THE NORTH CAROLINA CHALLANGE

icon_biggrin.gif I GoJoey of the WNC Geocachers challange one and all Geocachers to the First Annual(Hopefully) GEOCACHING EXTRAVAGANZA. icon_cool.gif After I and other Geocachers work out the details we will post it as an event cache.

The idea in a nutshell is as follows icon_wink.gif

1. We Will Decide on a Place to meet on 10AM on a Saturday. (IE Lake Julian Pavilion or maby Sycamore Flats in The National Forest.

2. Each person wishing to enter will register and pay a registration Fee

3. WNC Geocachers will Put out 10 to 15 Caches in and around the Meeting Place (10 Mile Radius) in the form of a rubber stamp.and stamp pad

4 Each registered participant will be given a Sheet with all coordinats and clocked on their departure and Clocked on their Return.

5. the Winner will be the person or team (This is a point of discussion ie size of team) That Gets the most points in the shortest time.

6 Afterward Say 4or5PM we have a picnic dinner with root beer (Hell get rid of the root and go for the real thing) and Award Prizes.. icon_biggrin.gif

I talked this over with the K-9 Cachers this morning and they like it so do I so let me hear from all the fearless North Carolina Cachers and also any others We will not exclude anyone whether they be from NorthCarolina SouthCarolina Tenessee Georgia or Virginia SO LETS HEAR IT ID LIKE TO PLAN TO DO THIS NEXT AUGUST (My Employer The US Govt is putting me out to pasture then..............) icon_wink.gif

A CACHE A DAY KEEPS THE BLUES AWAY

I can't wait.

Are you thinking of this as a single event, or something like that which was discussed in the other thread (season long competition between teams from various areas)?

Actually, I suppose it could be both. If a person/team only wanted to do one, they could still enter and have a blast.

I guess I'll organize another local event (since noone else seems willing) and the Raleigh crowd can plan one of our one.

Does anyone/everyone still want to discuss on clayjar chat this Thursday at 8pm?

17406_1900.jpg

coach: what's the story, norm?

norm: thirsty guy walks into a bar. you finish it.

I assume the fee is to cover the cost of prizes and maybe food if it is provided. If so, I'm ok with that.

I don't mind if it is in WNC - organizers choice. Each area can host their own event if they want with their own style, rules and location.

Maybe this time around, a less unified approach is the best we can hope for. After a few events, we may be able to organize and pull off a season of connected events.

I'm just glad to see someone get the ball rolling. I've posted this info on the Triangle Area Geocachers site.

Based on this and the prior thread, it looks as if we may never completely agree on a location/format.

This just convinces me further that, for the time being, we should let each group that wants to create their own challenge event do so however they like. North Carolina Challenge II, III, etc. could follow.

Maybe after a few events, we'll be able to reach an agreement on these things, maybe not. It would still be fun!

gojoey: if you schedule this and I'm available, I'll come. I admit that I had to look up the places you named. I've never been there and I'd like to visit. If it's a team event, I'm sure I can get at least one team from here to come if it's announced well enough in advance.

My only concern is, if we have teams and we travel from farther away, we may want to carpool. If the challenge involves driving, I'd like the rules to be setup so that a team with more cars doesn't have an advantage over a team with fewer.

I didn't like the original idea of Salisbury because it was outside the idea at the time. If you really want to do team play...then each city should be able to host an event on their own turf.

The original idea was to take cachers to different areas. The whole idea was complicated. If you can make it simplier and still work...go for it.

El Diablo

Everything you do in life...will impact someone,for better or for worse.

Count me out this time around.

quote:
SO LETS HEAR IT ID LIKE TO PLAN TO DO THIS NEXT AUGUST (My Employer The US Govt is putting me out to pasture then

icon_frown.gif My employer (me) says August weekends are already completely booked up and you cannot go out and play in the woods with your new friends.

I'll catch up next time. Good luck getting it together. GO TEAM TRIANGLE ! icon_wink.gif

These changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes;

Nothing remains quite the same.

Through all of the islands and all of the highlands,

If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane

Ok were on a roll we meet in less than two weeks for an evening of fun and planning for a statewide geocaching extravaganza.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=66654

I appreciate the posotive responses Ive been getting to this idea. It looks like well be able to put together something for August around the Asheville area. We have some great Geocachers in this regeion and we also have the greatest area to place caches(The Appalachian and Blue Ridge Mountains). We should post "THE NORTH CAROLINA CHALLANGE" in about three weeks. Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.

THANKS GOJOEY&BOOKWORM1

Hi guys, There are Two real close to us here One is Lake Powhatan in the Bent Creek Forest area and the other is at the North Mills River Rec area both are National Forest in North Carolina Fee areas and Ill try to get you some Infor in a Day or two about rates phone numbers ect also there are camping areas all over the National Forest But since I dont camp I dont know the particulars but will find out for you by weeks end thanks GoJoey&Bookworm1