Wonders of the World

43 minutes ago, jaysonC said:

The memory lane event is the only one I've ever done, so I'm no expert. If you have local caches that you've already found that have specific wonders in them, would you be able to log them? Do you need to delete your original find for that to work, or can you re-find them for the wonders?

With 23 finds under your belt, and living in a cache-rich area, you should have no problem finding new caches to visit in order to collect the Wonders you need.  That said, your ethics and statistical preferences are within your control to an extent.  For the past few years, it's been impossible to log two finds on the same cache.  So yes, you'd need to delete your original find and replace it with a new find - hopefully after a physical re-visit to the cache location.

• Upvote 1
46 minutes ago, jaysonC said:

The memory lane event is the only one I've ever done, so I'm no expert. If you have local caches that you've already found that have specific wonders in them, would you be able to log them? Do you need to delete your original find for that to work, or can you re-find them for the wonders?

A couple of years ago there was a change in the system which prevented one from logging multiple found its on the same cache.   I've never tried logging a find, deleting the found it log, then attempt to log the find again.  

• Upvote 1
51 minutes ago, jaysonC said:

Whhhyyyy?  Just go find new caches. ?

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1
38 minutes ago, Keystone said:

With 23 finds under your belt, and living in a cache-rich area, you should have no problem finding new caches to visit in order to collect the Wonders you need.  That said, your ethics and statistical preferences are within your control to an extent.  For the past few years, it's been impossible to log two finds on the same cache.  So yes, you'd need to delete your original find and replace it with a new find - hopefully after a physical re-visit to the cache location.

36 minutes ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

A couple of years ago there was a change in the system which prevented one from logging multiple found its on the same cache.   I've never tried logging a find, deleting the found it log, then attempt to log the find again.  

31 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

Whhhyyyy?  Just go find new caches. ?

Thank you all for the responses! My concern is more about heading further afield over time due to the virus, not about finding new caches - I'm not a great cyclist and I don't drive yet, so I'll be using public transport for further trips. 

• Upvote 3
16 minutes ago, jaysonC said:

Thank you all for the responses! My concern is more about heading further afield over time due to the virus, not about finding new caches - I'm not a great cyclist and I don't drive yet, so I'll be using public transport for further trips. 

Thank for. I hope you have a great selection of caches with the stamps you need for this promotion! Giver an update later, if you want. 

2 hours ago, jaysonC said:

My concern is more about heading further afield over time due to the virus, not about finding new caches ...

This is why the "Wonders of the World" and "Memory Lane" promotions have extended timeframes through the end of the year.  Normally, souvenir promotions last for a month or so.

• Helpful 3
6 hours ago, MartyBartfast said:

If it goes like the Mystery at the Museum "challenge" then you have to find the wonders in order, e.g. A which then unlocks  B which unlocks C ... etc.

As I read it, all the Modern Wonders will be initially visible, then once you've found all seven of those, all the Ancient Wonders become visible. I guess we'll find out if that's the case soon enough.

Edited by barefootjeff
Spelling
  • Upvote 1

o

On 7/30/2020 at 8:26 AM, NYPaddleCacher said:

Just noticed this.  So they're going to modify the search engine by adding filters to find caches with a specific wonder?   Since this is so easy, how about adding filters so the we can search for caches with a specific attribute.  Yes,  I know that the Pocket Query search page has that capability, but the fact that there there are two search forms (not including the map page) doesn't make any sense either.  

Two hands up for this suggestion. I have not figured at any other usage of PQs for my needs other than this request.

I'd also like to be able to turn on and off the ignore list.

• Love 1
On 7/30/2020 at 3:45 PM, barefootjeff said:

As I read it, all the Modern Wonders will be initially visible, then once you've found all seven of those, all the Ancient Wonders become visible. I guess we'll find out if that's the case soon enough.

I just saw the answer to this question!

You can search for Modern and Ancient wonders at the same time to plan your outings! 

21 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

I just saw the answer to this question!

You can search for Modern and Ancient wonders at the same time to plan your outings! 

Thanks. I wonder if we'll be able to search for them prior to the official start time. That's 10pm on Wednesday here so if they don't appear until then that rules out doing any caching for it on the first day. Just as well there's plenty of time for this one.

Although this has been mentioned for the mystery promotion I don't think it's been mentioned yet for the wonders promotion. Will they presumably be assigning wonders to pm caches that non pm members can see (T and MC under a specific D/T). I know not everyone agrees with caches being pm but it is our choice as a premium member. But I could be wrong and we will find out very soon. It may not be an issue at all. 

Edited by Max and 99
55 minutes ago, Former Hawkeye said:

I want this to be a surprise when I find a cache, so I will just wait to see what happens or doesn't happens.

