1000 Places to See Before You Die Languishing

I see the officers of 1000-places.gif1000 Places to See Before You Die have fallen into inactivity as the last several waymarks were approved by Wayfrog.  I like this category and would like to see it continue.  Are there others of the same mind who would be willing to become officers.

The major question here is I am not ready to go and purchase all of the books (I have one paperback edition) so acceptance criteria is an issue.

I'm happy to announce that I was appointed as an officer but a bit disappointed that the leader didn't reply to my personal e-mail.  I sent it to the address listed in her profile.  I just sent off another message with a suggestion for improving the category.  Basically, it's not practical to approve these at the moment as it requires owning or having access to all the numerous editions of the book.

My idea is to change the requirements so that the waymark submitter uploads a photo/scan of the book cover, the page with the copyright, and the first page of the listing in case of a physical book, and a screen shot of the same information if the book is in electronic form.

I'm hoping for her opinion on this idea.

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, RakeInTheCache said:

I'm happy to announce that I was appointed as an officer but a bit disappointed that the leader didn't reply to my personal e-mail.  I sent it to the address listed in her profile.  I just sent off another message with a suggestion for improving the category.  Basically, it's not practical to approve these at the moment as it requires owning or having access to all the numerous editions of the book.

My idea is to change the requirements so that the waymark submitter uploads a photo/scan of the book cover, the page with the copyright, and the first page of the listing in case of a physical book, and a screen shot of the same information if the book is in electronic form.

I'm hoping for her opinion on this idea.

The way I've been doing it is going to Amazon and using the "Look Inside" feature. That way, you don't need to have the book and it's easy to search for places or event. A downside is that not all the pages are viewable, but a good bit are. I would suggest some proof should be required when the waymark is sent either a weblink to the pages on Amazon, or like you said a photocopy of the pages if someone does have the book.

3 minutes ago, bluesnote said:

The way I've been doing it is going to Amazon and using the "Look Inside" feature. That way, you don't need to have the book and it's easy to search for places or event. A downside is that not all the pages are viewable, but a good bit are. I would suggest some proof should be required when the waymark is sent either a weblink to the pages on Amazon, or like you said a photocopy of the pages if someone does have the book.

I'm doubtful whether all of the editions are still available in Amazon. Mine is 10 years old.

OK, so the plot thickens.  Most of the 24 waymarks were coming from the US and Canadian version of the book.  I do not have this version so as a new officer I called votes on these.  I find out now that the votes have been cancelled and the waymarks don't seem to exist any more.

Marine Biologist was promoted to officer but has just quit the group without any comments.

Group Leader still incommunicado...

15 minutes ago, RakeInTheCache said:

Still scratching my head about the vote cancellations.  I still see the votes as active on the site but here is a copy of one of the e-mails I received. Not sure if it's a technical issue or the result of an action taken by the leader..

image.png.9c20542e591de0e4a2a9306c7a901420.png

Have any of the other officers "logged in" to the Waymarking site since the votes have been called? Maybe Wayfrog canceled them?

To update the community on this topic, we now have the requisite number of officers to begin taking an action to replace the category leader.  In order to do this as tactfully as possible I am sending Waymarking messages to the long standing officers along the lines of the following below.  New officers, don't forget to vote yes for the next few actions.

Hello xxx,

I am writing you concerning the 1000 places to see before you die category.  Over the last several months, this category has become increasingly neglected by the long standing officers including the category leader.  As I particularly like this category, it has been sad to see it become neglected.  This is why I would like to work to make it more active and make it easier for new officers who may not have the books to approve submissions in this category.  The category leader has not responded to my ideas to improve the category, and none of the other officers, including you have responding to recent efforts to reach out.  For this reason, I am initiating an action to take over leadership of this category.  I would like to know whether you are still interested in remaining an officer and would assist me in becoming the leader.  I'm asking you to respond to me within 24 hours to indicate your intention, after which, without a response, I will assume that you no longer wish to be active in this category, and will initiate actions to demote you.  

It is with a certain sadness that I write this as you have contributed greatly to the category in the past.  

In case you are demoted and wish to remain an officer, I will promote you after the action is completed.

Best regards,
RitC.

Edited by RakeInTheCache
1 hour ago, elyob said:

Will the transition be a smooth one?

