NASA’s Mars Rover Perseverance is trackable via Geocaching! (TB5EFXK)

MissJenn

3 minutes ago, PhilatSea said:

Am I missing something here? It sure looks like NASA has posted <redacted> on it's page.

Of course you're missing something. You're missing the image that will be sent from Mars to Earth from the Perseverance Rover. When that image is sent the travel bug page will be unlocked and we can Discover it. 

Edited by Max and 99
  • Upvote 2
3 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

Of course you're missing something. You're missing the image that will be sent from Mars to Earth from the perseverance Rover. When that image is sent the travel bug page will be unlocked and we can Discover it. 

Thanks, Then why would they post it under images to let the cat out the bag sooner than needed. This only creates probems.

1 hour ago, Martemous said:

For those who are interested, Shop Geocaching has Mars Mission Perseverance Rover merchandise available now with new items coming soon: https://shop.geocaching.com/default/new-items/mars-mission-perseverance-rover

Does any of that merchandise have the elusive tracking code on it? In hindsight, that might have been a good way to drum up sales, given NASA's reluctance to point Watson at its calibration target.

• Upvote 3
  • Funny 2
3 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

Does any of that merchandise have the elusive tracking code on it? In hindsight, that might have been a good way to drum up sales, given NASA's reluctance to point Watson at its calibration target.

How true, how true. :D

Edited by LeataCharity
On 3/10/2021 at 8:17 PM, Max and 99 said:

The Logbook. I get it most Tuesdays, that I can remember.

This may help, in case you are not receiving it:

Thanks. I went back & looked at Tuesday's email. Many times I don't download the pictures, so I never noticed it was called "The Logbook". And this week, I stopped reading when it got to the Wonders of the Word, so I missed the "HQ Happenings" & their announcement about the potential sighting on March 10th. Guess I'll have to read more closely from now on.

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 2

A few other things that slow the process down include Mars’ rotation and only about 12 hours of daylight, relaying the photos up the satellite that sends them to earth, the limited time each day that the rover is in range of the satellite, and the limited time each day that the satellite is in position to send the signal to earth. 

• Helpful 1
14 minutes ago, Joe_L said:

A few other things that slow the process down include Mars’ rotation and only about 12 hours of daylight, relaying the photos up the satellite that sends them to earth, the limited time each day that the rover is in range of the satellite, and the limited time each day that the satellite is in position to send the signal to earth. 

That too. I didn't think of that. Thanks. :D

17 minutes ago, LeataCharity said:

Wow!!!!! $22.99 That's high even for geocaching shop(sort of)!

There's actually one that looks quite detailed on Amazon, about double the price of this one. It's not Lego though, and some reviews said that instructions are non-existent. Do a search if you're interested, been away from a while and not sure if shopping links to 3rd party sites are allowed.

I also found the Lego Curiosity rover (close enough for government work) but the only price I found was over $500, so I'll give that a miss.

• Upvote 1
  • Surprised 1
26 minutes ago, CAPTAINVALPO96 said:

There are now 16540 people watching it. Don’t you know that once someone finds out that it is discoverable that it is very likely that someone will post on the page stating it?

And do you know once cachers start logging it, all the email that will be sent out with those logs. I am not sure Groundspeak is ready to generate that many emails every few seconds. How to create a DOS attack.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, on4bam said:

This tread looks like a roadtrip with little children. "Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet........."

Another reason I'm not going to log it (and yes I have the correct code).

I'm not particularly itching to log it but I'm curious to see what it looks like when Watson's finally pointed at it and would rather not have that moment spoiled by any of the spoilers that are doing the rounds. It all seems a bit like sneaking out to open the presents under the Christmas tree.

1 hour ago, barefootjeff said:

I'm not particularly itching to log it but I'm curious to see what it looks like when Watson's finally pointed at it and would rather not have that moment spoiled by any of the spoilers that are doing the rounds. It all seems a bit like sneaking out to open the presents under the Christmas tree.

I confess, curiosity (or should that be perseverance?) got the better of me back in July, so I guess I slightly spoiled this for myself, but I’m still really enjoying the ride.

I’ve always had an interest in these space exploration missions but thanks to this trackable, I am so much more engaged this time round.  Yes, I’m on the lookout for a photo of the calibration plate, but I’ll be coming back to the NASA website long after I’ve logged the trackable to see what else they discover.

10 hours ago, on4bam said:

This tread looks like a roadtrip with little children. "Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet........."

Another reason I'm not going to log it (and yes I have the correct code).

Why not log it? It will give you a souvenir and another discovered TB.

Edited by CAPTAINVALPO96
Typo
  • Funny 1