Wonders of the World

7 hours ago, Unit473L said:

Is that seven different trackables with seven unique codes for $25? That's a pretty decent price, about $3.50 per trackable.

Cries in AUD :) 

It is indeed. $2.50 is the lowest cost I have ever seen on the site. 

Edited by Max and 99

It appears that gc.com's Wayback Machine has some issues with Modern vs. Ancient.

"Roman Colosseum" fits in the time frame of the Ancient set.  What's unclear to me is what this means:

"These fun and creative tags are each trackable at geocaching.com with a unique icon." (emphasis mine)

They don't have regular trackable codes?

15 minutes ago, ecanderson said:

It appears that gc.com's Wayback Machine has some issues with Modern vs. Ancient.

"Roman Colosseum" fits in the time frame of the Ancient set.  What's unclear to me is what this means:

"These fun and creative tags are each trackable at geocaching.com with a unique icon." (emphasis mine)

If you click on trackable in your public dashboard you will see plenty of TB icons. They also have regular tracking code.

8 minutes ago, GeoElmo6000 said:

Find 100 caches in a month.  Be awarded with up to seven souvenirs related to some set of wonders of the world.

Just a guess.

Unlikely considering the current promotion is only to find up to 40 caches in 7 months.

Would be nice if you need to find 7 differents type of caches but I don't have high hopes for those promotions.

18 minutes ago, ecanderson said:

It sounds (to me) that they're simply trackables with a unique icon, like a geocoin or tag.  :)

If they're "trackable at Geocaching.com", they have a code...

36 minutes ago, GeoElmo6000 said:

Find 100 caches in a month.  Be awarded with up to seven souvenirs related to some set of wonders of the world.

Just a guess.

Visit the actual ancient and new wonders and log a special Adventure Lab at those locations. You have one month to get them all. :tongue:

Edited by terratin
  • Upvote 2
  • Funny 5

Wonders of the World

What are Wonders?
Wonders are digital stamps hidden in geocaches. Wonders help you fill your Wonders of the World passport. Collect them when you find and log geocaches. Search for geocaches that contain the Wonders you are looking for and collect them when you log the cache beginning August 12 at noon UTC.

How do I find and collect Wonders?
Plan your outings by searching for Wonders. Note: you have to collect all of the Modern Wonders before you can start collecting Ancient Wonders.
1. Use filters to see geocaches that contain Wonders.Find and log geocaches 2. to collect the Wonders.
3. Collect all the Modern Wonders to unlock the Ancient Wonders.
4. Collect all of the Ancient Wonders to fill your passport and become the World Explorer.
5. Keep track of your progress on the Wonders of the World page.

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

Wonders of the World

What are Wonders?
Wonders are digital stamps hidden in geocaches. Wonders help you fill your Wonders of the World passport. Collect them when you find and log geocaches. Search for geocaches that contain the Wonders you are looking for and collect them when you log the cache beginning August 12 at noon UTC.

Plan your outings by searching for Wonders. Note: you have to collect all of the Modern Wonders before you can start collecting Ancient Wonders.
1. Use filters to see geocaches that contain Wonders.Find and log geocaches 2. to collect the Wonders.
4. Collect all of the Ancient Wonders to fill your passport and become the World Explorer.

Until when? When will this end?

And how many specific geocaches needed to be found within his timeframe?

Full of wonders, for sure...

• Funny 1
1 minute ago, Dr.MORO said:

At least until December 30th

It's not clear for the number of caches because there can be multiple wonders in the same cache. 

They decided to repeat Mystery at the museum that was nice but I wasn't a fan of the fact that you needed to find specific cache before others or cheat in your logging order. I see they repeated that same mistake this time...

Also how you get the second souvenir without automatically getting the third?

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, Dr.MORO said:
10 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

Wonders of the World

What are Wonders?

14 caches, and you have till December 31, 2020 to do it.  Much like the Hidden treasures gem hunt last spring (2019) - but fewer finds needed. 

4 minutes ago, Lynx Humble said:

At least until December 30th

It's not clear for the number of caches because there can be multiple wonders in the same cache. 