I have never received any response from GT.US to my e-mails. I have no idea what her intention is for this category or her role in it.  I think the only way for me to take over leadership is to initiate votes to demote the old officers first and then finally initiate a vote to demote the leader.

Someone correct me if there is another way.

On 7/22/2020 at 12:12 AM, Max and 99 said:

As long as you don't require anything fancy, I'm happy to send you screenshots of book pages. If it'll help. It won't be anything edited, just a quick snapshot to show you it's in the book.  When you have waymarks again.

Hi, the problem is the book has been around so long there are many editions, each edition adding (and maybe removing) some sites.  So if you only have one edition this might not cover all submissions.  Therefore, I'm proposing to change the rules so that the waymarker uploads a photo of the edition page plus the entry page of the site with it's title in the book. That way, no officer even needs to have any of the books to approve or deny waymarks.

Edited by RakeInTheCache
1 hour ago, RakeInTheCache said:

To update the community on this topic, we now have the requisite number of officers to begin taking an action to replace the category leader.  In order to do this as tactfully as possible I am sending Waymarking messages to the long standing officers along the lines of the following below.  New officers, don't forget to vote yes for the next few actions.

Hello xxx,

I am writing you concerning the 1000 places to see before you die category.  Over the last several months, this category has become increasingly neglected by the long standing officers including the category leader.  As I particularly like this category, it has been sad to see it become neglected.  This is why I would like to work to make it more active and make it easier for new officers who may not have the books to approve submissions in this category.  The category leader has not responded to my ideas to improve the category, and none of the other officers, including you have responding to recent efforts to reach out.  For this reason, I am initiating an action to take over leadership of this category.  I would like to know whether you are still interested in remaining an officer and would assist me in becoming the leader.  I'm asking you to respond to me within 24 hours to indicate your intention, after which, without a response, I will assume that you no longer wish to be active in this category, and will initiate actions to demote you.  

It is with a certain sadness that I write this as you have contributed greatly to the category in the past.  

In case you are demoted and wish to remain an officer, I will promote you after the action is completed.

Best regards,
RitC.

Funny, so far I haven't received the copies of the e-mails I sent from Waymarking.  I hope the e-mail system is not on the blink again.

Hi, the problem is the book has been around so long there are many editions, each edition adding (and maybe removing) some sites.  So if you only have one edition this might not cover all submissions.  Therefore, I'm proposing to change the rules so that the waymarker uploads a photo of the edition page plus the entry page of the site with it's title in the book. That way, no officer even needs to have any of the books to approve or deny waymarks.

That sounds reasonable to me.

Just messaged Bootron

Hi Bootron,

I have sent several e-mails in the last few days using Waymarking and geocaching with the option to receive a copy of the mail but have not been receiving the copies.  Is there something now working correctly on the Groundspeak side?

Thank you,

Best regards,

Robert.

What did the message say and when did you contact nvtriker?

His last waymark posted was about a year ago. His last geocache found was 5 months ago. I'm not having any problems at all with messaging so I'd be happy to try and contact him but I don't know what to say. He asked that he not be demoted without contacting him first. It's really hard to tell when he last participated in reviewing of a waymark in that category since so many of them are from votes. That is a complicated group!

Edited by Max and 99

See my post above.  For nvtriker it was

Hello xxx,

Best regards,
RitC.

Based on passed experience, they don't respond to e-mails.  The three officers will each get a vote notification for the other officers.  If for some reason there was a mixup and I'm wrong in my prediction, they can post in the forum and the issue can be resolved.  Additionally, if they would like to continue as officers I will repromote them afterwards so there is little risk of kicking someone out who wanted to stay in.

1 minute ago, RakeInTheCache said:

Based on passed experience, they don't respond to e-mails.  The three officers will each get a vote notification for the other officers.  If for some reason there was a mixup and I'm wrong in my prediction, they can post in the forum and the issue can be resolved.  Additionally, if they would like to continue as officers I will repromote them afterwards so there is little risk of kicking someone out who wanted to stay in.

Doug had a stroke and is recovering well. (See forum discussion). As long as he will be allowed back in when he recovers and wants back in, I'll approve the vote. 

12 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

Doug had a stroke and is recovering well. (See forum discussion). As long as he will be allowed back in when he recovers and wants back in, I'll approve the vote. 

