If you're seeing the first URL with logReferenceCode, the Edit option doesn't work; with the second URL, using the LUID, it does.

I filtered the images taken by SHERLOC - WATSON as indicated in the instructions. It results in 6 pages of photos so far, about 300 images. I took so much time carefully going through the photos but found only one with any numbers, and it wasn't correct. My buddy sent me the photo that you need, and it's nowhere found in the list of images when filtering by SHERLOC - WATSON. What did I do wrong?

instructions.jpg

12 minutes ago, steve4nlanguage said:

I filtered the images taken by SHERLOC - WATSON as indicated in the instructions. It results in 6 pages of photos so far, about 300 images. I took so much time carefully going through the photos but found only one with any numbers, and it wasn't correct. My buddy sent me the photo that you need, and it's nowhere found in the list of images when filtering by SHERLOC - WATSON. What did I do wrong?

You did nothing wrong. When I just now filtered for Watson images, I get 288 images, six pages. The TB code is on page one right now.

It took me four times to find the image myself when the announcement was made that it had been sent.

Edited by Max and 99

Greetings all,

I am new to geocaching. I think I’m missing something I could not find numbers on anything except what appear to be part numbers. I did find a picture of a guy who seems to be “finding” something. Is that plate what I’m looking for? Is it some kind of code? 
I'm lost :-(

3 minutes ago, CaptLawrence said:

Greetings all,

I am new to geocaching. I think I’m missing something I could not find numbers on anything except what appear to be part numbers. I did find a picture of a guy who seems to be “finding” something. Is that plate what I’m looking for? Is it some kind of code? 

Hint: it has numbers and letters in the code. The plate is not what you are looking for. I will PM you the code. ;)

• Surprised 1
8 hours ago, CaptLawrence said:

Greetings all,

Did you check out the Image of the week?

19 hours ago, MissJenn said:

https://mars.nasa.gov/mars2020/multimedia/raw-images/image-of-the-week/week-5

Did you see that WATSON's calibration target is NASA's Image of the Week? Thanks to you, if you cast a vote towards this.

Question, and hopefully this wasn't answered three pages ago: from the coin link Captain linked above, has anyone worked out what the "dancing people" message is? I know the rover is covered in little hidden messages, I thought it might be flag semaphore but the figures are changing leg positions as well.

13 minutes ago, Unit473L said:

Question, and hopefully this wasn't answered three pages ago: from the coin link Captain linked above, has anyone worked out what the "dancing people" message is? I know the rover is covered in little hidden messages, I thought it might be flag semaphore but the figures are changing leg positions as well.

There are a few news articles about the calibration target, parachute, tire treads, and more that tell what the decoded codes mean.  I looked it up while trying to find where the 6-digit "Tracking Code" might be in that picture.  

Edited by kunarion
19 minutes ago, Unit473L said:

I think that's the easiest one! 

• Upvote 1
10 minutes ago, Unit473L said:

Dancing men code

I think it's from Sherlock Holmes...

Appropriately considering sherloc and watson on the rover

• Upvote 1

There is an error in the dancing men code on the calibration target. One character.  We chatted about it on the live touch down watch party at one point. Much of this was known shortly after the image was first released last year, so if you managed to avoid spoilers for everything to do with that disc all this time, mad props to you :) 

20 hours ago, simon_cornelus said:

Dancing men code

I think it's from Sherlock Holmes...

Brilliant, thank you. 

16 hours ago, thebruce0 said:

if you managed to avoid spoilers for everything to do with that disc all this time

Looks I'd managed to avoid pretty much everything. I was vaguely aware that the calibration image was already available prior to the transmission, but didn't even know what I was looking for. The first time I saw it was after people started logging it and adding images to the TB's gallery, and even then it took me a day or two before I realised it was the very faint text on the gray circle. If I'd actually gone digging through the raw images myself to try and find the code correctly, I'm pretty sure I would have missed it.

It's also about now that I realise I work too much, and I need to cut back...

Mars Perseverance Sol 39: WATSON Camera

Mars Perseverance Sol 39: WATSON Camera

Picture from yesterday gives a nice view from Ingenuity witch now all 4 legs into position.

During the fourth sol, the final two landing legs will snap into position. On each of those four sols, the Wide Angle Topographic Sensor for Operations and eNgineering (WATSON) imager will take confirmation shots of Ingenuity as it incrementally unfolds into its flight configuration. In its final position, the helicopter will hang suspended at about 5 inches (13 centimeters) over the Martian surface. At that point, only a single bolt and a couple dozen tiny electrical contacts will connect the helicopter to Perseverance. On the fifth sol of deployment, the team will use the final opportunity to utilize Perseverance as a power source and charge Ingenuity’s six battery cells.

“Once we cut the cord with Perseverance and drop those final five inches to the surface, we want to have our big friend drive away as quickly as possible so we can get the Sun’s rays on our solar panel and begin recharging our batteries,” said Balaram.

• Upvote 1

On 3/26/2021 at 5:48 PM, Unit473L said:

I just solved that one, I hadn't looked at it much yet.