Join the unofficial challenge put forth by ElRojo14 - "New challenge. How much time and how many finds will it take you if you do absolutely no planning at all for this promotion? Keep track and we will see. Honor system you will not do any planning for it at all and will just cache like you normally do."

Several of us are going to "just wait to see what happens".  As with the Memory Lane promo, I did nothing specifically different and earned the souvenirs with my usual geocaching; I happened to be on the East Coast at the time and was gathering a few new states, and it just happened.  (Got all 5 souvenirs between 6/5 and 6/27) It took hubby a bit longer (6/5 to 7/19) but he eventually earned all 5 souvenirs as well, with another month to go before the new promo begins.  So, yeah, doing our normal geocaching, without actually seeking out those caches with "Wonders" hidden in them, should be doable.  Odds are very good we'll look for and find more than 14 caches before the end of the year, and depending on how the wonders are distributed, it probably won't take long to gather enough of the wonders to earn the souvenirs.

Edited by CAVinoGal
Typo corrections
  • Surprised 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, CAVinoGal said:

Several of us are going to "just wait to see what happens".

I'll add my name to that bandwagon :) 

My current style of play is "targets of opportunity" as I don't plan out when and where to go caching or look for specific caches or types of caches. It'll be interesting to see how many wonders (if any) I turn up. So far my Memory Lane score is 95, from a total of 14 finds - though ML started just before I started playing so all my finds have counted towards it.

And here you go! An official way to participate and track your progress without doing anything differently. 

https://coord.info/GC8Y0CX

There is a spreadsheet link. Fill out whatever data you want on it, just please do not mess with other people's data. This is not a competition. In fact, if you change nothing and do it all in the first day, I call BS unless you already had a cache outing planned for next Wednesday. Either way, I don't care. I just want to see how long it takes me to finish it and if I can honestly say to myself I did nothing differently in that time. Then see when I finish it. 

• Funny 1
  • Love 1

Does "doing nothing different" include refraining from finding any caches between July 28 and August 12?  Instead of the cache hunting outing that I might have done on Aug 5, I did a maintenance run on a series of my own caches--a few of them did actually need maintenance.

10 minutes ago, NanCycle said:

Does "doing nothing different" include refraining from finding any caches between July 28 and August 12?  Instead of the cache hunting outing that I might have done on Aug 5, I did a maintenance run on a series of my own caches--a few of them did actually need maintenance.

I would say if you already altered some plans to cache after August 12 with the purpose of doing Wonders of the World, you have changed your caching already. However, this is not a competition and you get to be the ultimate decider on what you think is "doing nothing different". So really, that is up to you. Feel free to participate if you want. There are no prizes and it is simply for your own amusement. 

1 minute ago, Max and 99 said:

This thread direction reminds me of the song...

Every party needs a pooper. That's why we invited you. Party pooper. 

I'm looking forward to the Wonders promotion. 

I know you are not talking about me. For those that were not excited about the promotion, now they have something they might enjoy. 

For those that want to go out and seek them, you are still able. That is the nice thing about Geocaching. It is what you make it. 

• Surprised 1
29 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

This thread direction reminds me of the song...

Every party needs a pooper. That's why we invited you. Party pooper. 

I'm looking forward to the Wonders 

I already finished Memory Lane 12 times over with almost 150 more days to go so I welcome with open hands those unchallenge until Groundspeak consider to put harder one for us.

20 hours ago, elrojo14 said:

And here you go! An official way to participate and track your progress without doing anything differently. 

There is a spreadsheet link. Fill out whatever data you want on it, just please do not mess with other people's data. This is not a competition. In fact, if you change nothing and do it all in the first day, I call BS unless you already had a cache outing planned for next Wednesday. Either way, I don't care. I just want to see how long it takes me to finish it and if I can honestly say to myself I did nothing differently in that time. Then see when I finish it. 

That's funny. I just might. I have a couple of cache trips planned, including the caches I'd like to do. They include longer cycle or train rides to get more counties, EarthCaches, generally bigger containers, popular ones, and if it fits with the route the occasional letterbox and Wherigo. Plus my summer vacation falls into this, maybe, depending on Covid.

1 minute ago, terratin said:

That's funny. I just might. I have a couple of cache trips planned, including the caches I'd like to do. They include longer cycle or train rides to get more counties, EarthCaches, generally bigger containers, popular ones, and if it fits with the route the occasional letterbox and Wherigo. Plus my summer vacation falls into this, maybe, depending on Covid.

And let's say December rolls around and you still haven't finished it, then you can always go out and actively finish it. 

1 minute ago, elrojo14 said:

And let's say December rolls around and you still haven't finished it, then you can always go out and actively finish it. 