I did not know that. I missed the forum topic as I don't regularly monitor the forum.  I was wondering if something happened. I did specify in my e-mail "In case you are demoted and wish to remain an officer, I will promote you after the action is completed."  Doug has been extremely active in this category and I would absolutely repromote him back in.

Edited by RakeInTheCache
  • Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

I totally understand what you are doing. You just need the non-responsive officers gone so that you can make changes. 

Yes.  As far as I know, the only way to move into the leader position without the leader giving up their position is to demote all non active officers first and then demote the leader.  It's a lengthy process, which is why I would like to get started on it as soon as possible.

Yes.  As far as I know, the only way to move into the leader position without the leader giving up their position is to demote all non active officers first and then demote the leader.  It's a lengthy process, which is why I would like to get started on it as soon as possible.

Just remember - that vote to demote the leader has to be 100%.

On 7/30/2020 at 10:32 AM, Max and 99 said:

What did the message say and when did you contact nvtriker?

His last waymark posted was about a year ago. His last geocache found was 5 months ago. I'm not having any problems at all with messaging so I'd be happy to try and contact him but I don't know what to say. He asked that he not be demoted without contacting him first. It's really hard to tell when he last participated in reviewing of a waymark in that category since so many of them are from votes. That is a complicated group!

I am currently back in the USA. I do not normally read the forum and the email from raking in the cache telling me I had 24 hours to respond or be demoted was the first I heard of the proposed changes to the group. I sent a reply email to raking in the cache by way of the geocaching contact link. 

The proposal above makes sense to me now that I found it here on the forum. A location still needs to be from one of the books or ebooks. 

Since returning to the USA because of the Covid situation I have been trying to limit my screen time. I purchased two of the books when the catagory first started. I do not travel with the books since there are low weight limits on several airlines and in the last two years I have lived in or visited 41 counties. 

I believe I am the only active officer in a few categories so I do understand the need to make changes at some point. 

I have seen that Wayfrog has frequently approved submissions in some categories by the time I have seen the email notifications. 

Edited by nvtriker
  • Upvote 3
2 hours ago, nvtriker said:

I sent a reply email to raking in the cache by way of the geocaching contact link. 

Thanks for speaking up in the forum. Unfortunately, I did not receive your reply because I am undergoing issues with receiving e-mails from Waymarking.com and Geocaching.com.  You can imagine what a frustrating situation this is for me.  I have been contacting bootron several times to try and resolve this but no recent reply from him.  

There is currently a pending vote for your demotion which should come to an end today.  As I mentioned in my e-mail, if you wish to remain an officer I will repromote you once I become the leader of the category.

If for some reason, the vote for your demotion fails, there are two options.  We need a 100% yes vote from all the officers to remove the category leader.  If you agree to vote yes to this vote, and all other officers voted yes, I believe you will become the category leader because of your seniority in the category.  If you are willing to take on this role (but  it takes a certain commitment and experience in leading a category) and are willing to make the changes to the category yourself that would be fine.

If you do not want to become the leader, then we would have to launch another vote to demote you and get a 66% yes, and then start the process to demote the leader.

It's complicated but I've gone through it before in taking over other abandoned categories.

We have completed the officers demotion step of this action.  Although GT.US' premium membership has expired which means she is technically not eligible to be the leader of a category I just noticed that she makes reference to another e-mail address which I didn't notice before.  I'm going to try one last time to reach out to her to try and understand her intentions for this category before calling the vote to demote. 

This is the text of the message I sent.

Hi There US.GT,

As waymarks in the category were going left unevaluated by the leadership team of this category we have now recruited new officers to help in this task. I think it would be a good idea to change some of the requirements to make it easier for these new officers to judge the submissions (especially for those who do not have the books). Would you be willing to make these changes? I was just noticing that your Premium Membership has expired.  In case you are no longer interested in being the leader of this category I would be happy to take over the leadership.  I think this is a great category and would hate to see it languish.

I'm currently an officer and you have the ability to designate me as the new leader. My handle is RakeInTheCache.

If you still do have an interest in this category please do reply quickly to my e-mail.  If I don't hear from you soon, we will be obliged to start the process to demote you.

Thanks for your continued support of this hobby.

Edited by RakeInTheCache