Question about Visiting Waymarks

I've logged visits for a number of Waymarks that I actually visited in years past.  Sometimes, when I have some free time, I will look through old vacation photos and see if there are Waymarks posted for them.  I've noticed other Waymarkers doing this as well.  However, I was wondering how others feel about this practice.  I was recently questioned about this and I guess I'm not really sure if this is acceptable, or if I should stop doing it and possible delete logs from ones I visited before they were posted.  I seem to remember seeing a category at one point that actually encouraged this, but I don't remember which category it was.  I appreciate anyone's feedback on this!  I want to make sure I'm doing this correctly.  

25 minutes ago, jonathanatpsu said:

I've logged visits for a number of Waymarks that I actually visited in years past.  Sometimes, when I have some free time, I will look through old vacation photos and see if there are Waymarks posted for them.  I've noticed other Waymarkers doing this as well.  However, I was wondering how others feel about this practice.  I was recently questioned about this and I guess I'm not really sure if this is acceptable, or if I should stop doing it and possible delete logs from ones I visited before they were posted.  I seem to remember seeing a category at one point that actually encouraged this, but I don't remember which category it was.  I appreciate anyone's feedback on this!  I want to make sure I'm doing this correctly.  

It all depends on the category and sometimes the person. Some categories do not want vacation photos! I saw one waymark the other day that had a visit photo something like 25 years before the way Mark was created. 

And if you do a scavenger hunt all visits to the waymarks must be done after the Hunt is created. 

If I can do a VERY good estimate of when I was there (my Grand Canyon visit - pictures from there have my son at less than 1 yr old means I was there the summer of 1980) I will do one. I have a picture of me there. My visit to Wrigley Field was for my 16th birthday. so I know when that was, so a visit is good.

I spent almost 3 years in England and another 2.5 in Germany. I went and visited many places while there, but it could be any time in those years, so I don't post visits. And most I have no pictures left of being there.

But this is the way I play the game.

I think the first thing we must not lose sight of is that this is a game.
I personally do not care if something is marked before publication (with a photo, of course).
I started this game 4 years ago with geocaching (which I have practiced since then). But waymark frustrated me with the number of problems to publish the waymarks. I left it for two years and now I fly to resume it with more eagerness and following the advice of the guidelines and categories well. I'm doing better.
What I like most about this game (unlike geocaching) is:

1) There are many categories
2) You can create several categories with the same point.
3) They do not have to be 1.6 meters apart.
4) No pressure for FTF, signing loogbooks, or maintaining.

This all in exchange for harsh conditions of publication sometimes.

I'm liking it.

On 7/19/2020 at 5:19 PM, ScroogieII said:

I fail to see a problem with any sort of visit, using any sort of photographic corroboration. If you visited the place, no matter how long ago, your visit should be valid. A visit is a visit is a visit!!! 'Nuff Sed!

Keith

the question is "Did you visit the waymark?" Take, for example, 1000 Places to See Before You Die - Wrigley Field in Chicago. Wrigley Field was standing in the early 1900s, I'm not sure when it was built. So, did the person visit it? Can they "prove it" with a picture or a believable story? (Not "Visited. TFTW") Yellowstone has been a National Park since like 1911. Did you visit there after it was made a National Park? Can you make a good-faith estimate of when you were there ("I was 8 or 9 years old when the family took a summer vacation"). I'd say that was a visit. Did I visit the Starbucks in Phoenix the same year -- I don't hardly think so. No Starbucks in '67.

• Upvote 1

With me, I will not visit my own waymarks now UNLESS they come up in a scavenger hunt.
I have been posting visits on other people's waymarks, especially in the case where I posted an object earlier and the other person has come back and posted a waymark in a different category on the same object.  This is why I have been going back through a lot of my old pictures to capture these categories that I either missed or are newer.
That said, I agree with vulture1957 - I was there; I have proof when I was there; therefore it is a visit on the newer waymark.

