archived caches - can you get information on them?

moggie60

I downloaded some caches to my GPS some time ago then after I had found one of them when I went to log my find on the website the cache no longer exists. Is it possible to find information on it (I have all its details on my GPS). The cache is in very good condition and seems sad that it is gone, I would be happy to take ownership, but I wonder why it was archived, if indeed that is what has happened.

7 minutes ago, moggie60 said:

I downloaded some caches to my GPS some time ago then after I had found one of them when I went to log my find on the website the cache no longer exists. Is it possible to find information on it (I have all its details on my GPS). The cache is in very good condition and seems sad that it is gone, I would be happy to take ownership, but I wonder why it was archived, if indeed that is what has happened.

If you have all the details, finding it on the website should be easy! Cache owner? GC#? 

Had anyone else found it? Although it's very unlikely in this case, was it retracted? 

If you can see the GC code just go to https://coord.info/GCxxxxx

You'll then see the cachepage or a 404 page. If you see the 404 page the cache was retracted (unpublished) and no longer available to view, in the other case you can still log it (unless the listing is locked).

• Upvote 1

If there is a cache in poor condition, and the CO doesn't have any activity on their account for a few years, what's the etiquette for helping out?

Example 1: if the cache is an ammo tin, would fixing up the contents and putting a waterproof container inside to protect things be good or bad?

Example 2: if the cache is an ammo tin which is rusting and falling apart, would taking it away to repair and repaint then putting it back be good or bad?

Example 3: if the cache is an ammo tin which is rusting and falling apart, would replacing it with a new ammo tin be good or bad?

• Funny 1
32 minutes ago, Unit473L said:

If there is a cache in poor condition, and the CO doesn't have any activity on their account for a few years, what's the etiquette for helping out?

Example 1: if the cache is an ammo tin, would fixing up the contents and putting a waterproof container inside to protect things be good or bad?

Example 2: if the cache is an ammo tin which is rusting and falling apart, would taking it away to repair and repaint then putting it back be good or bad?

Example 3: if the cache is an ammo tin which is rusting and falling apart, would replacing it with a new ammo tin be good or bad?

Log an NM if there isn't already one, and if there is and there's been no CO response, log an NA. Abandoned caches in poor condition do no-one any good. If you're keen to have a good well-maintained cache in that location, let it go through the process of being archived then you can put a new one of your own there. There are many cache ownership responsibilities that only the CO can perform and, from what I've observed, community maintenance rarely ends well.

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 1
1 hour ago, Unit473L said:

You can also send a message and an email to the CO and ask about adopting the cache.  I have had some success getting a response from COs that no longer cache, but they still get messages (if app is still installed) or emails if they have a main account linked to their geocache account.  I was able to adopt one of the oldest caches listings in NC from an inactive CO after sending an email.  Worst case scenario if you don’t hear back from them just follow barefootjeff’s suggestion and you place a cache there after the older one is archived (if cache placement meets current guidelines). Best case scenario you hear back and you (hopefully) get to adopt the cache.  Either way a win-win for you.  

• Helpful 1
8 hours ago, outdoorsoccer said:

You can also send a message and an email to the CO and ask about adopting the cache.

That sounds do-able!

9 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

...from what I've observed, community maintenance rarely ends well.

Fair enough, cheers for the heads up. Glad I asked first. :) 

• Upvote 2
On 7/10/2020 at 4:39 AM, moggie60 said:

The cache is in very good condition and seems sad that it is gone, I would be happy to take ownership, but I wonder why it was archived, if indeed that is what has happened.

Once a cache is archived, it very rarely will be re-enabled, so adoption wouldn't be an option.

Also, adoptions must be initiated by the cache owner, so if they have disappeared, adoption isn't an option.

You could put a new cache in or near that spot, with a tribute note to the old cache, if you like. (Assuming, of course, there aren't any new caches in the area that would cause proximity issues.)

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
On 7/10/2020 at 4:39 AM, moggie60 said:

I downloaded some caches to my GPS some time ago then after I had found one of them when I went to log my find on the website the cache no longer exists.

Is it possible to find information on it (I have all its details on my GPS).

The cache is in very good condition and seems sad that it is gone, I would be happy to take ownership, but I wonder why it was archived, if indeed that is what has happened.

Without "all the details" you have on your GPS, it's kinda tough for us to figure what you're even talking about.   ;)

Are there other signatures on the log ?   Could it be it was too close to another and  now unpublished/not picked up ?

Good to see you realize you don't really know it was archived if you have no further information. 

Could be it was caught  by the Reviewer (they miss things sometimes...) and removed for now, waiting on a CO to fix things.   

You can't "take ownership" of another's cache.  It's their property.  Adoptions don't happen without their consent.   :)

Edited by cerberus1