To be honest: I would not know why. Look at my profile at the souvenirs tab. This is how much I care about most souvenirs. :antenna:

Just now, terratin said:

To be honest: I would not know why. Look at my profile at the souvenirs tab. This is how much I care about most souvenirs. :antenna:

What I find odd about souvenirs is I like to try to do whatever it takes to get them, even though I really don't care about them! LOL. I never go back and look at them again and I do not brag to my friends the ones I have. They are just another number in my stats somewhere. But I have to earn them all! 

• Upvote 2
49 minutes ago, elrojo14 said:

What I find odd about souvenirs is I like to try to do whatever it takes to get them, even though I really don't care about them! LOL. I never go back and look at them again and I do not brag to my friends the ones I have. They are just another number in my stats somewhere. But I have to earn them all! 

Ha! I sometimes try not to get any. and if I do I hide the right away. I only collect country souvenirs, though I'd not travel to a country because it has a souvenir. It just happens. Or not.

The UnChallenge is a great idea. Thinking about it, I tried to define some other "enhancements" of the Wonders of the World promo.

Starting postulate: don't cheat (don't alter the logs order, for instance)...

1. ("The UnChallenge" - See above).
  2. "The frugal one" - Force yourself to find ONLY different wonders (i.e. the next 14 found caches each contain a different wonder).
  3. "The hurried one" - Like "the frugal one" but in a single day.
  4. "Always more" - Like "the hurried one" but on the 15th or 16th of August. Indeed, on that weekend a 4th souvenir will be offered (International Geocaching Day 2020)!
  5. "The excessive" - Like "always more" but finding each cache in countries or states where you never geocached before (which will add to the souvenirs those of those places). (Warning: some parts of the world don't have any souvenirs yet).
  6. "The splitting" - Forcing yourself to get only one souvenir a day. Warning: this challenge is probably the hardest because souvenirs #2 and #3 are awarded at the same time. You will therefore have to validate the log at the right time so that the 2nd is dated one day and the 3rd is dated the next day. Be careful also with the other souvenirs you might get (International Geocaching Day 2020 and Memory Lane, if you haven't finished it yet)!
  7. "The Cleaner" - Choose a central point and a distance (radius). First find all the geocaches with the same first wonder in this area. Do not allow yourself to search for a second wonder until all geocaches matching the first have been found. (Warning: you will probably have to define a second zone for the second round of wonders [#8 to #14]).

:mmraspberry:

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 3

Today I headed up north for a day of caching, making nine finds, and now I'm just waiting for the clock to tick over past 10pm so I can log them. I'll be logging in the order in which I found them so it'll be something of a Russian roulette as to which Wonders I'll end up with for the first day's play. Knowing my luck, I probably picked nine caches all with the same Wonder.

• Love 1

I can't imagine I'm going to change my habits to collect these,  but I was looking at the search option and it's possible to search for caches that contain a Wonder, but I don't think you can search for specific Wonders (unless I've missed a trick) so if I got to 6 and wanted to find the 7th there would be no way to search for it - or does the search only show the caches containing Wonders that you haven't already collected?

On 8/8/2020 at 10:18 AM, elrojo14 said:

OK, it's August 12, and so far we have not altered our caching habits one bit.  We haven't "not" cached to save nearby for this - we aren't planning any specific outings and we likely won't need to.  I did peek at a couple of unfound ones near me; one contains a Modern Wonder only; one contains both a Modern and an Ancient, and the Ancient is greyed out, with red LOCKED on it.

I will add my name to the spreadsheet, with my find count as of today, and see how long it takes to do this.  I have a goal of getting my find count to 2020 by the end of 2020, and I'm at 1945 right now, I've finished the Memory Lane promo, we will likely try to find a cache on August 15 for the Nat'l Geocaching Day souvenir because we've done that before.  There are no events scheduled nearby for us, so we will need to find at least one cache that day, but that's doable, and will not be chosen for the Wonder within.  We'll likely find a local trail (we've had some new hiders busily hiding along neighborhood trails this summer!) and find 5 or so on that day.  And since I need 75 more finds to hit 2020 by the end of the year, odds are likely that 14 of them will fall within the parameters of this promo, whether we plan it or not.  Time will tell!

• Surprised 1

I am happy to see some of you are participating in the Wonders of the World UnChallenge. Here is that link again just in case anyone else wants to join. All you have to do is be honest with yourself and do not change your caching habits at all and see how long it takes you to finish the promo. That is it. You can find the spreadsheet link on the cache page. 

