Adventure lab

Geoschatter

9 hours ago, Geoschatter said:

I woud like to create an adventure lab cache but do not know how to get started, can anyone help me with that ?

You need to be granted an Adventure Lab from geocaching HQ first.  If you have been given one, there will be an email from HQ with instructions.  You'll start at labs.geocaching.com and sign in using your geocaching account; there will be a tab called My Adventures which will tell you how many Adventure Lab credits you have.

If you don't have any Adventure Lab credits, wait for another opportunity from HQ to try to sign up for one.

1 hour ago, Max and 99 said:

Anyone know of an scrabble inspired AL? I saw scrabble tiles on the intro video, but I'm curious how they use them.

I haven't heard of a Scrabble themed AL - and I would also be curious how it could be worked into an AL.  I enjoy Scrabble, and could probably come up with something.  Alas, I only have one to create, and it's nearly done, and it is themed around our local wineries; I'm not willing to change it now!

1 hour ago, CAVinoGal said:

I haven't heard of a Scrabble themed AL - and I would also be curious how it could be worked into an AL.  I enjoy Scrabble, and could probably come up with something.  Alas, I only have one to create, and it's nearly done, and it is themed around our local wineries; I'm not willing to change it now!

Drats. I looked again. I had assumed the Scrabble pieces related to a creative AL. It didn't. I so wish I could see some creative ideas, besides the one shown in the AL forum. I was born without the gene for creativity. I rely on others for inspiration!

Screenshot_20200805-200730.png

Edited by Max and 99
1 hour ago, Max and 99 said:

What is the recourse when an Adventure Lab, for any reason, needs to be "archived".  

Can the lab Creator archive it? Or can only HQ archive it?

The lab owner can turn it off to disable it or can also delete it on the builder page.

There are also under journal entry a Report this adventure button if there are something wrong with it that HQ should be aware.

I wonder if stats would be impacted when an adventure disappear.

10 minutes ago, Lynx Humble said:

The lab owner can turn it off to disable it or can also delete it on the builder page.

There are also under journal entry a Report this adventure button if there are something wrong with it that HQ should be aware.

I wonder if stats would be impacted when an adventure disappear.

Thanks!

I finally created my Adventure Lab and published it last night).  I wound up using a local statue and made all 5 "locations" in one spot; all five finds were answers to questions related to the statue.  I wanted to do two things: 1) for the people who enjoy ALs, for them to have a nice experience (both finders so far had good reviews); 2) highlight how the rules of ALs break the rules of classic geocaching, by making my AL within 528 feet of several caches and also making all 5 finds in one location.

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, GeoElmo6000 said:

2) highlight how the rules of ALs break the rules of classic geocaching, by making my AL within 528 feet of several caches and also making all 5 finds in one location.

Yeah I really wonder what was the rationale from Groundspeak to throw away everything from traditional geocaching when they introduced AL. No distance limits, no reviewing process, no notification and on a clumsy different app...

10 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

How are you getting notifications?

I’m not 100% sure, but I think I was given the option when I first ran the App after the update.

Either way, for an iPhone the option is:

Settings > Adventures > Notifications

158CFED1-D7E4-4DB2-9F13-7D69CB1C16F5.jpeg.f3b6a381f6c3b6c08f5fcb56b3f006d2.jpeg

Can’t help with Android, I’m afraid, but I assume it’s done in a similar way.

6 hours ago, Kalkendotters said:

I have no idea. Since it does not say which adventures are new, I dont know on which AL the notify triggers.

My guess is a minimum of 30km range. (Or it might just trigger on new ALs near Seatle, who knows ... )

The gear icons will be the new ones. I set up my Android for notifications and I'll see if that works. Unfortunately I found out about this feature right after a new AL was published in my area. So I'll wait and see. ?

I don't understand the message that was posted today on my AL:

I clicked "Test" to give it a final check, and this appeared at the top of the page:

Note: There have been changes made to the source Adventure since this Test Adventure was created. To see those changes, click "Delete Test" and then recreate the Test from the Source Adventure.

I think I know what's going on: I deleted the test, then clicked on "test" again. Didn't get the message.

This makes me think that I had created a test before deleting the previous one. Not intentionally, though.

Edited by Max and 99
On 8/11/2020 at 12:18 PM, Kalkendotters said:

That seems to have changed with the latest version.