They decided to repeat Mystery at the museum that was nice but I wasn't a fan of the fact that you needed to find specific cache before others or cheat in your logging order. I see they repeated that same mistake this time...

Also how you get the second souvenir without automatically getting the third?

Yep, obviously based on Mystery at the Museum -- no problem with that.  But the process becomes do what you need to get souvenir 1, and we'll give that to you, then do what you need to get souvenir 2, and we'll give that one and another one just for kicks to you.

28 minutes ago, Dr.MORO said:

At least until December 31, 2020. I just posted the most relevant text but included the link. Sorry. I was in a hurry.

Event caches and Labs will not have clues!:)

Since they are giving us so long to do this, I vow not to actively seek any of the caches and just see how long it takes me to get it without any effort. Come on Groundspeak. We enjoy working for things that require effort. This requires no effort from anyone who finds a few caches a month. Weak. 

Edited by elrojo14
  • Upvote 4
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, elrojo14 said:

..... Come on Groundspeak. We enjoy working for things that require effort. This requires no effort from anyone who finds a few caches a month......

Yep.... I think we'd just passively absorb these also - Memory Lane was like that.....

2 minutes ago, elrojo14 said:

New challenge. How much time and how many finds will it take you if you do absolutely no planning at all for this promotion? Keep track and we will see. Honor system you will not do any planning for it at all and will just cache like you normally do. 

:laughing:Awesome! I'm in!

29 minutes ago, elrojo14 said:

New challenge. How much time and how many finds will it take you if you do absolutely no planning at all for this promotion? Keep track and we will see. Honor system you will not do any planning for it at all and will just cache like you normally do. 

I am in too

7 hours ago, elrojo14 said:

I’m in. I didn’t manage with the library but that doesn’t matter.

I think its wonderful that you're all being so positive about this promotion, and you're going to take on the promotion "challenge" exactly how you want so you can have the most fun with it! Maybe all the promotions should be super relaxed like this one - no angst, no negativity, complaints or sarcasm, just fun! :)

• Upvote 2
31 minutes ago, funkymunkyzone said:

Did you mean the museum? If so then I can see where you went wrong with that case... looking for clues at the wrong crime scene!

Exactly. I just didn't bother. Had a look, found the clue caches were parking place micros and others I wasn't interested in. Ignored it. I mean, I'm sure lots of people enjoy these kind of games. For me, it's equally easy to ignore and it has no influence on my caching experience.

Hmm.. we might need a thread when this starts: the accidental wonders of the world participants - chatting and monthly check-in or something like that :P

17 hours ago, elrojo14 said:

OK, sounds like an interesting side challenge, as I expect to earn all three souvenirs without a lot of "extra" effort as well.  The Hidden Gems (Mystery at the Museum) last summer was a challenge, and we happened to be traveling, visiting family in the southern part of the state, so we had a lot of unfound caches to choose from; we did choose specific ones because of the digital "gems" they contained, but we likely would have completed all the souvenirs and solved the mystery regardless.  It did make us a little more selective in caches we tried to find.

With the long time frame for this promo, and the recent slew of new caches hidden around our home area during this pandemic (always 1 or 2 a day, some days as many as 10 or more, we've got hundreds o f new hides close by to find!), we typically grab 5-10 caches a week on our trips out to get groceries or other project supplies; we'll just keep doing that and see how close we get.  We (meaning my caching partner/husband and I) both finished the Memory Lane without doing anything different...I'm in to see how this plays out without making any effort!!

Just now, G0ldNugget said:

How are these 'Wonders' assigned to caches? I live in a rural area. Are there likely to be any eligible caches near me? Sorry, I didn't participate in the 'Mysteries at the Museum" challenge so I'm not familiar with how it works. Thanks!

I would guess it's likely. 

20 hours ago, elrojo14 said:

Since they are giving us so long to do this, I vow not to actively seek any of the caches and just see how long it takes me to get it without any effort. Come on Groundspeak. We enjoy working for things that require effort. This requires no effort from anyone who finds a few caches a month. Weak. 

