Travel Bug Tracking # vs. Reference #

Chipper3

There are two numbers that are associated  with a travel bug when I view on of my travel bug pages.

There is a number in the top right corner of page that seems to be how to be a reference #.  Starts with TB

There is a second number that is called tracking number and one of mine starts with 2P

What is the difference in these two numbers and when should they be used.  One example is that a log asks for a tracking code.  Which number is to be used?

Edited by Chipper3
added a line for clarity
1 minute ago, Chipper3 said:

There are two numbers that are associated  with a travel bug when I view on of my travel bug pages.

There is a number in the top right corner of page that seems to be how to be a reference #.  Starts with TB

There is a second number that is called tracking number and one of mine starts with 2P

What is the difference in these two numbers and when should they be used.  

At the bottom of every website page is a link to the Help Center. Here is the Trackables link: Help Center Trackables

• Helpful 1
3 minutes ago, Chipper3 said:

The second number is used by those who want to log a visit on the TB (Retrieved, Discovered, etc). So don't share that number publicly or on social media unless you want people to discover it, regardless of whether they've seen the TB in person.  The first number you can share. Always.

• Helpful 1

Thank you Max and 99.  The info and references are very helpful to me.

From the Help center-

"

There are two codes for each trackable.

Reference number

This is a unique reference number which starts with TBXXXX. It is visible for everyone who visits the trackable details page. Use it to log a note to the trackable.

Tracking code

This code is on the trackable item. It is meant to be seen only by people who have the trackable in their hands. Use this code to post “Retrieve”, “Drop”, “Discover”, “Visit”, or “Grab” logs. Please do not show this code in your uploaded photos or logs.

1 hour ago, Chipper3 said:

57 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

The second number is used by those who want to log a visit on the TB (Retrieved, Discovered, etc). So don't share that number publicly or on social media unless you want people to discover it, regardless of whether they've seen the TB in person. 

The first number you can share. Always.

The reason many have issues is because some not getting this correct, and give others the incorrect one.. 

There is a Reference number, and a Tracking code.

The Reference number does just that, referencing the trackable, usually to it's page .

- You'd use that number when explaining or introducing a trackable,  maybe as a link in these forums for example.     :)

The Tracking code is needed when you're logging a Retrieve, Drop, Grab, Visit, or Discover. 

Like any code, it's  used for the purposes of secrecy.

Think of the code as a combination to a lock.  To gain entrance, you need that combination to open the lock. 

You don't usually give others the combination to your lock...

• Helpful 1

Okay, I get it...    Thanks for mentioning this Chipper3.  :)

Trying to figure why folks still aren't gettin' this, and played around a bit...

All Trackable pages belonging to me I looked at still say "Tracking number" on them (just above "Actions").

It has been correctly called a Tracking code for some time in the Help Center so there isn't any confusion between the two.

I've made mention of it on the Website forums.

cerberus - You are correct and that was part of my confusion as the two numbers are called different things on different parts of the site.  

Regardless or the name, I am memorizing that if it begins with TB then that references the page describing the trackable.  The other number is used to actually do something with the trackable.  It is the "secret" ID that is revealed only when someone is in physical possession of the trackable  in order to change its "state" by physically doing something with it.  And is name is Trackable Code.

• Upvote 1
11 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

I never made that connection before! Excellent observation, and an easy one to remember.

And if it begins with GC, it's a GeoCache (or an event). If it begins with GL, it's a Geocache Log. If it begins with TL, it's a Traveling object Log.

Prefix them with https://coord.info/ and you'll go to any of them directly.

Examples (randomly chosen):

TB34D is a Travel Bug

TL8CHWB is a Travel bug Log

GC8FR0G is a GeoCache

GL11XNFJZ is a Geocache Log (subject to deletion, by the way).

Bonus: can you guess what are these codes about?

PR1BRZX

BM34G24

Edited by Tungstène
Added PR and BM codes