How do I view HTML to see co-ords?

bikermaddie

Are you talking about the phone app?  If so, I don't know of a way to get any common phone browser to show the raw html content of a page.

On a PC, it's easy - how - depends upon your browser.  For example, in Firefox, you just right click out on the page somewhere and "View Page Source".

I'm sorry, folks, but this advice is not going to be helpful to the CO, who is probably not an HTML expert.  The pages from here contain a TON of extraneous information.

The best way to see the source entered by the cache owner is to download the gpx file and look at it with a text editor like notepad++.  An app like Cachly will do it pretty well, also.  But please don't have people look at the source code from the site!

2 minutes ago, fizzymagic said:

I'm sorry, folks, but this advice is not going to be helpful to the CO, who is probably not an HTML expert.  The pages from here contain a TON of extraneous information.

The best way to see the source entered by the cache owner is to download the gpx file and look at it with a text editor like notepad++.  An app like Cachly will do it pretty well, also.  But please don't have people look at the source code from the site!

In Firefox (and likely other browsers), if you highlight just the description on the cache page then right-click and choose View Selection Source, it'll show the html source for just the description.

• Helpful 1
9 hours ago, fizzymagic said:

Meh. It might be a hassle to look at page source on a smart phone. I wouldn't know. But I'm also not sure your suggestion of looking at a raw GPX file is any easier on a smart phone, and it's certainly no easier on a PC. In fact, I find it kind of amusing you're suggesting that looking at XML data is easier than looking at HTML. I admit that I'm fluent in both, but, still, I'd think XML would be more confusing and daunting to a non-techie.

The only trick to the "view page source" approach is that you have to know to search for "UserSuppliedContent" to skip all the drek in order to get to the parts the CO wrote.

On 7/28/2020 at 11:55 AM, dprovan said:

Meh. It might be a hassle to look at page source on a smart phone. I wouldn't know. But I'm also not sure your suggestion of looking at a raw GPX file is any easier on a smart phone, and it's certainly no easier on a PC. In fact, I find it kind of amusing you're suggesting that looking at XML data is easier than looking at HTML. I admit that I'm fluent in both, but, still, I'd think XML would be more confusing and daunting to a non-techie. 

I don't think I'd agree with that.  Perhaps if the code was only basic HTML and didn't include a ton of javascript.  I find XML easier to read because it doesn't contain any markup for formatting.  It's all just data.  I wonder if GS has considered adding content negotiation to their site so that one could just add ".xml" to the url for a cache listing and it would return the cache data encapsulated as GPX.   

3 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

I don't think I'd agree with that.  Perhaps if the code was only basic HTML and didn't include a ton of javascript.  I find XML easier to read because it doesn't contain any markup for formatting.  It's all just data.  I wonder if GS has considered adding content negotiation to their site so that one could just add ".xml" to the url for a cache listing and it would return the cache data encapsulated as GPX.   

As I said, the first step is to search for "UserSuppliedContent" so you skip all the junk geocaching.com puts into it, including all the javascript. Or select the description text so the browser starts you there.

I'm looking at pocket queries, so I'm not sure I'm seeing the same .gpx data that you and fizzymagic are talking about, but in pocket queries, all the HTML formatting is still there in the cache description. The only difference is that it's gone from hard to read to impossible to read because "<" is converted to "&lt;", etc.

I'm also wondering if HTML comments will be stripped out. That's one of the most common places for a puzzle cache to hide text in HTML source. I don't have an example handy to check whether they show up in .gpx files or not.

But, anyway, to each his own. I always thought it was trivial to look at the HTML source, so I've never considered another approach.