That's the way I have treated all of the recent promotions; there just doesn't seem to be any point to them, and anyway there aren't many local caches that I haven't found and this is not the time to be planning major road trips.  The last promotion that I actively participated in was Mary Hyde

22 minutes ago, G0ldNugget said:

How are these 'Wonders' assigned to caches? I live in a rural area. Are there likely to be any eligible caches near me? Sorry, I didn't participate in the 'Mysteries at the Museum" challenge so I'm not familiar with how it works. Thanks!

The Wonders are assigned digitally.  I'm guessing that HQ will use an algorithm similar to the one employed to distribute "gems" in last summer's Mystery at the Museum promotion.  The algorithm ensured that all the items could be found in geocaches in a given area.  How difficult this will be for you is dependent on two things:  the total number of geocaches in your area (cache density) and how many of them you've already found.

• Helpful 2
1 minute ago, Keystone said:

The Wonders are assigned digitally.  I'm guessing that HQ will use an algorithm similar to the one employed to distribute "gems" in last summer's Mystery at the Museum promotion.  The algorithm ensured that all the items could be found in geocaches in a given area.  How difficult this will be for you is dependent on two things:  the total number of geocaches in your area (cache density) and how many of them you've already found.

And how much traveling you're willing to do.

On 7/28/2020 at 1:01 PM, GeoElmo6000 said:

Just a guess.

I got an idea.  Find a cache near one of the wonders of the world and get a souvenir.    I suspect, however, that there will be souvenirs available without a requirement of going anywhere near any of the wonders.  

The most I've ever found in a single month was 59 and that was 12 years ago.  

17 minutes ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

I got an idea.  Find a cache near one of the wonders of the world and get a souvenir.    I suspect, however, that there will be souvenirs available without a requirement of going anywhere near any of the wonders.  

But I've already been to Petra (oldest cache in Jordan) - so would old finds count?  I'm so glad travel isn't required with Covid-19, otherwise Yeah! Road Trip!

1 hour ago, The Jester said:

But I've already been to Petra (oldest cache in Jordan) - so would old finds count?  I'm so glad travel isn't required with Covid-19, otherwise Yeah! Road Trip!

I've been to Halicarnassus, can't remember if there was a cache. I do remember an old guy selling real old coins. Maybe. Plus Rhodes (cache)

Plus Colosseum, Petra, Christ the Redeemer (all with caches), the Great Wall (no cache)... I think that's all.

Do I like old stuff? Nah.. just looks like it :tongue:

5 hours ago, G0ldNugget said:

It's going to be similar to Mystery at the Museum, but much easier! You'll have to find the 7 Modern Wonders digital stamps in caches first, then find the 7 Ancient Wonders digital stamps in caches, then after completing that you'll earn a 3rd souvenir: World Explorer. So it's really only 14 geocaches, and you can search for which ones have the digital stamps you need.

All this means is: you can search for caches that have each of the digital stamps you need, then go find them. That's all you do. The GC website will keep track of the stamps you've collected. Different than Mystery at the museum, there's a lot less of "you have to find these things in a certain order".

It was somewhat of a struggle for me,  as I was also trying to help a friend in a wheelchair figure out which caches he can access, that I haven't found, that have the digital souvenir we both need. That was the pre-Covid plan. It's a little different now, though.

Thank goodness for search filters!

2 hours ago, terratin said:

I've been to Halicarnassus, can't remember if there was a cache. I do remember an old guy selling real old coins. Maybe. Plus Rhodes (cache)

Plus Colosseum, Petra, Christ the Redeemer (all with caches), the Great Wall (no cache)... I think that's all.

Do I like old stuff? Nah.. just looks like it :tongue:

Only the Colosseum, Chichen Itza (before I started geocaching), and the Great Wall for me.  I've been to two sections of the wall.   Badaling is, by far, the most frequently visited.  There's a train station there, a parking lot full of tour buses, and a gondola that will whisk tourist up on to the wall.  There was a virtual cache there , though, when I visited.  The other section I visited is accessible through private property (with a small fee).  The parking lot could hold 4 vehicles.  The person I was working with knew the people that owned the property, which has several rooms one can stay in for hikers on the wall.  She "rented" one of them for the day while I and a student spent about 3 hours hiking the wall.  We saw 4 other people.  After we had lunch with the family that owned the property. Easily the best Chinese food I've ever had.  There was also a traditional cache there but I didn't find it.  Others have found it since though.

