Premium cache storage

Using Garmin GPSMAP 66st

Even with a basic account you can download information on premium caches by inputting the cache code and downloading the info from geocaching.com via wifi.  They are there even after rebooting the GPS. My question is where are they located in the Garmin unit?  The "basic" caches are stored in the Garmin's GPX folder. However the premium caches seem to be stored in another location. Maybe in another format? Does anyone have any idea where the premium caches are stored in the Garmin GPS when you have a basic account?

Edited by Liviticus

All geocache data loaded via GCLive is stored in the GPSr internal memory, and you will not be able to access them like manually loaded geocaches which are loaded as GPX and GGZ files.

Now, if you 'Share Wirelessly' one of these GCLive downloaded geocaches with another compatible Garmin GPSr,  the geocache will be stored as a GPX file on the receiving device.

Edited by Atlas Cached
  • Upvote 2
23 minutes ago, Liviticus said:

Using Garmin GPSMAP 66st

Even with a basic account you can download information on premium caches by inputting the cache code and downloading the info from geocaching.com via wifi.  They are there even after rebooting the GPS.

My question is where are they located in the Garmin unit?  The "basic" caches are stored in the Garmin's GPX folder. However the premium caches seem to be stored in another location. Maybe in another format? Does anyone have any idea where the premium caches are stored in the Garmin GPS when you have a basic account?

Okay, curious if I got this...  You figured a way to "get" pmo caches, or advanced caches as a basic member ?   Thanks.  :)

The website has allowed basic members to find all but pmo caches well-before we started,...

1 minute ago, Liviticus said:

So once you are a "premium" member is the premium geocache information STILL stored in the GPSr internal memory? Or does it become just another GPX file like the others?

Why would you not get a premium membership and financially support the game? What bother with all this discussion. Support the game; it doesn't run on people not paying.

• Upvote 1
10 minutes ago, Liviticus said:

Like I said, its not about saving money on a premium membership. Its about understanding how my Garmin operates. I don't even know if I WANT to play the game yet. It has been my experience that more than half of the premium caches in my area are neglected, missing or full of mold.

For someone, such as yourself starting out, that's fair enough. You need to have time to decide if you want to continue playing the game. It's just that I read of too many people on here discussing ways not to pay membership. It's not a good idea to give them ways to avoid this.

Sorry about bad maintenance of caches in your area. It's not like that everywhere. Those badly neglected caches need a 'Needs Maintenance' log.

Edited by Goldenwattle
3 minutes ago, Liviticus said:

After paying nearly $400 for my Garmin, another $30 for a Garmin battery pack, purchasing a protective cover as well as a screen protector, the least of my worries is paying $30 a year for a premium membership.  I have tried the "needs maintenance" log.  My experience has been rude and very unpleasant people leaving comments about calibrating my GPS among other things assuming there is any response at all. I have even offered to adopt some of the neglected caches and maintain them and received even more rude responses. So far I have been very unimpressed by the whole thing.

Sorry about the rude replies. There are a few 'sensitive' people out there, but most people aren't like that. Although I am speaking more from thinking about where I live.

1 hour ago, Liviticus said:

After paying nearly $400 for my Garmin, another $30 for a Garmin battery pack, purchasing a protective cover as well as a screen protector, the least of my worries is paying $30 a year for a premium membership.  I have tried the "needs maintenance" log.  My experience has been rude and very unpleasant people leaving comments about calibrating my GPS among other things assuming there is any response at all. I have even offered to adopt some of the neglected caches and maintain them and received even more rude responses. So far I have been very unimpressed by the whole thing.

Yeah, since people are the only thing standing between a good experience and a bad experience, you just never know what you're gonna get! We've had some very foul experiences with other 'players', but you just have to smile and move on to the next cache.

This hobby will be exactly what you make it.

Edited by Atlas Cached
4 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

Okay, curious if I got this...  You figured a way to "get" pmo caches, or advanced caches as a basic member ?   Thanks.  :)

The website has allowed basic members to find all but pmo caches well-before we started,...

3 hours ago, Liviticus said:

It's not about trying to save a puny $30 a year. Its about understanding how a GPS  I paid nearly $400 for operates.

And, I seriously doubt I am the very first person to type in the GPX code for a premium cache and download the results.

The code is listed on every premium cache on the website.

I didn't say anything about your reason.  You're being defensive  over something not there...

I was simply asking whether you're talking about actual premium member only caches,  or "advanced". 

There's a  big difference between the two.

The site talks about premium membership allows you to find pmo caches, so it doesn't matter if you have a thousand dollar GPSr, a basic member shouldn't be able to view pmo caches.