Looking for officers: Artistic/Unique Light Fixtures

Almost ready to give up here and just be a Waymarking lurker, but here we go. Here’s another proposal. What do y’all think? The closest thing to it would be neon signs but that’s still far off, it’s not commercial, and I sure find it interesting. Here’s and example:  *Link deleted*
or: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/520236194430559740/

what would you guys think about this?

Edited by wayfrog
Link deleted
13 hours ago, TheBrowns! said:

Almost ready to give up here and just be a Waymarking lurker, but here we go. Here’s another proposal. What do y’all think? The closest thing to it would be neon signs but that’s still far off, it’s not commercial, and I sure find it interesting. Here’s and example: *Link deleted*

or: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/520236194430559740/

what would you guys think about this?

As a gal, I think he's cute. I vote yes.

Edited by wayfrog
Link deleted
  • Surprised 1
25 minutes ago, elyob said:

I've been Waymarking for eight years.  All of my category ideas were rejected.  I don't think that means I was rejected.  Aside from category design, there are many other ways to play this game.

Lol that’s what I meant by lurking. What do you think of this category?

The issue I have with artistic/unique art fixtures is the same issue I see in many other categories I'm either an officer or leader of --- that is, it becomes a VERY subjective challenge for those officers who would vote on submissions that are the least bit questionable... UNLESS the category was well-written to eliminate most, if not all, confusion, doubts and general opinions about  what make a light 'artistic' or 'unique'. These issues would be helped greatly by providing lots of photo examples of what would qualify (or not) in the category description (take a look at my Pergolas category to get an idea). 

Another issue I have with this category proposal is that the majority, if not all, light fixtures that would likely qualify are located indoors within businesses, museums, churches, what-have-you, and would only be accessible to the public during business hours to take a photo or two and 'log'. That really limits those opportunities to gain access to a waymark. But it's been done already (the Guest Books category comes to mind).

I've seen some absolute gorgeous chandeliers (a few have qualified in other existing categories) in my travels that I've sometimes thought would make a great waymark and then realize there's no dedicated category for them. Your idea is not a bad one, I'm just telling you that it would need a great category write-up and photo examples (or web links to interesting examples) to justify its inclusion as a new category. 

3 hours ago, TheBrowns! said:

Lol that’s what I meant by lurking. What do you think of this category?

When you're an officer/reviewer in a subjective category, it is extremely challenging to determine what should or shouldn't be accepted as a waymark.

5 hours ago, NW_history_buff said:

I've seen some absolute gorgeous chandeliers (a few have qualified in other existing categories) in my travels that I've sometimes thought would make a great waymark and then realize there's no dedicated category for them. 

Hmm. That's an interesting point. Like you said, I've seen some very decorative chandeliers during my travels. I've also seen some artistic lighting, although not as often. Some issues comes to mind with holiday lighting. It would these be included even if permanent? There are lots to explore with this concept, and it would be interesting to fine tune it to a workable category. I would vote yea if these are worked out in the forum.

15 hours ago, bluesnote said:

Hmm. That's an interesting point. Like you said, I've seen some very decorative chandeliers during my travels. I've also seen some artistic lighting, although not as often. Some issues comes to mind with holiday lighting. It would these be included even if permanent? There are lots to explore with this concept, and it would be interesting to fine tune it to a workable category. I would vote yea if these are worked out in the forum.

From what I’ve gathered so far, Anything permanent goes, as long as it’s unique. Being modern or artsy fartsy wouldn’t count, it has to be one of a kind. So with holiday lights, a permanently installed reindeer with lights!wouldn’t count, but if someone has a very unique permanent holiday light installation, (which I haven’t seen yet, but I’m sure they are out there somewhere and would pop up in the category eventually.) it would count. I understand I’m going to have to be very specific with this category and that’s fine by me. By the way, anyone interested in being an officer? I have the group up and running.

Edited by TheBrowns!
Reindeer wouldn’t count
12 hours ago, TheBrowns! said:

From what I’ve gathered so far, Anything permanent goes, as long as it’s unique. Being modern or artsy fartsy wouldn’t count, it has to be one of a kind. So with holiday lights, a permanently installed reindeer with lights, but if someone has a very unique permanent holiday light installation, (which I haven’t seen yet, but I’m sure they are out there somewhere and would pop up in the category eventually.) it would count. I understand I’m going to have to be very specific with this category and that’s fine by me. By the way, anyone interested in being an officer? I have the group up and running.

I'd be interested in becoming an officer. I can also help with the write up.

I took a day or two to rethink some ideas before moving forward with the category right up. I'll be assisting TheBrowns! in writing up the category. 

Some business may have multiple artistic lights under one roof. Therefore, I believe we should accept only one waymark per building/site. For example if there are multiples in an outdoor park, only one waymark for the entire park should be allowed. Same goes for a building regardless if there are both exterior and/or interior artistic light fixtures. This will help solve the redundancy issues.

Could these fit into the existing abstract sculptures category? Some sculptures do have lights incorporated in them. Should we cross cut categories? I would say no. I think we should have an ambiguous cut off to help distinguish if a sculpture should be included in this category. My ruling would be: a waymark can be submitted only if the lights/illumination are the main artistic focus point of the sculpture. Therefore, if a sculpture has lights incorporated within it but it is not artistic (say a Christmas tree) then it should not be included. However, an artistic light cover like this one or this one can be submitted into the mosaics category IMO. The real question is should we accept light covers like this one that don't fit in existing categories (maybe silhouette public art sculptures)? If a building has these artistic light covers around the complex maybe they should be included in this new category. I would say the same with artistic chandeliers (which I believe are the perfect fit here).

