[Feature Request] Orange jigsaw piece for corrected multi's

When coordinates are given, they are in the list of POI on my GPS (loaded with GSAK +GarminExport macro. I can read the info for that info too opening the POI. If WPs need to be calculated they are in the list of WPs as I create them along the way.

As far as I'm aware once a "next stage" is used, you can't go back to the previous stage as the WP is not stored anymore. That's what made me not use next stage when I got my Colorado300.

The reason I create WPs is because after a cache day I download the WPs and enter them as child WPs in GSAK, All other info goes into the cache notes. When using "next stage", at the end you just have the final coordinates and not al stages in between.

26 minutes ago, on4bam said:

When coordinates are given, they are in the list of POI on my GPS (loaded with GSAK +GarminExport macro. I can read the info for that info too opening the POI. If WPs need to be calculated they are in the list of WPs as I create them along the way.

As far as I'm aware once a "next stage" is used, you can't go back to the previous stage as the WP is not stored anymore. That's what made me not use next stage when I got my Colorado300.

The reason I create WPs is because after a cache day I download the WPs and enter them as child WPs in GSAK, All other info goes into the cache notes. When using "next stage", at the end you just have the final coordinates and not al stages in between.

Most multies I pre-plan by printing them out before I attempt them. The GPS screen is small and tricky to read in the field, and leads to mistakes. I write down each WP. However, once the cache is logged, I may or may not bother to keep the WPs. They are usually superfluous once the cache is logged.

1 hour ago, Goldenwattle said:
2 hours ago, on4bam said:

BTW, I'm not forcing anyone not to use corrected coordinates on whatever cachetype, it just isn't logical to sort odd delete the "breadcrumbs" leading to a final.

It's also one of the reasons I've never used "next stage" on any of the GPS's I've used, I just create new WPs.

It seems weird to me not to use next stage.

Wow, I've learnt something today - I've had my Oregon 600 for over 5 years and I never even realised there was a 'next stage' function!  I've always done it like on4bam, but always been frustrated that the Geocache Dashboard I have on the map shows the distance to the cache's posted coords rather than to the WP I'm trying to reach.  I think I'll be using this. :-)

I see that you can save Next Stage as a WP, which is useful if you do want to retain those intermediate points, but it's a bit fiddly and, of course, you have to remember to do it before you plug in the next set of coords.

22 minutes ago, IceColdUK said:

Wow, I've learnt something today - I've had my Oregon 600 for over 5 years and I never even realised there was a 'next stage' function!  I've always done it like on4bam, but always been frustrated that the Geocache Dashboard I have on the map shows the distance to the cache's posted coords rather than to the WP I'm trying to reach.  I think I'll be using this. :-)

I see that you can save Next Stage as a WP, which is useful if you do want to retain those intermediate points, but it's a bit fiddly and, of course, you have to remember to do it before you plug in the next set of coords.

The more logical way would be to have more "next stage" coordinates in the geocaching dashboard. They could be numbered and then there should be an option to go to "previous stage" or better, a dropdown with all WPs of that cache so you could go anywhere from within the multi's page. Anyway, creating WPs works best for me, for more complex multis I just print WP number + what to do and final formula. In case I need the listing I can always fall back on my tablet with GDAK for the full listing + pictures and all logs.

• Upvote 1
23 minutes ago, on4bam said:

The more logical way would be to have more "next stage" coordinates in the geocaching dashboard.

Do you mean that as you work out the formulae for each WP and put it in 'Next Stage' it could be numbered, or are you expecting a list of WPs (which sometimes happens, although mostly the next WP isn't known until it is worked out) and that to be included with the cache?

2 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:

Do you mean that as you work out the formulae for each WP and put it in 'Next Stage' it could be numbered, or are you expecting a list of WPs (which sometimes happens, although mostly the next WP isn't known until it is worked out) and that to be included with the cache?

Could be anything. Enter coordinates, give name... go...

4 hours ago, on4bam said:

The more logical way would be to have more "next stage" coordinates in the geocaching dashboard. They could be numbered and then there should be an option to go to "previous stage" or better, a dropdown with all WPs of that cache so you could go anywhere from within the multi's page. Anyway, creating WPs works best for me, for more complex multis I just print WP number + what to do and final formula. In case I need the listing I can always fall back on my tablet with GDAK for the full listing + pictures and all logs.

I'm curious why you would need to go to a previous stage?

On my Garmin 66s I like to use the Next Stage since it keeps that "stage" linked to the cache page.  When I get there I can easily see the questions/tasks/etc. needed at that time.  Once done I can hit "menu" and save those co-ords as a waypoint (generally I like to write down the co-ords in a small notebook, so if I've fat fingered a number I can correct without going back, this list I can use to add WP's in GSAK) to add to the cache in GSAK.  What I don't like is navigating to a separate WP - which generally does NOT have the questions/tasks listed - and having to find the original cache to find the questions/tasks, then back to WP, since they are generally just a set of numbers without indication of what I'm looking for.  With Next Stage the GPSr automatically routes to the new numbers, entering a WP (which sometimes is miles away) I have to hunt thru lists or maps to find it among the other caches.  This makes deciding if I'm going on with the multi or something else (I had one multi that took you on a tour of Seattle and bounced all over the city.  For almost all of them I did that stage and saw the next was too far for that day or in the wrong direction - took a few months to get it done.).

2 hours ago, The Jester said:

I'm curious why you would need to go to a previous stage?

It doesn't happen often anymore but we had instances we made a mistake taking notes or mistyping what's on a tag so we had to go back when there was nothing at the next WP. That's why we began to take photographs of every WP so we could check the photo instead of walking back.