Garmin outage and Basecamp

So I just got a etrex 30x for geocaching and hiking.  I knew the basemap was useless when I bought it, but I bought a memory card as well and was planning on putting on maps from other sources.  (USA OSM Topo Routeable)  If anyone has a better suggestion I am open to them. (I'll probability need a good Canadaian map when the open the boarder again.)

Is there an alternative to basecamp?  Is there any other trusted site to download it?

Thoughts?

Thank you!

There are many third party software titles that will do some of the things BaseCamp does, and sometimes they even do them better, but there is no 'all-in-one' replacement for BaseCamp.

I use many of these third party apps, depending on what I want to achieve, but I always use BaseCamp, which can be found at GPSrChive.

GPSrChive > eTrex x0x includes a lot of useful information and a 'Maps' page with many third party map solutions for your new GPSr!

Edited by Atlas Cached
  • Upvote 1

Basecamp isn't useless at all. It's not great for geocaching. But for managing your tracks, waypoints, routes, and maps, it's actually a fantastic program. I think a lot of the complaints about Basecamp come from people using older devices that don't connect as mass storage devices and have to use Mapsource to transfer their data, or folks who started using Mapsource 15 years ago and can't cope with adapting their workflow to Basecamp.

2 hours ago, Mineral2 said:

Basecamp isn't useless at all. It's not great for geocaching. But for managing your tracks, waypoints, routes, and maps, it's actually a fantastic program. I think a lot of the complaints about Basecamp come from people using older devices that don't connect as mass storage devices and have to use Mapsource to transfer their data, or folks who started using Mapsource 15 years ago and can't cope with adapting their workflow to Basecamp.

If you are editing tracks, Mapsource has better tools overall, I've found.  Joining tracks in Mapsource is simple, in Basecamp it takes a couple of menu searches to do.

• Upvote 1
39 minutes ago, The Jester said:

If you are editing tracks, Mapsource has better tools overall, I've found.  Joining tracks in Mapsource is simple, in Basecamp it takes a couple of menu searches to do.

Unless you learn all the keyboard shortcuts, in which case no menu searching is required!

8^)

I think I understand it a bit better now.  I installed basecamp and figured out how to install maps.  I am installing the USA Northeast OSM Topo Routable map and the All Trails map.  I figure I can turn off the all trails if the data overlaps.  We will be mostly hiking with this unit, and geocaching of course.  I'll let you know how the map installs go.

Thanks all!

It's a little more convoluted on a Mac because maps don't install directly with basecamp, but with an additional map manager program to install it on your computer, and MapInstall to transfer it to your GPS. But maps installed with Map Manager are visible in Basecamp. And Basecamp will read maps that are installed on your GPS.

It's not perfect, but it does work and it works well with Garmin handheld GPS receivers.