CENTRAL TX Cachers! ORGANIZE to change county parks policy!

Moosiegirl

from "blind as a bat" logs:

July 5 by iryshe (37 found) (ie, Jeremy archived it automatically! only thing he could do)

Archived:

Hello Geocache website staff,

We have discovered a Geocache sticker on our education kiosk in Travis County's Southeast Metro Park and 3 Geocache locations for this park on your website www. geocaching.com currently listed in the section for zip code 78719 as:

Blind as a Bat

Have a Nice Day

Panorama Trail

It is against park policy to have these Geocache locations in our park. We have removed the Geocache sticker from the educational kiosk and

will remove the cached barrels. Please remove thse listings from your website. Thank you.

Rose Farmer

Rose Farmer

--------end quote---------

OK, Central Texas Geocachers! It's time for us to get up in arms and let Travis County (and OTHERS!) know that we are GOOD for their parks. Please go to the Travis County site http://www.co.travis.tx.us and let the commissioners and Parks management know that we disagree with their policy (and educate them so that they will understand that we are there to help and not to hinder.). I know when we visited these caches we did the "cache in, trash out" thing and were careful not to disturb the natural flora and fauna any more than was necessary.

p.s. what the heck is a "cached barrel"?

Happy Trails! and Cache On!

Candy

Candy (moosiegirl)

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CentralTexasGeocachers/

We're from NE Texas but have visited your fine area many times.

Here's the letter I just sent the Travis County Parks Dept.

Greetings,

I’ve recently been informed that your office has taken the stance of denying people the opportunity of Geocaching on Travis County parks.

Please reconsider this action.

Geocaching does not harm the grounds. We live by the motto of, “Cache In ~ Trash Out!” and we do this with our family and friends! How many other groups of people do you have visiting your parks toting out bags of trash with every visit. Not many I’m sure.

While vacationing in your area my family and I have visited many of your parks and always enjoyed them.

Geocaching is a favorite pastime for my family, and most of my friends, and it would be ashame if we were denied the opportunity to partake in something as wholesome and fun as this while in your county. In fact, I would have less of a reason to visit your fine area, which could result in a loss of revenue. Now imagine this effect 100 or even 1000 fold.

We’re good people.

Please reconsider this action.

Thanks for the heads up Moosiegirl! Please keep us informed.

Dawgies

~Honest Value Never Fails~

First, I want to wish you the best however you decide to approach this issue. But I'm afraid mail or e-mail is impersonal in nature and easy to disregard. I'm not saying your officials will disregard it, but it would be easier if they are so inclined.

If you have any sort of organized group, or can organize one, you may want to consider inviting the officals to come to one of your meetings to explain their concerns. If they agree, it's important to demonstrate excellent listening skills while also exercising restraint by not debating with them. Thank them and let them know you will get back with them.

Once you know what's on their mind, your group can consider a response that addresses their concerns - just the ones they told you about. Don't volunteer to fix anything they don't perceive to be broken. Then meet again personally with them and present your suggestions for mitigating their concerns.

No guarantees, but I have seen it work. icon_smile.gif

First, I want to wish you the best however you decide to approach this issue. But I'm afraid mail or e-mail is impersonal in nature and easy to disregard. I'm not saying your officials will disregard it, but it would be easier if they are so inclined.

If you have any sort of organized group, or can organize one, you may want to consider inviting the officals to come to one of your meetings to explain their concerns. If they agree, it's important to demonstrate excellent listening skills while also exercising restraint by not debating with them. Thank them and let them know you will get back with them.

Once you know what's on their mind, your group can consider a response that addresses their concerns - just the ones they told you about. Don't volunteer to fix anything they don't perceive to be broken. Then meet again personally with them and present your suggestions for mitigating their concerns.

No guarantees, but I have seen it work. icon_smile.gif