Abc

badwo1f1987

Hello I'm new to geocaching and been trying to work out some abc puzzles, and I would like some tips on how to solve them, for example, "To find the cache go to the front of the hall and by the main entrance door is a sign with the community centre hire information. Call the mobile number ABCDE FGHIJK. The cache is at N51 10 F K (C-K) W000 09 (C-E) F I" any tips on how to solve these would be greatly appreciated many thanks badwo1f1987

Hi badwolf,

that is quite easy. You'll find an eleven digit number at some given (or caluclated) coordinates. Let's say the number is 12567 812345. That would mean:

A=1

B=2

C=5

D=6

K=5

Just put those numbers in the formula to get the next coordinates - int his cache it would be the location of the final cache box.

In your given case - and if this was a real example - the word "call" might be misleading as there are several ways to "call a number". ;-)

Jochen

• Surprised 1
1 hour ago, badwo1f1987 said:

I appreciate the help, so giving your example what would( c-e) mean?  P.s yes It is a real cashe ?

In the Terms of Use, we agree not to : "Publish on our websites or anywhere else, solutions, hints, spoilers, or any hidden coordinates for any geocache, Adventure Lab or Lab Cache without consent from the owner."

• Helpful 1
3 hours ago, badwo1f1987 said:

Thanks ? I appreciate the help, so giving your example what would( c-e) mean?  P.s yes It is a real cashe ?

(c-e) is just subtraction. If C=5 and E=7, then it would be (5-7)=-2, which doesn't really work in this kind of puzzle. But let's say that E=4 instead. Then (c-e)=(5-4)=1.

FWIW, this kind of substitution and arithmetic cache was usually listed as a multi-cache, not as a mystery/puzzle cache, back where I used to live. But I've been places where (to my confusion) they were listed as mystery/puzzle caches. And I haven't found enough caches in my new home area to know how it would be listed here.

Edited by niraD
finished example

Perhaps there are several problems here - more than we thought. You are completely new and probably haven't learned much about coodinates, yet? In this case you have to know about the mostly used coordinate format in geocaching which is:

North (or South)

followed by the full degrees

followed by minutes (which is a fraction of one degree) with three ciphers after the decimalpoint

West (or East)

same as above

In your case you need coordinates like

N51 10.xxx (or 9.xxx, or 11.xxx) W000 09.yyy (or 08.yyy, or 10.yyy)

(N North, W West)

You will notice that if you change the full degrees let's say to N52 you are somewhere completely different - but the next stage/final cache will be close to you so the 51 shouldn't change.

The formula gives you the full Norhth degrees 51, the full minutes 10 and you are only missing the decimal ciphers of the minutes. These are three as this is the usual format and many apps or GPS devices work with it. You do the three individual calculations:

F is one cipher (first after the decimal point)

K is one cipher (second after the decimal point)

(C-K) is one cipher (last after the decimal point)

So with my numbers where F=8, K=5, C=5 you calculate C-K=5-5=0 and than you have the coordinates (only North)

N51 10.850

You do the same with West (of course with the numbers you find, not with mine) and then you have full coordinates.

That's quite common to calculate each decimal cipher alone, so in this case

F, K and (C-K) (North)

or (C-E), F and I (West)

each give one individual cipher for the missing coordinates.

Of course -2 shouldn't be one of the ciphers and it will not happen if you take the number you'll find there and not my imaginary one! :-)

Now go and get out to find the real numbers but please do not post them here - spoiler alert! Do the calculations and use any tool to go ground zero and find the cache!

• Helpful 1
4 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

Maybe I'm having an off day, but doesn't "Publish on our websites or anywhere else, solutions, hints, spoilers, or any hidden coordinates for any geocache, Adventure Lab or Lab Cache without consent from the owner."  include help to solve ?

I think if we weren't allowed to answer such basic questions as this, the forum would be a pretty sad place.  Seems to me this is a million miles from spoiling a puzzle.

• Upvote 4
8 minutes ago, IceColdUK said:

I think if we weren't allowed to answer such basic questions as this, the forum would be a pretty sad place.  Seems to me this is a million miles from spoiling a puzzle.

Exactly. This hasn't been about the solution for a specific puzzle (even though the OP referred to a specific puzzle). This has been about the general technique for producing a set of coordinates using a basic substitution and arithmetic formula, which is common to many multi-caches and mystery/puzzle caches.

• Upvote 2
3 minutes ago, niraD said:

Exactly. This hasn't been about the solution for a specific puzzle (even though the OP referred to a specific puzzle).

This has been about the general technique for producing a set of coordinates using a basic substitution and arithmetic formula, which is common to many multi-caches and mystery/puzzle caches.

Exactly.   And I noticed because it was a specific puzzle, you didn't include your helpful links on puzzles in general.  :) 

- Why I was curious.   Thanks.

2 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

Exactly.   And I noticed because it was a specific puzzle, you didn't include your helpful links on puzzles in general.  :) 

- Why I was curious.   Thanks.

I don't think my puzzle tips would help in this case. It isn't about solving a puzzle. It's about how basic substitution and arithmetic works to convert information into coordinates.

• Upvote 1