Waymarking leaders/officers who have passed away

As most of you know, the Waymarking community is very small and so when a leader or officer of a category passes away, it makes our community a little smaller, at least in the heart and soul. 

I wanted to address the issue of those folks who have passed on and are still leaders or officers in specific categories. As uncomfortable as it feels, I (or other leaders/officers) have voted a few fellow Waymarkers out of officership after they've been deceased at least six months to a year. These include BruceS and MountainWoods (BTW, BruceS is still leader/officer of a number of categories after being gone for over a year). I just found out recently that another category leader/officer, chstress53, passed away. 

Why remove deceased officers, you may ask? It makes sense for at least a couple of reasons. Replacing them with active officers will keep a category viable --- they can actively vote on any questionable submissions or officers, update the category as needed and ensure the category doesn't go stagnant (the deceased can't vote and deceased leaders are unable to update the category). The big challenge is when a category leader passes away, then a Waymarking admin needs to get involved to remove the leader and appoint their replacement. 

I'm just curious of any other Waymarking individuals who've passed on that I may not be aware of (an officer or leader)?

• Upvote 1

I participated in one of the votes to remove Bruce as an officer from one group.

I voted NAY for the following reason.

I feel that his remaining an officer in the group is one small memorial to the man that we should honour forever. Bruce was a pioneer of Waymarking, well known, well liked and a friend to all who came in contact with him, whether personally or virtually.  While I personally had not a lot of contact with Bruce, I always found him friendly and willing to help with any questions or problems cast his way.

Incidentally, Bruce finished his career with 18,762 Waymarks, 22,424 Waymarks approved, as Leader in 33 categories and Officer in 64 categories - an exemplary career, to be sure.

Both I and the Waymarking community will always miss Bruce. He was The Best!

Sincerely, Keith

Edited by ScroogieII

With regard to other officers who have passed away, I simply can't say one way or the other whether they should remain as officers in groups they once tended. I find it a difficult call.

However, it would be a superbly nice gesture on the part of Groundspeak to create a way for them, and their memories, to somehow remain on the site, whether as Honourary Officers, Honourary Members or something similar.

Are you listening, Wayfroggie? This might actually be a possibility, if Groundspeak would be amenable.

Keith

Edited by ScroogieII
On 7/8/2020 at 4:52 PM, NW_history_buff said:

Why remove deceased officers, you may ask? It makes sense for at least a couple of reasons. Replacing them with active officers will keep a category viable --- they can actively vote on any questionable submissions or officers, update the category as needed and ensure the category doesn't go stagnant (the deceased can't vote and deceased leaders are unable to update the category). The big challenge is when a category leader passes away, then a Waymarking admin needs to get involved to remove the leader and appoint their replacement

Actually, it seems that the above is not completely accurate.

I renovated a category recently, the leader of which, while still alive and kicking, has become, shall we say, nonresponsive, to queries and entreaties from myself and others. Myself and the current leader were able to have the "nonresponsive" leader demoted with a simple vote (which does require a 100% AYE vote from, it appears, only ACTIVE officers.) Possibly we were aided by the Wayfroggie, but, if so, he has not indicated that he did.

So it seems that an agreeable officership CAN, indeed, oust a nonactive leader without outside help. If you find yourself in the same situation, I encourage you to try a simple vote - that is after you know you have the votes.

Keith

Edited by ScroogieII
2 minutes ago, ggmorton said:

we will need to recruit a lot more officers in order to get votes passed efficiently.

This is not necessarily correct.

The officers that need your attention, just initiate the vote to demote. 

I know it states 66% vote is needed. Often it only requires one or two yea votes to demote. You will have to wait the full three days and it should complete with a successful demote.  Recruiting new officers to complete the demote vote, I have found it was not required. 

• Surprised 1
11 minutes ago, T0SHEA said:

This is not necessarily correct.

The officers that need your attention, just initiate the vote to demote. 

I know it states 66% vote is needed. Often it only requires one or two yea votes to demote. You will have to wait the full three days and it should complete with a successful demote.  Recruiting new officers to complete the demote vote, I have found it was not required. 

Well, we have 2 out of 4 that needs to be demoted. I want to recruit at least 1 in order to make the category still viable with 3 officers.

• Upvote 1
On 7/9/2020 at 1:52 AM, NW_history_buff said:

Why remove deceased officers, you may ask? It makes sense for at least a couple of reasons. Replacing them with active officers will keep a category viable --- they can actively vote on any questionable submissions or officers, update the category as needed and ensure the category doesn't go stagnant (the deceased can't vote and deceased leaders are unable to update the category).

I have to agree. Category creators will always be memorialized as such in the group membership.

• Upvote 1