Retire my caches

terra_trek

Start by logging a note on the cache page, and/or editing the description, to advertise that the cache is up for adoption. If you have a taker, go from there.

You can also try the RVA facebook page and see if anyone's interested.

9 hours ago, terra_trek said:

I have 5 caches I can no longer take care of and would like to turn them over to someone else. I don't want to just archive them .

Is there a process that I can use to find a new owner and give then access to the listings ?

I saw three, do you have more under another account ?    :)

Making a mention (in bold) on your cache pages would help a lot.  Making a brief mention in a Write Note will make any watchers aware also.

If someone really liked them earlier they may be interested, new finders too. 

If this virus ever gets over, events are a good option to get the word out..

2 hours ago, hzoi said:

Start by logging a note on the cache page, and/or editing the description, to advertise that the cache is up for adoption. If you have a taker, go from there.

Posting a Note will contact anyone who is watching the cache. Those geocachers would be good candidates to adopt.

Another option is to contact those who marked it as a Favorite, or anyone for whom the cache might be a particularly memorable cache (the FTF, or anyone for whom it was their first find, or anyone for whom it was a milestone). You'd need to read through the past logs for that though.

• Upvote 1
10 hours ago, terra_trek said:

I don't want to just archive them .

Why not? That is a serious question and no offense!

Being archived by the owner if he hasn't time to maintain them is the best end of a geocache. I don't see very special caches here (sorry to say that) so I'd simple take them home and archive the listing. If you have lost the interest in the hobby you might even ask the next finders to take them - less word for you and perhaps they can use the containers.

There have been several good peaces of advice here but I think best would be to make place for something new. :-)

• Upvote 1

I tend to get attached to things as well, I'm one of those people who are reluctant to throw things away "in case it's useful later". I'm new to the game, but I'd vote for giving yourself a specific deadline (say, two months?) to adopt out your caches and those that don't get any takers, archive them. If it's a good spot, someone else will drop a cache in there, a new person gets the chance to get an FTF and more turnover of caches will keep the game fresh for existing players and (hopefully) draw in new players.

Edited by Unit473L
Typo
  • Upvote 1
On 7/13/2020 at 12:46 AM, terra_trek said:

I have 5 caches I can no longer take care of and would like to turn them over to someone else. I don't want to just archive them .

Is there a process that I can use to find a new owner and give then access to the listings ?

I'm sorry you can't take care of your cache hides anymore. It's sad to give them up. I took over a friend's cache hides but didn't want to just adopt them. I wanted to create my own, which he respected and archived them. I then took over and gave local cachers more caches to find and more smilies to log. But a few here gave good advice. Look for people who gave you favorites and contact them. Good luck!