LFL Cache Container

So my mother is planning on making a LFL out of some wood we acquired from our recently torn down shed. I mentioned that she could make one that's also a geocache, and she seemed to like the idea. She asked me to find a design online, and I have a good idea in my head and wanted to bounce it off of some other cachers to make sure there wasn't something I was overlooking. My idea is to build it in the shape of a house, and place a compartment to the "attic" that would be locked with a combination lock. The house design seems to be the most common one, so it should be easy enough to find a tutorial online.  The combination would be posted on the cache page, to make sure muggles couldn't get in but it's still easy for those who know what's there to open it. This seems like the best solution to me, but I'm open to any suggestions

11 minutes ago, pixelteer425 said:

So my mother is planning on making a LFL out of some wood we acquired from our recently torn down shed. I mentioned that she could make one that's also a geocache, and she seemed to like the idea. She asked me to find a design online, and I have a good idea in my head and wanted to bounce it off of some other cachers to make sure there wasn't something I was overlooking. My idea is to build it in the shape of a house, and place a compartment to the "attic" that would be locked with a combination lock. The house design seems to be the most common one, so it should be easy enough to find a tutorial online.  The combination would be posted on the cache page, to make sure muggles couldn't get in but it's still easy for those who know what's there to open it. This seems like the best solution to me, but I'm open to any suggestions

I believe it's @Goldenwattle who has a great LFL/Geocache set up. I hope I remembered that right! 

This is my LFL. GC847R1 is in the locked roof space.  Since those photographs were taken, I have added a working wall clock (a cheap working watch I was given) and a hand basin. I used wrapping paper for wall paper, as the patterns are better proportioned than those of real wall paper. The carpet is cardboard.

LFL 26May2019.jpg

Geocaching hotel.jpg

TBs resting.jpg

Edited by Goldenwattle
  • Upvote 1
  • Love 2

We have a large LFL with a letterbox and a geocache in it - we put the cache out before we were into letterboxing. The cache is a huge dictionary safe. It has been a big hit!

The cache and box are permanently tethered into the library... once the entire bottom shelf, the books, and both the box and cache were stolen, but we have had mostly good times with it since 2012. 

Edited by RecipeForDisaster
  • Helpful 1
3 minutes ago, pixelteer425 said:

That's what I was planning on doing as well :D

That's a minimum of two waymarks at your LFL. Add a fairy door (which I think are adorable additions to LFLs, and you've got a third.

I don't take trips without looking for LFLs in the area. I always have a box of registered books in my car.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
44 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

That's a minimum of two waymarks at your LFL. Add a fairy door (which I think are adorable additions to LFLs, and you've got a third.

I don't take trips without looking for LFLs in the area. I always have a box of registered books in my car.

Oh man, a geocache, letterbox, OBCZ, and three waymarks all in one package, that's pretty crazy to think about