Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
TheBrowns!

Would there be interest in a racquetball court category?

Recommended Posts

I’m convinced I’m never gonna end up owning a category. It seems like everything everyone either dislikes, or it already exists in some fashion. Here is my 5th idea. Would there be interest in this?

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, TheBrowns! said:

I’m convinced I’m never gonna end up owning a category. It seems like everything everyone either dislikes, or it already exists in some fashion. Here is my 5th idea. Would there be interest in this?

A suggestion: if you delete the threads, future waymarkers will not know that an idea was already discussed. If you keep the thread, they'll see that a category was discussed and what was liked/disliked. 

 

I've been Waymarking for a long time and I don't own a category. Maybe a little experience being an officer in an already existing category would help you get a feel for the waymark review process and the importance of having clear definitions and requirements. 

 

If it's important to you to own a category, I suggest:

1. Browse this forum thread to see what categories have been discussed

2. Browse the full category list of, how many did you say, @The Snowdog

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, TheBrowns! said:

I’m convinced I’m never gonna end up owning a category. It seems like everything everyone either dislikes, or it already exists in some fashion. Here is my 5th idea. Would there be interest in this?

 Public? At private clubs? Just the first question that comes to mind. Most I know of are at private clubs. The Y has them, but you have to be a member there too. 

Share this post


Link to post
32 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

 Public? At private clubs? Just the first question that comes to mind. Most I know of are at private clubs. The Y has them, but you have to be a member there too. 

Any, it would be like the private and public golf courses category, but for racquetball.

 

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, TheBrowns! said:

Any, it would be like the private and public golf courses category, but for racquetball.

 

I do not know when golf courses category was created. I can't look right now. But keep in mind that you can't determine the chance of a current idea passing peer review based on old categories. It was a very different process back then, from what I've read. It is much much tougher to get a new category thru these days. I'm not saying that to discourage you, and we do get new categories occasionally, but just be aware of that.  It's a different ballgame.

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, TheBrowns! said:

Any, it would be like the private and public golf courses category, but for racquetball.

 

Golf course are easier to waymark because they are normally easily accessible from public roads.

 

Racquetball being inside and normally requires being a member might be an issue for Waymarking them. Depends how you write your write up.

 

With almost 1200 category it's not easy to find a new one.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Lynx Humble said:

Golf course are easier to waymark because they are normally easily accessible from public roads.

 

Racquetball being inside and normally requires being a member might be an issue for Waymarking them. Depends how you write your write up.

 

With almost 1200 category it's not easy to find a new one.

I wasn’t even thinking of indoor ones lol. Make that public only.

 

Share this post


Link to post
22 minutes ago, TheBrowns! said:

Love your enthusiasm.  However, you only have been seriously Waymarking for a little over a month.  You haven't tackled a demanding category like the National Register Property, yet.  Owning or even being an officer in a category demands that you look at the category description and be able to make tough judgments when submissions do not meet standards.  That also means being able to look at the category description and admit that there are deficiencies in that description when needed, and correcting those deficiencies with the support of a strong officer team.  Are you able to take the abuse that comes with denying a waymark?

As far as the racquetball category suggestion.  I would NOT base it on the golf courses.  The golf courses category was setup as one of the early categories before we had peer review.  
Things to think about - if this is private club, how does a regular waymarker get a picture of the courts?  If they can't, why waymark it?
Are you going to require a picture of the courts, if indoor?  if not, this only encourages "drive-by" Waymarking. 

What kind of Description are you going to require?
Are Squash Courts going to be allowed?
Again, this is another commercial type category and it will have a long road to hoe.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

I do not know when golf courses category was created. I can't look right now. But keep in mind that you can't determine the chance of a current idea passing peer review based on old categories. It was a very different process back then, from what I've read. It is much much tougher to get a new category thru these days. I'm not saying that to discourage you, and we do get new categories occasionally, but just be aware of that.  It's a different ballgame.

May of 2006

Share this post


Link to post

Max and 99 is correct. The process for creating new Waymarking categories was much different years ago, essentially an 'anything goes' mentality. Over the years, the community in general has 'evolved' to discourage categories devoted to commercial businesses. I feel racquetball courts fall into this category to a certain degree. Today, one has to ask themselves before proposing a new category, "Is it Interesting and informative?"... one of the questions everyone sees when a category goes to Peer Review. The new categories I've seen of late are more educational in value and encourage people to actively seek them out to visit or document. 

 

With that said, I feel you'd have much better luck trying to persuade the leader of the Tennis Facilities category to amend its rules to allow racquetball courts. I'm an officer in that category and could pitch the idea on your behalf. AND the category's title could even change to include 'Racquetball' ... this has been done before and needs help by an admin (like wayfrog).

 

Just my two cents!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
21 hours ago, TheBrowns! said:

I’m convinced I’m never gonna end up owning a category. It seems like everything everyone either dislikes, or it already exists in some fashion. Here is my 5th idea. Would there be interest in this?

