Wonders of the World

Now that the other 2/3rds isn't caching like years ago (she cared about stats...), I go out when I can.

Right now that'd mean trying to walk in three feet of snow.  :D  Got some last time, and all I did was go out when I had the chance.

I don't hide souvenirs.  They're really only "faded out" on our profile dashboard anyway, so they'd only really be hidden to others.

- We didn't cache an entire month once when an "every day for a month" promotion would give us souvenirs we weren't interested in though.

Maybe if one didn't have other hobbies it'd bug 'em more.

For those of you who participated in our first Wonders of the World UnChallenge to see how long it took you to complete it without changing your caching habits one bit, the challenge continues! The Wonders of the World UnChallenge page has been updated along with the spreadsheet. Feel free to sign up if you want to. Will you stick to the UnChallenge or go ahead and try and knock them all out in a day? I have not decided which way I want to go just yet. 

• Funny 2
  • Surprised 1
20 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

I can filter the new wonders on the website but not on the app even after logging out and back in again. 

Hi Max and 99,

For the introduction of the new levels of Wonders of the World, you will need to be sure to have the latest app version which is 8.42.0.  If you are not running 8.42.0, once you update you should see the new levels.

Best,
brendanjw

3 minutes ago, brendanjw said:

Hi Max and 99,

For the introduction of the new levels of Wonders of the World, you will need to be sure to have the latest app version which is 8.42.0.  If you are not running 8.42.0, once you update you should see the new levels.

Best,
brendanjw

My updates are supposed to be automatic. I'll do that manually.

Yep, there they are! Thank you.

On 2/23/2021 at 8:43 PM, elrojo14 said:

For those of you who participated in our first Wonders of the World UnChallenge to see how long it took you to complete it without changing your caching habits one bit, the challenge continues! The Wonders of the World UnChallenge page has been updated along with the spreadsheet. Feel free to sign up if you want to. Will you stick to the UnChallenge or go ahead and try and knock them all out in a day? I have not decided which way I want to go just yet. 

Yay, lets go for the accidental wonder finds again! I have a cache trip planned, and no idea what wonders are included. Lets see if I catch them all :laughing:

• Surprised 1
  • Helpful 1

I'm usually pretty savvy with tech stuff, but this seems to have gotten the better of me. I've updated my app to the latest version, but I still can't see the new wonders in app. If I look at the same cache on a browser it shows me the new ones, just my app isn't playing nice.

Just checking to see if anybody else encounters this issue before I do the old uninstall/reinstall combo.

1 hour ago, Unit473L said:

I'm usually pretty savvy with tech stuff, but this seems to have gotten the better of me. I've updated my app to the latest version, but I still can't see the new wonders in app. If I look at the same cache on a browser it shows me the new ones, just my app isn't playing nice.

Just checking to see if anybody else encounters this issue before I do the old uninstall/reinstall combo.

All four groups of wonders are showing on my app under the search function, and I'm seeing the new wonders on geocache pages. on individual geocache pages on the app I can also see the wonders I have not yet qualified to find yet.

Edited by Max and 99
16 hours ago, Unit473L said:

Did you get it fixed?

1 hour ago, terratin said:

Unchallenge... well, this is going smashingly! Logged 10 of my 40 caches from the last two days and have found 5 sourvenirs yet. Not sure when the rest will come. But I guess it's time to start hiding souvenirs again :antenna:

Yeap me too I got them all already today somewhere in my 52 finds...

• Funny 1

Groundspeak, PLEASE stop the full page wonders promo every time I click on anything on the map on the app. There's no need for that. Every single time I touch anything different in the app: map, profile, anything, my entire screen is taken up by the wonders promo. This is not ok! Ten times a minute?? Even a small banner would be annoying but this takes up the entire page and every few seconds 

Edited by Max and 99
  • Upvote 1
  • Surprised 1
  • Helpful 2
  • Love 1

I have completed the Natural Wonders yesterday (logged today), got the Souvenir.

Today I did another outing specifically for 5/7 of the Solar System. After logging online, they are still at 0. They have not been awarded, why?

EDIT: Okay, they are here, about 30 min after logging.

Edited by clappy

I went out caching today for the first time since this new promotion started, making 7 finds. I only picked up one Natural Wonder out of those, though, as the other six only had Modern Wonders. At this rate I might need the whole year (or however long it runs for) to make much of a dent in them.

I'm a little confused. I cannot search for caches without selecting wonders, but new caches being published have no wonders. 

And another.

