Unusual bug

coachstahly

I was playing a cartridge on my Samsung S9 using the Whereyougo app and encountered something a bit unusual on two cartridges I was playing that were created with Wherigo//kit as a question and answer style Wherigo.  It only happened twice on the first cartridge when an answer was needed but it happened at each zone in the second one where an answer was needed.  It didn't affect the continuation of the cartridge at all and I was otherwise able to play it like normal.  When prompted with a question to answer, I was given a working QR code button option to scan something, directly beneath the answer box.  It was fully functional but after communicating with the CO/creator, it was NOT something that was written into the cartridge (pretty sure Wherigo//kit doesn't allow for that within the creation process).

Does anyone know what the issue might be?  Is it something in the new re-activated Whereyougo app that is corrupting the cartridge in that manner?  Is it something within the phone operating system? Is it something within the download from Wherigo.com that is being added?  It has NO bearing on the ability to complete the cartridge so it's not overly important in that regard but it does appear to be some sort of bug that replicated the issue in the two cartridges I played yesterday.  I thought about using Geooh GO to see if that worked without the same issue being replicated but the cartridges were rather longer ones involving a longer walk or a longer drive and didn't really strongly consider using it until I was halfway through the second half of the second cartridge.

Ha-ha! I see that QR code all the time. I thought it was just a feature I didn't know how to use, so I ignored it. It makes a lot more sense to hear that they're not something the owner wanted.

So what did the QR code do? I've always wondered what it decodes to, but since I've never needed it, I've never bothered to grab a copy and decode it.

18 hours ago, dprovan said:

So what did the QR code do? I've always wondered what it decodes to, but since I've never needed it, I've never bothered to grab a copy and decode it.

There was nothing to scan but I assume it would return a wrong answer.  I wonder if the QR code, if actually an implemented feature, would prevent the hacking of cartridges and require cachers to complete the cartridge instead of go to the final spot. I tend to think not.

I'm still uncertain as to why it popped up in the cartridge and then continued to pop up the longer the Wherigo and Wherigo app was used.  That leads me to believe that it's an app issue rather than a cartridge issue.

10 hours ago, coachstahly said:

I'm still uncertain as to why it popped up in the cartridge and then continued to pop up the longer the Wherigo and Wherigo app was used.  That leads me to believe that it's an app issue rather than a cartridge issue.

I'm using whereyougo, too, so I have no reason to doubt your belief that it's the app.