Something happened in 2016

I'm finding that many of my waymarks from 2016 with photos in the vertical position have been repositioned horizontally.  I vaguely remember that about that time I was having problems uploading vertical photos in the upright position.  I was posting from either Windows 7 or Windows 10 at the time. I had to rotate them to get them to appear correctly on the web (Waymarking and maybe facebook as well). Is anyone else having this happen to them?  For the moment this only seems to be happening to photos in the first half of 2016.

Edited by RakeInTheCache
2 minutes ago, RakeInTheCache said:

I'm finding that many of my waymarks from 2016 with photos in the vertical position have been repositioned horizontally.  I vaguely remember that about that time I was having problems uploading vertical photos in the upright position.  I was posting from either Windows 7 or Windows 10 at the time.  Is anyone else having this happen to them?  For the moment this only seems to be happening to photos in the first half of 2016.

I vaguely remember noticing this while looking at local waymarks to visit  this week. Strange! 

It's all about the orientation info in the photo's EXIF. It was around the time in question that Waymarking started stripping the EXIF from uploaded photos. I believe I figgered out their reasoning for doing so, but it escapes me at the moment. Unfortunately, this also stripped the Alpha Channel from .pngs, making transparencies unworkable, causing me to grind my teeth and mutter under my breath for quite some time.

The safest solution is to do what I do - always delete the EXIF from portrait oriented pix as a matter of course. For that matter, one could strip the EXIF from ALL pix one is about to upload, as that will happen anyway.

(I think their reasoning may have been to try to eliminate the problem with incorrect orientation, but they only exacerbated the problem instead.) 

On 7/27/2020 at 7:42 PM, ScroogieII said:

It's all about the orientation info in the photo's EXIF. It was around the time in question that Waymarking started stripping the EXIF from uploaded photos. I believe I figgered out their reasoning for doing so, but it escapes me at the moment. Unfortunately, this also stripped the Alpha Channel from .pngs, making transparencies unworkable, causing me to grind my teeth and mutter under my breath for quite some time.

The safest solution is to do what I do - always delete the EXIF from portrait oriented pix as a matter of course. For that matter, one could strip the EXIF from ALL pix one is about to upload, as that will happen anyway.

(I think their reasoning may have been to try to eliminate the problem with incorrect orientation, but they only exacerbated the problem instead.) 

Interesting.  Then they must have done something to undo what they did before?

On 7/28/2020 at 2:15 PM, RakeInTheCache said:

Interesting.  Then they must have done something to undo what they did before?

I don't think so. Just downloaded a pic I uploaded today - no EXIF, so they don't seem to have changed that.

Can't think what else may have caused the change.