Well what do you know? An hour later and those new geocaches have now been assigned a wonder! Thank you to whoever fixed that!

Edited by Max and 99

I somewhat intentionally found my first of the new wonders a few weeks ago, but it wasn't....really intentional as well. I had made plans to go find that specific cache and wouldve done even if no wonders were there. Currently I have....3? I think 3 new wonders found....I'll probably finish this thing in a week, I'm probably going to beat my caching-in-a-day record soon....

• Surprised 1
On 2/23/2021 at 11:43 AM, elrojo14 said:

I have decided to get them all in exactly 14 caches, but it won't be in a single day. I did a nearly 100 mile dual sport ride last Saturday and found one cache and maintained and planted a few more. Tomorrow I will get the other 13 on my way to Death Valley along the Trona Power Trail. Super easy. Should have the final 10 wrapped up in like 30 minutes.

If I were not trying to find them all in exactly 14 caches, there would be no challenge at all to this promotion. Oh well. 

• Surprised 3

Apologies if this had already been asked (I've only scan read the previous 5 pages). I previously found all the Modern & Ancient Wonders, which unlocks the Natural and Solar Wonders.

If you find a cache with a Solar Wonder, before having collected all of the Natural Wonders, is the Solar find stored in some way?  So that when you have found all the Natural Wonders, your previous Solar find(s) is unlocked?

Reason I ask - I live on the Isle of Man and there are only a finite number of caches available, and as we are in a current 'Circuit Break' lockdown, limited travel only is permitted. The obvious answer I suppose is to wait until we are out of CBL, but would be interested if anyone knows.

Thanks

14 minutes ago, Glen Falcon Terrors said:

Apologies if this had already been asked (I've only scan read the previous 5 pages). I previously found all the Modern & Ancient Wonders, which unlocks the Natural and Solar Wonders.

If you find a cache with a Solar Wonder, before having collected all of the Natural Wonders, is the Solar find stored in some way?  So that when you have found all the Natural Wonders, your previous Solar find(s) is unlocked?

Reason I ask - I live on the Isle of Man and there are only a finite number of caches available, and as we are in a current 'Circuit Break' lockdown, limited travel only is permitted. The obvious answer I suppose is to wait until we are out of CBL, but would be interested if anyone knows.

Thanks

No, you can only collect Wonders at your current level. From the blog article announcing the promotion:

If I find geocaches that contain a Wonder before I unlock the level, do I still collect it?
You cannot collect Wonders that you do not qualify for. You must find the Modern Wonders before you can collect Ancient Wonders, then you must find the Natural Wonders before you can collect Solar System Wonders.

I'm surprised they don't include a link to the FAQ from the dashboard Wonders page, as with the open-ended duration of this promotion it's going to become increasingly difficult to find the original blog article.

• Helpful 1
12 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

No, you can only collect Wonders at your current level. From the blog article announcing the promotion:

I'm surprised they don't include a link to the FAQ from the dashboard Wonders page, as with the open-ended duration of this promotion it's going to become increasingly difficult to find the original blog article.

Grateful for the quick answer. Thanks.

5 hours ago, Glen Falcon Terrors said:

I discovered this problem in earlier souvenir challenges, so with the first set of wonders, after I had most of the ancient wonders, I intentionally targeted the last one I needed just so the modern wonders would be unlocked. This time, because of the gauntlet laid down here in the forums encouraging me to get all the wonders without trying, I'm resisting the temptation...and, sure enough, I've been stuck on the very last natural wonder for a couple weeks now. I did finally end up, by chance, looking for one cache with the right wonder last weekend...but it was the only cache I didn't find. :-( Still waiting to move on to the last set.

• Surprised 1
On 2/23/2021 at 2:43 PM, elrojo14 said:

I need one Solar Challenge.  Found seventeen caches yesterday.  A nice trail in a GeoArt series.  I still need that one Solar Wonder.

On 2/23/2021 at 11:43 AM, elrojo14 said:

For those of you who participated in our first Wonders of the World UnChallenge to see how long it took you to complete it without changing your caching habits one bit, the challenge continues! The Wonders of the World UnChallenge page has been updated along with the spreadsheet. Feel free to sign up if you want to. Will you stick to the UnChallenge or go ahead and try and knock them all out in a day? I have not decided which way I want to go just yet. 

