Atlanta Area Geocachers Happy Hour???

Guest tjbowers

Guest tjbowers

Gene Garris and I have considered hosting an Atlanta Area Geocacher Happy Hour and I would like to find out if there's sufficient interest. I met my first Geocacher on the trail this weekend (LoCache) and he brought the idea up without prompting so at least a base level of interest.

Since there are many families involved in Geocaching I'm using the term "happy hour" merely for convenience. The location would be "kid-friendly" but with available libations for we who are just kids at heart.

First thoughts are for a Friday evening gathering around 7p.m. That should give enough time for folks to return home from work, change, and gather the spouse/kids/GPS.

Is anyone interested?

tjbowers

http://home.att.net/~tjbowers/

Guest ScottJ

I think it's a great idea. Friday's a good night to do it, too, so that people can hook up and talk about who's going where over the weekend, form groups, etc.

Count me in.

Scott

Guest LoCache

Idea sounds great to me TJ (as you already know), just need to bang out the details. Friday nights are rough for me as I work ridiculously long hours. A Saturday afternoon would work well. Anything is cool with me and I will try to make it to whatever is decided on. I was thinking of making it in to a Geocache...actually post it as a one day only cache, and have people navigate to the location, and take/leave something....in fact you could even take the cache when done, and re-plant it somewhere else and re-post it as the Georgia Geocacher's Cache or something. Anyhow, I digress....the Saturday thing in the mid afternoon would be great because people could show up after going caching in the morning, and just make that their last cache of the day. Just some ideas....let me know what the outcome is! ;-)

LoCache

PS - Just another thought, but the place you mentioned having it could probably be easily convinced to put in some stuff for the cache or even sponsor a cache for us to plant somewhere! They're nutty like that!

Guest LoCache

Hey TJ! You know what, I think if you still want this to happen, the best thing to do would be to just do it. You know for sure you will at least have a few people. I would suggest just putting some thought in to it and making it in to a Geocache. Asking in the forums is only going to reach the ones who read them....if you put it out there as a Geocache you will be sure to reach all of the area Geocachers. And now that you can edit the cache's you can update it as you go.

There seems to be more and more Georgia Geocacher's every day, and I bet a number of them would try to make it to something like this if they knew about it.

Lemme know what you think.

Geo

http://www.geopolitan.net/geotrex

Guest ericdb1

This sounds like fun. Showed this thread to my wife and she agrees. Just let us know where and when you decide.

Guest APStouffer

It was nice meeting some of the Georgia geocachers at the MBNA FoxHall tournament, but not everyone made it, so I think we should still get together and have the first Georgia Reunion of Geocachers. Keep up the forum and discussion, we are growing in numbers everyday.

Guest tjbowers

The date has been set (though not in stone). I've submitted an "event" cache page on geocaching.com. I believe the name is "Atlanta Area Geocachers' Gathering!". I'll post a link once Jeremy adds the cache. But, for now, go ahead and mark your calendar for Saturday, June 9. We'll gather around 4 p.m. and hang out for a couple of hours (or more). The location is friendly to kids of all ages, but, to find us you'll have to hunt us! More later.

Jess

t_j_bowers@hotmail.com

Guest erik88L-R

I'm truly looking forward to meeting my fellow geocachers. I met some of you at the Foxhall event, but it would be nice to get together in a setting where we're not walking non-stop!

See you there!

erik