NASA’s Mars Rover Perseverance is trackable via Geocaching! (TB5EFXK)

MissJenn

4 hours ago, runninbear1 said:

There is now a image category for the future SHERLOC - WATSON images. I'm guessing NASA is getting close to testing the equipment ?
https://mars.nasa.gov/mars2020/multimedia/raw-images/

?

I check the new, amazing images every day. I have a few favorites. To me, this one seems to summarize the mission of the Perseverance Rover. 

Screenshot_20210303-145230.png

Edited by Max and 99

For those not on Facebook, Perseverance has provided these updates. Pictures and much more at https://www.facebook.com/NASAPersevere

March 3:

This week I’ve been doing lots of health checkouts, getting ready to get to work. I’ve checked many tasks off my list, including instrument tests, imaging, and getting my arm moving. Warming up for a marathon of science.

March 5: 

A quick test of my steering, and things are looking good as I get ready to roll. My team and I are keen to get moving. One step at a time.

• Helpful 1
On 3/6/2021 at 7:14 AM, CAPTAINVALPO96 said:

I LOVED that video. It really does have a trackable code if you look close!

Tried to log it but it says: No results were found for your search.

Tried 2 different codes as the only ambiguous character to me is either "H" or "M"

???

Nice video! Well done!

Edited by Reno8
  • Funny 1
  • Love 1

UPDATE: We shared via a newsletter that the trackable could be unlocked on March 10. We have since learned that this date has most likely changed.

NASA surface operations comes with many challenges and are well beyond the influence of Geocaching HQ. The exact date of the camera calibration remains undetermined. Please realize that I am as excited as you all are: perhaps the most excited person out of everyone. OK, maybe the 3rd most excited person out of everyone. Thank you for being a part of this journey!

A few people keeping an eye on these NASA images are joking that someone appears to have left the lens cap on the camera. That funny comment is sort of true. There IS a motorized dust cap and the SHERLOC - WATSON images online now were taken with that dust cover on.  

Screen Shot 2021-03-09 at 10.34.29 AM.png

• Funny 4
  • Helpful 4
  • Love 1

The news letter I received said...  "will be"       maybe an oops...

• Get ready to log the first interplanetary trackable! The trackable will be unlocked sometime on March 10. Keep an eye out for the update on our Facebook or sign up for alerts on the trackable page! Remember, space travel can be challenging; so because of that, the exact time of the camera calibration has not been determined.
  • Funny 1
8 minutes ago, MissJenn said:

UPDATE: We shared via a newsletter that the trackable could be unlocked on March 10. We have since learned that this date has most likely changed.

Good to know, but irk.  The newsletter actually says it "will be unlocked sometime on March 10".  That's going to really bother some people, if this thread is any indication =/ heh

• Surprised 1
  • Helpful 1
11 hours ago, IceColdUK said:

Looks like we have the first photo from WATSON without the lens cap on.  Looking a bit more promising. ?

8D3E95A6-D9DA-400B-BF28-208F5BAB1410.thumb.jpeg.88fc07eb9fcd97bfb71b35246dbb50a6.jpeg

https://mars.nasa.gov/mars2020/multimedia/raw-images/SI0_0018_0668555815_008ECM_N0030578SRLC08001_0000LUJ

8 hours ago, CAPTAINVALPO96 said:

Yep. Looking better. Looks like geocaching HQ is going to have it today.

Well, as of Eastern time, it looks like there is a tiny bit more than 6 hours remaining. Looks like Geocaching HQ might not have it ready for eastern time on the date. 

• Funny 1
On 3/9/2021 at 12:47 PM, runninbear1 said:

The news letter I received said...  "will be"       maybe an oops...

• Get ready to log the first interplanetary trackable! The trackable will be unlocked sometime on March 10. Keep an eye out for the update on our Facebook or sign up for alerts on the trackable page! Remember, space travel can be challenging; so because of that, the exact time of the camera calibration has not been determined.

What newsletter is this?