[Request] Revisiting Notifications for simplification

Mineral2

This is an obvious suggestion for a reasonable feature. I don't mean to minimize your post, but it's been suggested many times in the past. But, now that I think of it, not recently, so even knowing it's often requested, I appreciate you bringing it up again.

OK, so I do agree this is one of those feature that's so obvious, one wonders why the cache type wasn't a check box instead of a pull down selection to begin with. But having said that, the bug -- er, "missing feature" -- has endeared itself to me over the years. I'm too lazy to put in notifications for all 7 types, so I only have the ones I'm most interested. Once in a while, I'm pleasantly surprised when, for other reasons, I'm going to be in an area that I expect to be all cached out, but when I look at the map, I find a stray letterbox or EarthCache that's been waiting for a couple months for me to notice it. I've also gotten very use to having notifications for traditional caches have a smaller radius while still getting puzzle cache notifications for the whole area. So, having gotten use to things the way they are, when this feature is finally added, I might not use it even though I recognize it as a good idea. I apologize to the developers for saying that I don't think this was intentional, but I have to admit that the current somewhat clumsy interface has pushed me to set up my notifications in a way that turns out better, for me, than the way I thought I wanted them.

I have nine different notifications set up - one per type for traditional, multi, letterbox, mystery, Wherigo, earthcache, virtual, event, and CITO. (Used to be the virtual was only set up to notify for archive or unarchive, but now it has publish as well.)

I move every two years or so.  And every time I do, I have to separately edit nine different notifications.

So, yes, I too would like to see this helpful old feature updated to be more helpful.

4 hours ago, hzoi said:

I move every two years or so.  And every time I do, I have to separately edit nine different notifications.

Well, except that would be trivial if the notification page accepted coordinates as a single string. If the notification interface wasn't so clumsy, your nine notification edits would take 20 seconds: copy-paste-paste-paste-paste.

Oh, dear, I wish I hadn't thought of that. The fact that they haven't supported a single field for coordinate entry after all this time makes it seem very unlikely they'd change the way the cache type is set, doesn't it?

• Upvote 2