3 hours ago, iconions said:

With me, I will not visit my own waymarks now UNLESS they come up in a scavenger hunt.
I have been posting visits on other people's waymarks, especially in the case where I posted an object earlier and the other person has come back and posted a waymark in a different category on the same object.  This is why I have been going back through a lot of my old pictures to capture these categories that I either missed or are newer.
That said, I agree with vulture1957 - I was there; I have proof when I was there; therefore it is a visit on the newer waymark.

I do not normally visit my own waymarks - except the Military Installations. For those, the waymark is a bunch of information about the base. Then, I do a visit to tell of my visit, usually when I was stationed there. Or in the case of Great Lakes Naval Station, when I went to my step-son's graduation from Boot Camp.

Now, if I was to go to an installation that was not already posted,  posting a separate visit would not be very insightful. Really, just "I went there to get photos for posting." So that would just be put in the original write-up.

And for Scavenger hunts, I always check the "Ignore my own waymarks" button. I don't want to go back. Been there.

Just like if I have already posted a visit to the OKC zoo, but go back again with my wife to do photographing, I don't post a second visit.  I had already visited the OK Railroad Museum, but went back because there is an Omnivorous Tree there that I needed to visit. But no second visit to the museum. And I'll go back again when the museum is open to visit the Model Railroad. But no second visit to the tree or museum.

5 hours ago, vulture1957 said:

I do not normally visit my own waymarks - except the Military Installations. For those, the waymark is a bunch of information about the base. Then, I do a visit to tell of my visit, usually when I was stationed there. Or in the case of Great Lakes Naval Station, when I went to my step-son's graduation from Boot Camp.  (This make total sense to me)

Now, if I was to go to an installation that was not already posted,  posting a separate visit would not be very insightful. Really, just "I went there to get photos for posting." So that would just be put in the original write-up.

This poses an interesting conundrum, for me anyway.  I've just started in on Waymarking, and my chosen category (so far, I'm seeing more and more possiblities!) is Wineries.  Three of the four I've had approved (and the next two I am working on, one submitted and one in the works) are wineries where we are members, so we "visit" them multiple times a year.  Each time the experience is a bit different, new wines to taste, time of year and holiday specials, etc. The visit log asks for rating the top 2 wines you tasted on your visit - well, that would change every "visit", and every time we go to the winery!  To further confuse the issue, the tasting experience during COVID-19 is way different than during "normal" times; I can post all the tasting fees, and rules as they are normally, then log a visit to say how things have changed. as I'm hoping to edit out the COVID-19 stuff once this is all over with.  It's in some of my submitted write ups, or at least alluded to, but I hope things won't always be as they are now.

Anyway, there is some logic to me visiting my own winery waymarks, and talking about my experience on each visit - they are all different.  But for as few wineries as are waymarked, I'm certain visits will be even less, so I may end up with just my own visits, multiple times, and that would look silly.  OTOH, I guess you don't have to "visit them all" - now that I know all the Taco Bell, McD's and Burger Kings around here are waymarks, one visit is sufficient, even if I had different food on each visit!  So, perhaps one visit as a follow up to the publishing, and see if other visitors come along and I don't have to visit my own to add info!

5 minutes ago, CAVinoGal said:

are wineries where we are members, so we "visit" them multiple times a year.  Each time the experience is a bit different, new wines to taste, time of year and holiday specials, etc. The visit log asks for rating the top 2 wines you tasted on your visit - well, that would change every "visit", and every time we go to the winery! 

I don't see anything silly about adding value to the information on a waymark. You can always just add a "Comment", instead of a "Visit" to add value or more information.

