Approving your own waymark

If you don't have enough officers, and feel the need to review your own waymark, please ask for help. . I've seen it before: an officer approves his own waymark, and there's an error. It's easy to miss your own mistakes. Just don't do it. Please.

Edit: especially when you posted it the same day you approved it. You didn't give any other officer a chance! 

Edited by Max and 99
  • Upvote 1
  • Surprised 1

"There are no written guidelines that prohibit one from reviewing one's own waymarks, but it is generally regarded as poor policy, although I know some people who do it regularly. It is not so much a matter of ethics, in my view, but a matter of quality control. Why do authors hire proof readers? It is simply because we miss our own mistakes, and I don't want to miss my own mistakes in a waymark."

Above is a 2014 quote from silverquill.

1 minute ago, elyob said:

"There are no written guidelines that prohibit one from reviewing one's own waymarks, but it is generally regarded as poor policy, although I know some people who do it regularly. It is not so much a matter of ethics, in my view, but a matter of quality control. Why do authors hire proof readers? It is simply because we miss our own mistakes, and I don't want to miss my own mistakes in a waymark."

Understood. And I personally think it shouldn't be done. Especially when there are others who can review it instead of you.

• Upvote 1
31 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

Understood. And I personally think it shouldn't be done. Especially when there are others who can review it instead of you.

I agree 100% and there's not a thing we can do about it.  

Edited by elyob
I am too angry.
On 7/17/2020 at 7:38 PM, elyob said:

I am REALLY pretty good at editing other people's work - the problem with my own - my brain reads on the screen what my brain told my fingers to type.  The problem - I am probably the world's worst typist and my fingers often have a mind of their own.  

Now, as far as other people approving their own waymarks, there are certain people who do it just as a giant "eff you" to the rest of the community.  Others - dunno, maybe because they can.  I don't and I won't.  I have always been more concerned with a quality waymark than getting the most waymarks.  I wonder though, if you are approving your own waymarks, are you afraid that someone is going to find a mistake?  Is that that what a reviewer is for?  Quality Control?  

</rant over>

• Upvote 1