A little late to the game; I was in upstate NY caring for my Dad when this souvenir promotion/unchallenge began and it was easy to "ignore" which wonders were attached to which cache, and just cache when I could (it was not a priority!).  I returned home to California at the end of March and have caught a few caches here and there, with 2 days where we went out walking/hiking with finding geocaches part of the agenda.  Again, I didn't even look at the wonders until I did my logging at home later in the day.

It turns out I was missing the Natural Wonder Victoria Falls for quite some time, and it finally showed up on the 4th or 5th cache we found yesterday, 63 days and 51 caches into the promotion (I just updated the Unchallenge spreadsheet with my numbers).  The other 7 or 8 caches we found on our outing yesterday produced 5 of the Solar Wonders.  Two more to go, but I'm not going to seek them out.  We'll just see if they show up.  We are headed to Tahoe area in early May, and plan to do some hiking and geocaching while there.  It's likely we'll grab the last 2 if we haven't already got them before we go.  With so much time to complete this it seems my usual caching habits will earn it whether I try or not.  The souvenirs just roll in on their own!

• Surprised 1
On 4/29/2021 at 9:19 AM, CAVinoGal said:

Two more to go, but I'm not going to seek them out.  We'll just see if they show up.  We are headed to Tahoe area in early May, and plan to do some hiking and geocaching while there.  It's likely we'll grab the last 2 if we haven't already got them before we go. 

It took us 12 more days and over 20 finds to finally nab the last two wonders, but it happened as we were caching in Carson City, Nevada yesterday.  So I've now completed the second round of this unchallenge, and hope to sign the log when we next make the drive from Northern to Southern California and pass through Kern County!

Final numbers: 89 finds needed for all 14 Wonders, over 75 days.  Without even considering the promo, and just caching as we would normally.  Off topic a little, but we also earned the Science of Discovery Souvenirs and Ultimate Explorer, just doing our normal caching.  

• Upvote 1
  • Surprised 1

After almost three months and 32 finds, I've finally gotten all seven of the Natural Wonders. Four were in Newcastle (about 100km north), two were in Sydney (about 50km south) and one was on a new cache in Terrigal (about 10km north-east). Now on to the Solar System, I'm guessing that'll take another three months or so.

Edited by barefootjeff

In my local area, eleven new caches were placed in the month of May.  Each of them has one Natural Wonder attached; none of them has a Solar System Wonder.  I can understand if they're not including the Ancient and Modern Wonders in new caches, but zero Solar System Wonders out of eleven straight caches??!!

20 minutes ago, NanCycle said:

In my local area, eleven new caches were placed in the month of May.  Each of them has one Natural Wonder attached; none of them has a Solar System Wonder.  I can understand if they're not including the Ancient and Modern Wonders in new caches, but zero Solar System Wonders out of eleven straight caches??!!

New caches published after the start of this phase of the promotion only get Natural Wonders:

Do geocaches published during Wonders of the World get Wonders?
New geocaches published during Wonders of the World will all receive one of the Natural Wonders.

On 5/12/2021 at 10:10 PM, barefootjeff said:

After almost three months and 32 finds, I've finally gotten all seven of the Natural Wonders. Four were in Newcastle (about 100km north), two were in Sydney (about 50km south) and one was on a new cache in Terrigal (about 10km north-east). Now on to the Solar System, I'm guessing that'll take another three months or so.

Well with the COVID lockdown and a succession of caches that had every solar system wonder except the final one I needed, I finally got there another six months on and completed the unchallenge today. Is this a record?

Edited by barefootjeff
32 minutes ago, Corp Of Discovery said:

Anyone else have an issue where you didn't get credit for a wonder despite having found many caches with it? Mine is The Great Red Spot...

But don't you have all six souvenirs from the promotion? Meaning you collected all the wonders?

Edited by Max and 99
16 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

But don't you have all six souvenirs from the promotion? Meaning you collected all the wonders?

I do have all the souvenirs. But on the WotW page it doesn't show I earned TGRS Wonder:

WotW.thumb.jpg.276aea2385f6b0828b76c3f8e8cae9e2.jpg

This is one of my recent finds that have TGRS attached: https://coord.info/GC6WQ9N

Being somewhat of a completist, and astronomy buff, this is very vexing...

Un-Challenge failed successfully? :o

I don't know why I was still thinking this promo was going until December. Managed to collect 27 of the 28 Souvenirs - missed out on Europa. Since they no longer show up on the caches I can't go look now to see which cache(s) I should have gone for to complete the series, but I know the last few that I'd found had mostly been repeats of ones I already had. I suspect that caches I'd previously found had Europa's? Oh well, I should have gone out caching more often!