Also, if sculptures are lit up at night in an artistic way, should these be included? To this I would say no since the sculpture themselves can be posted in existing categories, but let's hear what others think.

An interesting point to mention: would any sculptures or interactive "light" displays be included? For example some museums will have displays where you can press buttons that light objects up that could be considered artistic. Would, or I guess should, these be included? A far stretch, I know, but I feel we need to cover all possibilities to make sure everyone is clear.

I'm sure I'm missing something so please feel free to express your concerns. I think this category could become a great one very soon.

13 minutes ago, bluesnote said:

I took a day or two to rethink some ideas before moving forward with the category right up. I'll be assisting TheBrowns! in writing up the category. 

Some business may have multiple artistic lights under one roof. Therefore, I believe we should accept only one waymark per building/site. For example if there are multiples in an outdoor park, only one waymark for the entire park should be allowed. Same goes for a building regardless if there are both exterior and/or interior artistic light fixtures. This will help solve the redundancy issues.

Could these fit into the existing abstract sculptures category? Some sculptures do have lights incorporated in them. Should we cross cut categories? I would say no. I think we should have an ambiguous cut off to help distinguish if a sculpture should be included in this category. My ruling would be: a waymark can be submitted only if the lights/illumination are the main artistic focus point of the sculpture. Therefore, if a sculpture has lights incorporated within it but it is not artistic (say a Christmas tree) then it should not be included. However, an artistic light cover like this one or this one can be submitted into the mosaics category IMO. The real question is should we accept light covers like this one that don't fit in existing categories (maybe silhouette public art sculptures)? If a building has these artistic light covers around the complex maybe they should be included in this new category. I would say the same with artistic chandeliers (which I believe are the perfect fit here).

Also, if sculptures are lit up at night in an artistic way, should these be included? To this I would say no since the sculpture themselves can be posted in existing categories, but let's hear what others think.

An interesting point to mention: would any sculptures or interactive "light" displays be included? For example some museums will have displays where you can press buttons that light objects up that could be considered artistic. Would, or I guess should, these be included? A far stretch, I know, but I feel we need to cover all possibilities to make sure everyone is clear.

I'm sure I'm missing something so please feel free to express your concerns. I think this category could become a great one very soon.

These are some excellent points, I agree that unless the lights are the focal point of a sculpture, then they shouldn’t be included. With the tree light cover, I don’t see why that wouldn’t be a good fit for this category. Light displays shouldn’t be an issue either. I can’t wait to hear what the community has to say.

1 minute ago, TheBrowns! said:

I just wanna brief over this, I think this should be allowed, as the statue and lighting feature are 2 separate things.

5 hours ago, TheBrowns! said:

I just wanna brief over this, I think this should be allowed, as the statue and lighting feature are 2 separate things.

...and there you go - you just stepped outside your parameters.  We have a crapton of sculpture categories - allowing LIGHTED sculptures is explicitly violating one of the peer review categories of redundancy.  You allow lighted sculptures, even, "artistically" lighted sculptures , and you have absolutely sunk your category to failure.

Pay close attention to what elyob and NW_History_Buff are advising you.  It is going to take an extremely well-written category description to get this through.  Right now, I can only see that this category is going to be extremely subjective as to what makes an "artistic" lighting fixture.  Can that be bought in a store or is that something designed specifically for a great building?  What about a write-up?  What kinds of pictures?  Can these be museum displays?  Again, you have to be absolutely, positively clear from day one on your category description write-up - this one will be tough.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 2

I agree that unless the lights are the focal point of a sculpture, then they shouldn’t be included.

Forgive me if I am speaking out of turn, as I am very new to Waymarking, and have no experience in creating a category, refining descriptions, or any of that.  Still, in reading the above statements by TheBrowns! seem to be contradicting each other. And, in my opinion (which you are free to disregard as I have no stake in this at all, just making an observation and this forum seems to be the place to express those opinions!) lights used to illuminate a sculpture are not an "artistic light fixture" - - and not the intent of the category.  Of course, it's not "MY" category or idea, so I can't know what is in the mind of TheBrowns! and I can't say what the actual intent of the category is.  Statue illumination doesn't seem to be it, though! 

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, CAVinoGal said:

Forgive me if I am speaking out of turn, as I am very new to Waymarking, and have no experience in creating a category, refining descriptions, or any of that.  Still, in reading the above statements by TheBrowns! seem to be contradicting each other. And, in my opinion (which you are free to disregard as I have no stake in this at all, just making an observation and this forum seems to be the place to express those opinions!) lights used to illuminate a sculpture are not an "artistic light fixture" - - and not the intent of the category.  Of course, it's not "MY" category or idea, so I can't know what is in the mind of TheBrowns! and I can't say what the actual intent of the category is.  Statue illumination doesn't seem to be it, though! 

He meant if the statue was illuminated in an artistic way, like lazer lights, or colors to form a pattern.  But however, after considering it today, I don’t think statues of any kind should be included, because almost every statue can fit into another category.