[Feature Request] Message Option When Deleting A Log

JL_HSTRE

When a log is deleted, the person who posted the log is notified. It would be helpful if deleting the log automatically gave me the opinion to include an explanation of why I am deleting the log. I would be fine with a drop-down menu of standard options, but a text box would probably be better.

Valid reasons for deleting a log can include:

1. Duplicate logs. (Although duplicate Find logs are no longer possible, I've seen some app glitches where the same log is posted twice but the second is a Note.)

2. You have not sent answers to the Earthcache/Virtual as required. If you send the answers you are welcome to relog the cache as a Find.

3. You logged the Challenge Cache without providing proof of your qualifications.

4. You didn't sign the log. (Some people are more stringent about this than others, but some caches - like a locked container with a combo puzzle - warrant more stringent policing of logs.)

5. You logged a Find, but it's clear from the text of your log that you meant it to be a DNF.

6. It's clear from your log that you logged the wrong cache.

Edited by JL_HSTRE
  • Upvote 4
  • Helpful 2
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, JL_HSTRE said:

When a log is deleted, the person who posted the log is notified. It would be helpful if deleting the log automatically gave me the opinion to include an explanation of why I am deleting the log. I would be fine with a drop-down menu of standard options, but a text box would probably be better.

Yes, that would be quite useful. Strange that when you delete an image from a log you must give an explanation, even if it's from your own log, but if you delete the whole log there's no way of doing that.

Just recently I had to delete a log from one of my multis, as the log's content strongly suggested they only found the first stage and when I checked the cache there was indeed no signature in the logbook. The cacher in question is a PM who joined in April but has never visited the website. I tried contacting her via the Message Centre but got no response so after a couple of weeks I sent another message by email but again no response. Eventually I had to just delete the log but had already exhausted all possible ways of giving her an explanation. It made me feel bad having to do that, particularly as it was her first "find", but the climb from the waypoint to GZ is what gives the cache its T4 rating and it wouldn't have been fair on the others who've completed it to allow that log to stand.

• Upvote 1