I had a look last night at a cache that's on the way to work and it had a Wonder, had a look at it again a few minutes ago and it had a different Wonder. I'm guessing which Wonder is there is randomly (or semi-randomly) generated - though I'm curious if it is generated each time you load the cache page (in which case you could just keep refreshing until the Wonder you are after pops up) or if they change every X hours (on the hour, once a day...).

Edit: I had a quick scan of the map, looks like every cache has a Wonder or two (or at least all the ones I sampled did). That'll make it easier  to get the first few, possibly a little harder to get the last one in the set when you're looking for a specific one. 

Edited by Unit473L
9 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

Today I headed up north for a day of caching, making nine finds, and now I'm just waiting for the clock to tick over past 10pm so I can log them. I'll be logging in the order in which I found them so it'll be something of a Russian roulette as to which Wonders I'll end up with for the first day's play. Knowing my luck, I probably picked nine caches all with the same Wonder.

Did you manage any wonders Jeff? I did wonder yesterday why you were waiting until 10pm? :)

2 hours ago, ecanderson said:

Since we're going with the 'If it happens, fine, but we've got business to attend to' approach to caching, how will we even know that 'it' has happened?  Does something show up in statistics or souvenirs, or ???

As you log your finds, you will need to pay a little bit of attention. That is what I plan to do. Probably just open up the WotW screen and refresh it after every find I log.

• Funny 1
3 hours ago, ecanderson said:

Since we're going with the 'If it happens, fine, but we've got business to attend to' approach to caching, how will we even know that 'it' has happened?  Does something show up in statistics or souvenirs, or ???

Yep, a souvenir when you get all 7 modern wonders, then, starting after that, 2 more souvenirs after you've stumbled on the 7 ancient wonders.

I'll make sure to get the 2 modern wonders I'm missing next time I go out, but I'm not worried about it. Pretty sure it would happen without trying just by finding caches, although I have to admit that I don't know how long the challenge lasts and I'm not sure if the ancient wonders are as common as the modern wonders are.

By the way, one thing I'm fascinated by is the distinction between ancient wonders and modern wonders. I've always thought of the 7 wonders they call "modern" as being ancient, but now that they've brought it up, it's a really interesting distinction I hadn't considered before. I'm still having trouble with the term "modern", but I can't think of a better word, either.

One other thing: because I've shut off so much GS mail and because the actual wonders flags on the cache page look exactly like ads, I doubt I would have figured out what was going on if there hadn't be a little "what about wonders?" chatter in the forums.

I did a cache of opportunity this morning, and there is no user action required to "catch" a Wonder.

When I was looking at the cache page prior to logging, it showed that there was a Wonder there with "Collected: 0 / 1" beneath it. While doing the logging, there was nothing different. After logging, the cache page showed the same Wonder but it had changed to "Collected: 1 / 1". This was on the website, not the app.

On 8/13/2020 at 1:53 AM, ecanderson said:

If you're like me, you're still wondering what 'ancient' means in this context.

"Ancient" history and what it created is generally relegated to the time prior to ~450 to ~550AD.  Much of the 'Modern' list seems to qualify.

It's based on this 2007...contest, I guess it was? I recall when it happened, but I don't recall the parameters offhand, had to look them up. A panel started out with 77 different modern wonders, then whittled it down to 21, then folks voted. The only really "modern" wonder that made the final vote was Christ the Redeemer, which is less than 100 years old, but some of the other semifinalists were also of more recent vintage, like Schloss Neuschwanstein, the Eiffel Tower in Paris, the Sydney Opera House, or the Statue of Liberty. Here's a good summary on Wikipedia.

Edited by hzoi
7 hours ago, dprovan said:

Pretty sure it would happen without trying just by finding caches, although I have to admit that I don't know how long the challenge lasts and I'm not sure if the ancient wonders are as common as the modern wonders are.

The reason some of us are like "meh" is because you have until "at least December 31, 2020". And that is why we are seeing how long it takes us from not changing how we cache at all. 

11 hours ago, ecanderson said:

If you're like me, you're still wondering what 'ancient' means in this context.

"Ancient" history and what it created is generally relegated to the time prior to ~450 to ~550AD.  Much of the 'Modern' list seems to qualify.

The "ancient" wonders don't exist today (except the Great Pyramid) and the "modern" wonders do exist.

5 hours ago, ecanderson said:

Yes, and the logic of that escapes me. 

Some structure razed in war would then qualify as 'ancient', while an older structure still standing would not?

Ancient and Modern more aptly describes the lists themselves, rather than the structures on them.

- The 'Ancient Wonders' are the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World.  The list dates back to a couple of centuries BC.

- The 'Modern Wonders' are the New7Wonders of the World.  This list is a very modern invention that came along in 2007.  Petra and the Great Wall of China actually date back to earlier than a couple of the entries on the 'ancient' list.

• Upvote 2