45 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

It's going to be similar to Mystery at the Museum, but much easier! You'll have to find the 7 Modern Wonders digital stamps in caches first, then find the 7 Ancient Wonders digital stamps in caches, then after completing that you'll earn a 3rd souvenir: World Explorer. So it's really only 14 geocaches, and you can search for which ones have the digital stamps you need.

All this means is: you can search for caches that have each of the digital stamps you need, then go find them. That's all you do. The GC website will keep track of the stamps you've collected. Different than Mystery at the museum, there's a lot less of "you have to find these things in a certain order".

It's not entirely clear but from my reading of it, the Ancient Wonders will only become visible on cache pages and in searches once you've found all the Modern Wonders, so if that's the case it'll be a bit more than going out and finding 14 caches. Also from what I can see, all caches will have one of the Modern Wonders in them but only a select few will have an Ancient Wonder as well, so it'll depend on what percentage have that Ancient Wonder as to how difficult it'll become at that point.

A geocache can contain up to two Wonder types, but an unlimited number of each Wonder. A geocache may have either a Modern Wonder or both a Modern and Ancient Wonder.

I'm also curious about the introduction where it says "Spanning across all seven continents, the Wonders of the World include some of humankind’s most awe-inspiring architectural feats and mother nature’s greatest marvels." Looking at the images on the travelbug tags, I don't see anything in either the Ancient or Modern set that looks like it's in Antarctica or even Australia. Not much of "mother nature's greatest marvels" either as all but one (a mountain in the Modern set?) look man-made.

• Upvote 1
18 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

It's not entirely clear but from my reading of it, the Ancient Wonders will only become visible on cache pages and in searches once you've found all the Modern Wonders, so if that's the case it'll be a bit more than going out and finding 14 caches. Also from what I can see, all caches will have one of the Modern Wonders in them but only a select few will have an Ancient Wonder as well, so it'll depend on what percentage have that Ancient Wonder as to how difficult it'll become at that point.

Good point. We'll find out soon!

On 7/28/2020 at 2:48 PM, elrojo14 said:

So I just had dreams about this and this might be hard to do. Truly not trying to do any different caching for this will be a challenge. In what ways would you be doing something differently because of this? I mean I have been trying to keep my lead in having the highest percentage found in my county, so if I do numbers runs still, that isn't anything different for me as long as I do not check which Ancient Wonder I am getting to do it and just find them all like I normally do. 

I am getting my 50th state this weekend. After that I will see if I can make a more structured way to play the game that you can share with your friends.

• Surprised 1
42 minutes ago, elrojo14 said:

In what ways would you be doing something differently because of this?

If it goes like the Mystery at the Museum "challenge" then you have to find the wonders in order, e.g. A which then unlocks  B which unlocks C ... etc.

Say you're going to a series and  Cache1 has C, Cache2 has B and Cache3 has A.

If you do that series as you would naturally (1 -> 2 -> 3) , you would have only 1 of the wonders achieved.

However if (because of this challenge) you do the series in reverse you would have 3 wonders achieved.

Some people did that sort of thing for the Mystery at the Museum, but I suspect with this if you're a reasonably active cacher then you'll get them all eventually without the need to go out of your way for them.

The memory lane event is the only one I've ever done, so I'm no expert. If you have local caches that you've already found that have specific wonders in them, would you be able to log them? Do you need to delete your original find for that to work, or can you re-find them for the wonders?

On 7/28/2020 at 4:00 PM, Max and 99 said:

Wonders of the World

What are Wonders?

Just noticed this.  So they're going to modify the search engine by adding filters to find caches with a specific wonder?   Since this is so easy, how about adding filters so the we can search for caches with a specific attribute.  Yes,  I know that the Pocket Query search page has that capability, but the fact that there there are two search forms (not including the map page) doesn't make any sense either.  

• Upvote 4
  • Helpful 3