New log system ideas

Smory
Followers 6

3 hours ago, on4bam said:

All keys on the typewriter had switched positions making it hard to type unless you could type blind (I can't).

When I was in college, I worked at the computer center help desk. Someone thought it would be funny to swap a few keys on some of the terminal keyboards. Sure enough, a hunt-and-peck typist was assigned to one of those terminals, and came to the help desk complaining that his password no longer worked.

And I've had coworkers who would take keys from dead keyboards and (since all the keyboards in the office were the same), use those keys to spell out their name on their own keyboard. Not only did it identify which keyboard was theirs (more of a "cool factor" than an actual problem), it made the keyboard useless to hunt-and-peck typists.

At one point, I was shocked at how many software engineers are hunt-and-peck typists. But on the other hand, I can touch-type 80-90 words per minute, but I almost never get anywhere close to that. I can type that fast only when I'm typing copy that has already been written, like in a typing speed test. When I type, I'm usually composing at the same time, which really slows me down.

• Upvote 1
15 minutes ago, niraD said:

When I was in college, I worked at the computer center help desk. Someone thought it would be funny to swap a few keys on some of the terminal keyboards. Sure enough, a hunt-and-peck typist was assigned to one of those terminals, and came to the help desk complaining that his password no longer worked.

And I've had coworkers who would take keys from dead keyboards and (since all the keyboards in the office were the same), use those keys to spell out their name on their own keyboard. Not only did it identify which keyboard was theirs (more of a "cool factor" than an actual problem), it made the keyboard useless to hunt-and-peck typists.

At one point, I was shocked at how many software engineers are hunt-and-peck typists. But on the other hand, I can touch-type 80-90 words per minute, but I almost never get anywhere close to that. I can type that fast only when I'm typing copy that has already been written, like in a typing speed test. When I type, I'm usually composing at the same time, which really slows me down.

I took typing when I was a junior in high school.  Probably one of the most useful classes I've ever taken.

I set up a PC for my son when he was about 3 years old.  There are quite a games and other exercises that are appropriate for a three year old and I created a screen that he could use to access them and just let him play.  When he was about 5 I added a touch-typing program/game and he started to play with that.  I have no idea what his typing speed is now but it's really fast.  

• Upvote 1
20 minutes ago, Smory said:

Wow this thread really blew up. After reading through the replies I now see that it’s not really a big problem and that there is not much to do to fix it. Thanks for all the replies :)

No worries. Things to tend to blow up here for some reason. :antenna::drama:

• Funny 5
4 hours ago, Smory said:

Wow this thread really blew up. After reading through the replies I now see that it’s not really a big problem and that there is not much to do to fix it. Thanks for all the replies :)

Heheh the questions you raised have actually been discussed to death already, many times, and everyone has their responses ready on the tips of their tongues!

• Upvote 2
  • Funny 2
  • Helpful 1
16 hours ago, The Jester said:

You type with your tongue???? :o It gives a new meaning to hunt and peck! :D

Some reviewers are dogs (not sure how they do it - extra large keyboard using their nose?), some geocachers are frogs. I suspect the webbed hands interfere with typing so some quick tongue strikes work better. Like snatching flies. :tongue::laughing::bad:

Or maybe Signal has that antenna on his head to transmit his thoughts directly to the computer without the need for physical input? Cyberphibians are the future! :antenna:

Edited by JL_HSTRE
  • Funny 1
6 hours ago, JL_HSTRE said:

Some reviewers are dogs (not sure how they do it - extra large keyboard using their nose?), some geocachers are frogs. I suspect the webbed hands interfere with typing so some quick tongue strikes work better. Like snatching flies. :tongue::laughing::bad:

Or maybe Signal has that antenna on his head to transmit his thoughts directly to the computer without the need for physical input? Cyberphibians are the future! :antenna:

Easy - Microsoft 'Woof to Text' Conversion . Also available in Amphibian and other animal 'tongues'.

• Funny 1

I think this is more of a problem if you value your find count so much that you feel it is unfair for others to not have gotten them honestly like you did.  If you stop focusing on the find numbers, this little problem will go away.  The things you suggest are impractical, as many have pointed out.  So you can either be annoyed with it, or you can put it out of your mind and spare yourself the mental hassle.

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1