Go to old style user dashboard

Merino

This is not about the new cache owner dashboard, but about the general user dashboard.

I started out some years ago with the old user dashboard. At some point a new version of it was proposed, so I switched to have a look, decided I missed the compact single page overview and went back to the old version. I haven't considered the new version since.

Now a friend came along on one of my caching trips, liked it and created himself a profile. That profile however has as a standard the new version dashboard. He has seen my old version and would like to switch to it, only: there seems to be no such feature available.

Is there anyone who can say if and how it can be switched ? Maybe an undocumented cookie ?

I am not interested in your opinion as to why he should work with the new version, please react only if you know how to execute the switch.

• Upvote 1
25 minutes ago, Merino said:

Is there anyone who can say if and how it can be switched ? Maybe an undocumented cookie ?

I am not interested in your opinion as to why he should work with the new version, please react only if you know how to execute the switch.

Wow...

There's a link, "This is a new public profile experience. If you prefer, you can go back to the old page." at the top for me...

Are you saying that this may no  longer be available if a new cacher ?

35 minutes ago, Frau Potter said:

Beginning in September 2019, new accounts have been provided access only to the new profile and dashboard pages. They do not have the banner that allows them to toggle to the old dashboard and profile.

:sad:

36 minutes ago, Frau Potter said:

We have received no complaints.

Well, here's the second one.

I'm a bit afraid to ask but what is the statistic of profiles able to choose tell about the preference?

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Frau Potter said:

Beginning in September 2019, new accounts have been provided access only to the new profile and dashboard pages. They do not have the banner that allows them to toggle to the old dashboard and profile. We have received no complaints from any of these new users. 

It might be of course, that the reason new users don't complain is bcs they never got the choice, even have no idea that an alternative exist(s/ed). To build on what Hynz said, I wonder what the percentages would be if both old and new customers (that is basically what we geocachers are) were allowed to choose.

That being said, I have worked in the IT industry for longer than I care to remember and I know from experience, that service providers often modify things for their own benefits - be it less cumbersome for maintenance or taking up less processor time or disk space or ... - and "sell" that to their customers as "improved". Been there, done that, didn't buy the T-shirt however.

• Upvote 5
  • Helpful 1
3 hours ago, RuideAlmeida said:

Not a switch, but a link instead.

https://www.geocaching.com/my/default.aspx

PS: When I switch to the new dashboard, I can see a message on the top of the page, with a link to go back to the old one... can't you see it?

Going to this link in a new account automatically takes you to the new dashboard page, I had already checked that. I'm guessing the allowed dashboard pages are either hidden in the profile, based on account creation date maybe, or in a cookie. In the latter case, it would be conceivable to modify it, hence my initial post.

4 hours ago, Frau Potter said:

They do not have the banner that allows them to toggle to the old dashboard and profile. We have received no complaints from any of these new users. 

That's actually pretty funny.  Without the ability to compare, you wouldn't really expect to have anyone stating a preference one way or the other, would you?

• Upvote 4
  • Helpful 2

I'm just glad that they do allow many of access to the original pages.

As one example, logging from 'drafts' is much better for me the old way.  Using the old drafts screen, I can quickly view the cache itself by right clicking the cache name to open it from that page in a new tab to be sure I recall the details of the page correctly.  Can't do that with the new version.  Right clicking on it now just opens up the actual logging page.

So another example of less features in the new scheme -- Why would I want to change?

Edited by ecanderson
  • Upvote 1
22 minutes ago, ecanderson said:

I'm just glad that they do allow many of access to the original pages.

As one example, logging from 'drafts' is much better for me the old way.  Using the old drafts screen, I can quickly view the cache itself by right clicking the cache name to open it from that page in a new tab to be sure I recall the details of the page correctly.  Can't do that with the new version.  Right clicking on it now just opens up the actual logging page.

So another example of less features in the new scheme -- Why would I want to change?

Wouldn’t it be better to have a single version that supports all of these requirements?

• Helpful 1
1 hour ago, ecanderson said:

I'm not sure what new requirements were fulfilled in my particular case.  All I see is a diminution of features, nothing new or improved.

So they should get rid of the new dashboard.  Just seems odd to maintain two versions of essentially the same thing.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1
25 minutes ago, IceColdUK said:

Under Settings - top right - on any page (including old and new dashboards) with all of your other Account Settings such as password, email prefs, etc.

Got it. On the old dashboard I don't have to go to settings though, it's right there on the main page. Thank you for letting me know it's available on settings, though. 

On the old logging page I can swipe the CO name and drag it down, so I can have TFTC COname. That doesn't work on the new logging page. On the new logging page I have to take the slower route and copy and paste. That can't be done if I already have something else in the memory I want to paste. Then I have to type the CO's name, a slow process, likely to get spelling mistakes.

While the new version remains this clunky, I will stick to the old version, thank you very much.

Edited by Goldenwattle
5 minutes ago, Goldenwattle said:

On the old dashboard I can swipe the CO name and drag it down, so I can have TFTC COname. That doesn't work on the new dashboard. On the new dashboard I have to take the slower route and copy and paste. That can't be done if I already have something else in the memory I want to paste. Then I have to type the CO's name, a slow process, likely to get spelling mistakes.

While the new version remains this clunky, I will stick to the old version, thank you very much.

Are you referring to the dashboard or the logging page? I'm not sure where you'd find the CO's name of a cache you're logging on your dashboard.

10 hours ago, Frau Potter said:

Beginning in September 2019, new accounts have been provided access only to the new profile and dashboard pages. They do not have the banner that allows them to toggle to the old dashboard and profile. We have received no complaints from any of these new users. 

Thanks for the laugh! Were you thinking that the "new" pages are so bad you might get complaints from new users even though they would have no idea there were better alternatives?

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 2
  • Helpful 2
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, barefootjeff said:

Are you referring to the dashboard or the logging page? I'm not sure where you'd find the CO's name of a cache you're logging on your dashboard.

I was referring to the logging page. My mistake, as I thought that was what was being referred to. I modified my post above.

I had forgotten there was 'another' new dashboard. I glanced at it, saw nothing to recommend it and went back to the old and put it out of my thoughts.

I know the OP probably didn't want this to turn into a discussion on old vs new, but ... well, sorry!

14 hours ago, ecanderson said:

I can see the difference, but it doesn't seem to me to be a big deal.  On the old Drafts you right click on the cache name (if you want to check the details), and then click 'Compose'.  On the new version, you click on the Draft, and then (if you want to check the details of the cache) you right click on the cache name.

Not saying you should want to change, but it's two clicks either way.

(I prefer logging in GSAK - that's just one click because the cache page is automatically opened in another window.)

Folks for those who have new accounts but no banner there is an easy way to switch still. I am not sure if it was intended for them not to be able to though. Each one has its pros and cons and although I will not move to the new page, I find myself switching over for the events calendar but that is all. 

On 7/28/2020 at 7:07 AM, IceColdUK said:

I can see the difference, but it doesn't seem to me to be a big deal.  On the old Drafts you right click on the cache name (if you want to check the details), and then click 'Compose'.  On the new version, you click on the Draft, and then (if you want to check the details of the cache) you right click on the cache name.

I open my "drafts" page, and when I have loads of deal with, I middle-click Compose and the cache Title, so I have the listing for memory, and I can compose my log - both in separate tabs. When done I close them and the "drafts" page is still open so I can continue with the rest of the "drafts".  I vastly prefer this method, and the only UI 'need' to retain this is that the links to Compose and the Cache are standard links that be opened in a new tab. That's it.  No UI mouse functional interception, let the browser deal with how to handle standard <a href> links... 

• Love 1