I already got two notifications on the phone that there were new AL's. But it did not tell me which ones were new; neither what distance the notifications go...

I got a notification! It worked on my Android. Thank you for mentioning this in the forum.

Not only did I get a notification, but as a companion to that, and totally expected, my AL app has a notification alert on the icon.

Thanks, Kalkendotters!

Edited by Max and 99
On 8/22/2020 at 6:42 PM, Max and 99 said:

HQ, now that it has been confirmed that you CAN get notifications for ALs, can you tell us what the distance criteria is? 60 miles it out of range. A friend did not get a notification for my AL that was approximately 30 miles away. Just trying to figure out what the criteria is. Thanks!

I finally got a notification for a new lab cache 9km/6miles from where I am.

Is someone from Groundspeak could tell us what is the Range for those notifications and if there are a way to edit it. Personally I would like to get notification for 200km.

On 8/22/2020 at 3:42 PM, Max and 99 said:

HQ, now that it has been confirmed that you CAN get notifications for ALs, can you tell us what the distance criteria is? 60 miles it out of range. A friend did not get a notification for my AL that was approximately 30 miles away. Just trying to figure out what the criteria is. Thanks!

As usual, behind the power curve.  Definitely not possible from the standard notification list -- no AL type.

So .. where do I sign up?  Or is this a phone-only thing?

Watch.jpg.eaddabe8c90d4acaad98243c2b335731.jpg

Edited by ecanderson
  • Upvote 1
15 minutes ago, ecanderson said:

As usual, behind the power curve.  Definitely not possible from the standard notification list -- no AL type.

So .. where do I sign up?  Or is this a phone-only thing?

Watch.jpg.eaddabe8c90d4acaad98243c2b335731.jpg

It's an option on the adventure lab app. So far I've only gotten one notification, one that was just a few miles away. Same with another local geocacher. I am not getting notifications for caches approximately 45 miles or more from my location. 

14 hours ago, ecanderson said:

Aargh.  I was thinking it would be necessary to set up the app for text or email notification.  Wasn't thinking about in-app notification.  That would imply that this app needs to run in the background 24/7.  Not a fan of that.

I don't blame you. I wish notifications were offered in a different way. 

On 8/10/2020 at 11:43 AM, GeoElmo6000 said:

I finally created my Adventure Lab and published it last night).  I wound up using a local statue and made all 5 "locations" in one spot; all five finds were answers to questions related to the statue.  I wanted to do two things: 1) for the people who enjoy ALs, for them to have a nice experience (both finders so far had good reviews); 2) highlight how the rules of ALs break the rules of classic geocaching, by making my AL within 528 feet of several caches and also making all 5 finds in one location.

That is such a cool statue! I can see why you picked it for your adventure lab. 

• Upvote 1

I'm really not a fan of a business or organization creating an adventure lab that requires an access fee/permit. Not only a fee, but one that I saw requires that you purchase a permit online and provide your driver's license. I'm wondering if this guideline is waived for organizations? Or is this a grandfathered requirement? In other words maybe at the time it was created it was allowed and now it's not? 

17 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

I'm really not a fan of a business or organization creating an adventure lab that requires an access fee/permit. Not only a fee, but one that I saw requires that you purchase a permit online and provide your driver's license. I'm wondering if this guideline is waived for organizations? Or is this a grandfathered requirement? In other words maybe at the time it was created it was allowed and now it's not? 

This is what the guidelines in the Help Centre currently say:

image.png.971c021ada7aa1ee54ebe2c0deb79d73.png

Pretty clear-cut on them being free to play, except the waters are then muddied by them allowing exceptions.

55 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

I don't feel confident using the report button because I never know if an exception was made or if the lab is violating the guidelines. It says that exceptions must be provided in writing by HQ, but if it's not on the page how do I know an exception was given?

I would say use the report button 

11 minutes ago, Lynx Humble said:

I never used it. What the process is after clicking the button?

I quit after a few questions. You need to provide your email; general violation from menu options; specifics about the general violation you chose,  with details in the text box.

Oh wait. After that last question, I now see a Submit button (I didn't see that before since I was still on the blank text box and it was hidden).  This time I added a few letters, and the Submit button appeared. So edit: not so many, now that I know it stops there. Pretty basic and reasonable questions.