Maximum Watchlist Size?

sloth96

I just tried adding a cache to my watchlist and received this error. 

Your Watchlist

[You have reached your maximum number (5000) of caches to watch. You will need to remove another item before adding this to your watch list.]

Is this to be expected?  I cannot find this limit documented anywhere. The bookmark list limit is 1000.  

Does this limit extend to the ignore list as well?

Thanks.

6 minutes ago, sloth96 said:

I just tried adding a cache to my watchlist and received this error. 

Your Watchlist

[You have reached your maximum number (5000) of caches to watch. You will need to remove another item before adding this to your watch list.]

Is this to be expected?  I cannot find this limit documented anywhere. The bookmark list limit is 1000.  

Does this limit extend to the ignore list as well?

Thanks.

5,000 seems like a lot to me!  But good question. It would be nice to know the limits of all these things.

27 minutes ago, sloth96 said:

Interestingly enough, my watchlist says 14602 caches are in it when going in through the API with GSAK.

Curious to know why 5000 would even be needed, but it's a good question.   I'm probably just not getting it.  Thanks.     :)   

I wouldn't want all those notifications the rare day a big promotion with a lot of folks  are out.  :D 

Just found I have 22 on watch, and 19 on ignore.  All others under 2T I just skip, so I'll never find what the limit is there.

-  The ones on watch are near-future caches I'm interesting in (series and multis mostly), JIC a segment's shot , so I don't waste the gas.

If I add one, I remove caches from watchlist and ignore if they're now archived.  That'd give some "room" if needed...

1 minute ago, niraD said:

I can't imagine a use for 5000+ on a watchlist

A person might use the watchlist mails' content to extract the cache's status and then update GSAK's databases without the need of using any API quota.

A pretty esoteric use case.

Hans

6 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

Guess if I "ignored" all the caches I just pass by, it might match that.

If I lived in Nevada, I'd put the all the ET Highway caches on my ignore list. Otherwise many of my PQs would be pretty useless. And my understanding is that there are other numbers trails like that in Nevada.

Yes, I could just pass them by, but they'd still clutter up my PQs.

A bunch of friends in the area chase resurrections.  (Some places call them lonely caches.)  They are caches that have not been found in a year. 

It always get their attentuon when i call them as they are walking away from a cache.  It is a way to celebrate with them.

As these caches usually are rarely found it is not many emails on a daily basis. They generate more archived, reviewer notes and disabled than finds.  

1 minute ago, sloth96 said:

A bunch of friends in the area chase resurrections. 

-snip - 

As these caches usually are rarely found it is not many emails on a daily basis. They generate more archived, reviewer notes and disabled than finds.  

Okay I get it now.  Works for you.  :)   I think maybe others here do that too.  

Usually I'm the one getting (hopefully joking)  @%&(# mail when I get a couple that others were waiting "just another week..." on.   :D

2 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

Okay I get it now.  Works for you.  :)   I think maybe others here do that too.  

Usually I'm the one getting (hopefully joking)  @%&(# mail when I get a couple that others were waiting "just another week..." on.   :D

Chasing those sorts of caches is a game of chicken.  So long as folks are having fun i dont see the harm and it keeps the gameboard fresh.

We dont all cache the same. 

1 hour ago, sloth96 said:

Chasing those sorts of caches is a game of chicken.  So long as folks are having fun i dont see the harm and it keeps the gameboard fresh.

We dont all cache the same. 

That's the point. It's all fun and games until @cerberus1 (or any other random cacher) comes along and finds a cache that was just about to be lonely, that's when the fun ends (Or at least for the lonely cache hunters). And could you please explain how finding a lonely cache helps keep the gameboard fresh? I would say that archiving your lonely cache and putting a new one nearby would be the best way to keep the gameboard "fresh".

• Upvote 1
11 hours ago, TmdAndGG said:

That's the point. It's all fun and games until @cerberus1 (or any other random cacher) comes along and finds a cache that was just about to be lonely, that's when the fun ends (Or at least for the lonely cache hunters). And could you please explain how finding a lonely cache helps keep the gameboard fresh? I would say that archiving your lonely cache and putting a new one nearby would be the best way to keep the gameboard "fresh".

There was one in my area that hadn't been found in about 4 years.  It was only accessible by boat.  I checked out a launch spot that was the closest I could find and it would have been about a 5 mile round trip.  I planned on going after it the following weekend when someone took a power boat to the spot it was hidden, couldn't find the original so threw down a new container with a signed log and posted a found it.  The cache was archived about a month later due to a non-responsive owner.  That was about 10 years ago and there still isn't a cache there....except probably the remains of that throwdown.

53 minutes ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

There was one in my area that hadn't been found in about 4 years.  It was only accessible by boat.  I checked out a launch spot that was the closest I could find and it would have been about a 5 mile round trip.  I planned on going after it the following weekend when someone took a power boat to the spot it was hidden, couldn't find the original so threw down a new container with a signed log and posted a found it.  The cache was archived about a month later due to a non-responsive owner.  That was about 10 years ago and there still isn't a cache there....except probably the remains of that throwdown.

Yeah, this forum really needs a "Sad" response...

:sad:

• Love 1