found caches

You can do a 'reset settings' or similar - read up first, and back up your waypoints first. This shouldn't delete any of your data if you do it correctly, it will reset the found caches. There is probably a less drastic way to do it, but this has worked well for me - I've used it to 'clean out the cobwebs' in the GPS - done periodically would make my Oregon 650 crash much less often....

How did you load them? One GPX file per cache? A PQ? Using GSAK?

One GPX/cache > Use a file manager and go to the GPX folder on your GPS, delete the cache's GPX file (GCxxxxx.GPX).

PQ > Delete the PQ GPX files from the GPX folder on your GPS.

GSAK > delete the GPX files from the GPX folder on your GPS or the GGZ files from the GGZ folder on your GPS

In case 2 and 3 you'll have to reload caches because you have deleted them all.

If you just want them off the list of caches on the GPS or not on the map > set filter on the GPS.

BTW, you might give use more info when asking this... see first line of this post ;)

2 minutes ago, lee737 said:

This shouldn't delete any of your data if you do it correctly,

No. A reset does not delete any data. It just sets the settings to their defaults.

@oldgala: remove the GPX files from your Garmin and load fresh files with just containing  unfound caches.

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, HHL said:

No. A reset does not delete any data. It just sets the settings to their defaults.

@oldgala: remove the GPX files from your Garmin and load fresh files with just containing  unfound caches.

I think I understand the OPs question better now - this is the way to do it. Resetting settings clears the 'found cache' number on the dashboard of my Montana. 

For me, the best way to manage this is to use pocket queries. If you set up your query to exclude finds and run it, say, weekly, each time it generates a new file it will exclude your finds logged to that point. The filename of the GPX file will always be the same, so you can simply overwrite the old file with the new one and your found caches will be gone.

• Helpful 1
On 7/12/2020 at 2:42 PM, oldgala said:

How do I get rid of found caches from my 550T Garmin GPS?  I have tried everything to get rid of these caches but no go,  help!!

I will assume you are referring to an Oregon 550t?

We will need a little more information before we can offer specific detailed assistance.

Which method from 'GPSrChive > How To... > Geocaching > Loading Geocaches' are you using to get the geocaches on your GPSr?

Edited by Atlas Cached
44 minutes ago, lee737 said:

I always keep our finds in the GPS, otherwise I'd run into problems hiding caches and proximity clashes....

The only downside to that is the Oregon 450/550 has a cap of 5,000 geocaches. If you live in a cache-dense area and you have a lot of finds, that can limit how you put new caches on the device.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Mineral2 said:

The only downside to that is the Oregon 450/550 has a cap of 5,000 geocaches. If you live in a cache-dense area and you have a lot of finds, that can limit how you put new caches on the device.

I can see how that would be a nuisance....

• Funny 1
7 hours ago, Mineral2 said:

Smart people are sending found caches as POIs to the unit (no limit at all, except a 20 GPI file limit).

• Surprised 1
7 hours ago, HHL said:

Smart people are sending found caches as POIs to the unit (no limit at all, except a 20 GPI file limit).

HHL, I don't believe you mean that the way it sounds. I hope you did not intend to infer that anyone not exporting found geocaches as POI are not 'smart people'.

To include additional helpful information for those wondering how this might be accomplished, GSAK makes the process of exporting 'geocache finds' to your GPSr as POI (instead of GPX) very painless and efficient. Garmin POI Loader can also be used with your 'My Finds' PQ, but may return less reliable results.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
1 hour ago, Atlas Cached said:

I hope you did not intend to infer that anyone not exporting found geocaches as POI are not 'smart people'.

Your hope could come true. Or maybe not. It is none of your business.

Edited by HHL
  • Surprised 1