 

Don't worry. It took me 7 years to finally get my one and only category created, "Latin American Benchmarks". So don't sweat it if your first idea doesn't come to light. I've had tens of ideas, categories written, hours invested in them just to have them be denied in peer review. It's a good learning experience. You always should ask yourself a few questions before creating a new category.

 

Is it necessary? -- Does it make sense to create a new category or could other existing categories cover it?

 

Is it global? -- Waymarking is a global game, so for example, in my home state of California we have 3 categories that are restrictive to California. El Camino Real Bells, California Historical Markers, Disneyland Benchmarks which if placed in peer review today I think would have a hard time passing. With the exception for Disneyland Benchmarks which has a tourism factor associated with it. Many waymarkers do visit Disneyland although these could have already been accepted into the U.S. Benchmark category which leads into the previous question above.

 

Is it interesting? For example, water drinking fountains. They are everywhere, but they are not interesting to visit. Most store/restaurants categories today don't pass peer review due to this. It is difficult to convince people that they are interesting. It's important to note if it is worth even Waymarking. If it's not interesting, then it likely won't pass peer review.

 

Is it prevalent? Are there enough "things" that can be waymarked in which any waymarker who makes an effort to categorize it can do so relatively easily? For example going back to Disneyland Benchmarks. There's really only 30 or so known benchmarks. There's obviously more than 30 active waymarkers, so not everyone who wants to post on can do so. Another question that needs to be addressed is that is it too prevalent? Again, water drinking fountains are everywhere. Theres too many to waymark each and every one in a park. The map would fill up quickly with boring listings if we tried to categorize a vast majority of them, which tends to happen.

 

 

 

Going back to the original category proposal --- 

 

Racketball, pickle ball, table tennis, and other versions of tennis could theoretically fit into the Tennis Facilities category if we (as I'm an officer in the category) decide to include them. We could take a few days to discuss it among ourselves and update the category if deemed necessary. These courts are becoming more prevalent (and I have seen and visited several). I think we need a discussion among ourselves if we should include them or we need a new category. Personally, I don't feel we need a new category if we can expand previous, existing categories. But who knows, maybe there is enough convincing to say otherwise.

 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, bluesnote said:

 

Don't worry. It took me 7 years to finally get my one and only category created, "Latin American Benchmarks". So don't sweat it if your first idea doesn't come to light. I've had tens of ideas, categories written, hours invested in them just to have them be denied in peer review. It's a good learning experience. You always should ask yourself a few questions before creating a new category.

 

Is it necessary? -- Does it make sense to create a new category or could other existing categories cover it?

 

Is it global? -- Waymarking is a global game, so for example, in my home state of California we have 3 categories that are restrictive to California. El Camino Real Bells, California Historical Markers, Disneyland Benchmarks which if placed in peer review today I think would have a hard time passing. With the exception for Disneyland Benchmarks which has a tourism factor associated with it. Many waymarkers do visit Disneyland although these could have already been accepted into the U.S. Benchmark category which leads into the previous question above.

 

Is it interesting? For example, water drinking fountains. They are everywhere, but they are not interesting to visit. Most store/restaurants categories today don't pass peer review due to this. It is difficult to convince people that they are interesting. It's important to note if it is worth even Waymarking. If it's not interesting, then it likely won't pass peer review.

 

Is it prevalent? Are there enough "things" that can be waymarked in which any waymarker who makes an effort to categorize it can do so relatively easily? For example going back to Disneyland Benchmarks. There's really only 30 or so known benchmarks. There's obviously more than 30 active waymarkers, so not everyone who wants to post on can do so. Another question that needs to be addressed is that is it too prevalent? Again, water drinking fountains are everywhere. Theres too many to waymark each and every one in a park. The map would fill up quickly with boring listings if we tried to categorize a vast majority of them, which tends to happen.

 

 

 

Going back to the original category proposal --- 

 

Racketball, pickle ball, table tennis, and other versions of tennis could theoretically fit into the Tennis Facilities category if we (as I'm an officer in the category) decide to include them. We could take a few days to discuss it among ourselves and update the category if deemed necessary. These courts are becoming more prevalent (and I have seen and visited several). I think we need a discussion among ourselves if we should include them or we need a new category. Personally, I don't feel we need a new category if we can expand previous, existing categories. But who knows, maybe there is enough convincing to say otherwise.

 

I’ve determined that this should not be a new category. Thanks for the educational discussion. I think it would be a lovely idea to extend the tennis court category though.

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, TheBrowns! said:

I’ve determined that this should not be a new category. Thanks for the educational discussion. I think it would be a lovely idea to extend the tennis court category though.

 

Bingo! Now go join Tennis Courts, talk to the NW History Buff and see what you can get done there. Serving as an officer there would serve as a good "introductory experience" to category ownership.

Keith

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, ScroogieII said:

 

Bingo! Now go join Tennis Courts, talk to the NW History Buff and see what you can get done there. Serving as an officer there would serve as a good "introductory experience" to category ownership.

Keith

I messaged him 😀

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1

×
×
  • Create New...