• Helpful 1
6 minutes ago, CAVinoGal said:

This poses an interesting conundrum, for me anyway.  I've just started in on Waymarking, and my chosen category (so far, I'm seeing more and more possiblities!) is Wineries.  Three of the four I've had approved (and the next two I am working on, one submitted and one in the works) are wineries where we are members, so we "visit" them multiple times a year.  Each time the experience is a bit different, new wines to taste, time of year and holiday specials, etc. The visit log asks for rating the top 2 wines you tasted on your visit - well, that would change every "visit", and every time we go to the winery!  To further confuse the issue, the tasting experience during COVID-19 is way different than during "normal" times; I can post all the tasting fees, and rules as they are normally, then log a visit to say how things have changed. as I'm hoping to edit out the COVID-19 stuff once this is all over with.  It's in some of my submitted write ups, or at least alluded to, but I hope things won't always be as they are now.

Anyway, there is some logic to me visiting my own winery waymarks, and talking about my experience on each visit - they are all different.  But for as few wineries as are waymarked, I'm certain visits will be even less, so I may end up with just my own visits, multiple times, and that would look silly.  OTOH, I guess you don't have to "visit them all" - now that I know all the Taco Bell, McD's and Burger Kings around here are waymarks, one visit is sufficient, even if I had different food on each visit!  So, perhaps one visit as a follow up to the publishing, and see if other visitors come along and I don't have to visit my own to add info!

I am not familiar with that particular category.  If the category does not allow you to make more than one visit, you can simply choose to Leave Comment after each experience, describing what took place.

• Helpful 1
31 minutes ago, elyob said:

Lately I have noticed categories which blocked me from making more than one visit to a waymark or is that now the situation for all waymarks, one visit only?

I chose a random waymark that I had visited last year and I was not allowed to visit it again. I wonder how this will affect scavenger hunts. I have visited waymarks more than once usually because of scavenger hunts.

I know of nothing that says you cannot visit more than once.

Now - if you take it to a new level. The Walmart in Newcastle OK has been waymarked. It was one of my early visits, as I was living near Newcastle, and drove past that Walmart every day going to and from work. Many, many evenings I would get a text from the wife to stop by the store and get something. The usual stop was WM, as it was on the way. I went there 3 or more times a week.

If I tried to post a visit each time I stepped foot in that store, I am sure the Waymark owner would have had my head on a pike. And I wouldn't blame them! It's a bleedin' WalMart!

Now, if the OKC Museum of Art is having a special display of, say, Picasso art and I went to see it, that could be a reason for a 2nd visit. Or, if I went to the OKC Symphony last year to see The Nutcracker, and this year I go for Trans Siberian Orchestra -- those are 2 completely different visits.

But even then, if I was a season ticket holder, I wouldn't post visits to every show I went to in the year.

I just did a second visit to Fort Sill military installation. When I first clicked the "Log It" button, it came up with a red note to say "You have already visited this waymark". But it let me put in a different date and comment, and accepted it. Both of my visits showed in the listing of visits, each with a different date.

After checking that it worked, I archived the visit.

23 minutes ago, vulture1957 said:

I just did a second visit to Fort Sill military installation. When I first clicked the "Log It" button, it came up with a red note to say "You have already visited this waymark". But it let me put in a different date and comment, and accepted it. Both of my visits showed in the listing of visits, each with a different date.

After checking that it worked, I archived the visit.

Confirmed. It worked for me too. The note about making a comment threw me. I thought it was only going to let me leave a comment, not a visit. Thanks for checking that out further

22 hours ago, vulture1957 said:

Many of the wineries will have a completely different selection 5 years down the road.

Try 5 months down the road - new vintages are released throughout the year; and the 2017 Pinot Noir may be completely different than the 2018 Pinot Noir from the same vineyard, and the same winemaker.  Some wines are created and bottled for consistency so a bottle of Cab is the same, and you can KNOW what it will taste like from year to year.  Some winemakers strive for that consistency.  Others work with the fruit, and let the weather, the soil, and other factors make each vintage unique.  When we had fires in the wine country a couple of years back, it affected the soils - I'm expecting some of the 2017 vintages from the vineyards that survived to have a smoky flavor from the ash that got into the soil.  

Back on topic...if you are going to a winery and there is a tasting room, your visit will not be the same as a previous visit, at least for the majority of the wineries I am familiar with!