Release Notes (Website: New cache owner dashboard) - July 6, 2020

Pretty cool!  B)

Though I would think my (untouched) Community Celebration Event doesn't really need attention merely because there's a Reviewer Note from HQ.  I've got a year and a half to deal with that one.  :grin:

Second impression: wow, wow, wow.  I can see pictures people posted to their logs that I'd never noticed at the time.  :wub:

Edited by Viajero Perdido
  • Upvote 2
15 minutes ago, Geocaching HQ said:

(...)

3. Latest activity feed on your hides, including pictures
Selfies, smileys, and more: Quickly see the last 6 weeks of recent logs, finder's photos, and Favorite points given to each of your hides in the activity feed.
(..)

Hum there seems to be a maximum of 100 logs so I only see the last 8 days not 6 weeks (because I publish some recently)

6 minutes ago, Viajero Perdido said:

Pretty cool!  B)

Though I would think my (untouched) Community Celebration Event doesn't really need attention merely because there's a Reviewer Note from HQ.  I've got a year and a half to deal with that one.  :grin:

Yeah I have the same issue.

38 minutes ago, TmdAndGG said:

If you press the Play button at the top of the Geocaching.com webpage, a list will pop up that includes a link to the new CO dashboard under "Cache Owner Dashboard".

First impressions are very positive - I can see that I would use this a lot. There could do with being a way to access it from the normal Dashboard, but pleased I can get to it from the Play drop-down menu.

• Upvote 1

My first impression:

? for the "Owner Dashboard" but why is the link hidden away under "Play"?

? for the "New Dashboard" - too little information on too much space and the information about "finds", "renewal date", "hides", "drafts", "FPs" from the top right corner in the "old dashboard" is hidden away/scattered all over the place.

Me like a lot!

One comment (or maybe more. Currently looking around): I'd be tempted to click on my name or photo on the left side to get back to wherever I would end up there. Though the same doesn't do anything on the /my page either.

How do I get back to the owner dashboard from my dahsboard? I generally prefer not to use the Play button because it's two clicks to get somewhere.

• Upvote 1

This is great but a while ago you took away the most useful tool for a CO - the ability to put a NM on our own caches. I still cannot work out why this was necessary. Please could you add this functionality back?

Edited by -KROP-
  • Upvote 2

I like the Owner Dashboard!  One point of confusion for me - the 3 most recent logs shown are the most recent on the left.  Since I read from left to right, my initial assumption was that the farthest to the right was the most recent...leading me to believe at first glance that all 6 of these caches have a find or maintenance as the most recent log.  In fact, the most recent contain a Write note and and 2 DNF's - not quite as rosy a picture as I thought!  Now that I know that's how it works, I'll try and remember, but it still seems the farthest to the right should be the most recent.

image.png.d40a31bb52e2691d73efe944bf0bca14.png 

Other than that little annoyance, I like the new dashboard!

• Upvote 2
1 minute ago, CAVinoGal said:

I like the Owner Dashboard!  One point of confusion for me - the 3 most recent logs shown are the most recent on the left.  Since I read from left to right, my initial assumption was that the farthest to the right was the most recent...leading me to believe at first glance that all 6 of these caches have a find or maintenance as the most recent log.  In fact, the most recent contain a Write note and and 2 DNF's - not quite as rosy a picture as I thought!  Now that I know that's how it works, I'll try and remember, but it still seems the farthest to the right should be the most recent.

image.png.d40a31bb52e2691d73efe944bf0bca14.png 

Other than that little annoyance, I like the new dashboard!

I assumed the first shown is the most recent, like I'd see on a cache page: most recent logs first. But I can see it going either way!

• Upvote 4
  • Helpful 1

Troubles with the pop-up image viewer on my Android 6 tablet with huge screen resolution, Firefox, everything temporarily allowed in NoScript, cookiebot still blocked by firewall.  (EDIT: ditto on my low-res phone, same everything else. Ditto bypassing firewall allowing [yeck] cookiebot.)

For the first attempt only for each image, the pop-up only shows a thin slice of the top of the image. I have to fuss with it (tap tap bang, or going landscape/horizontal works) to make it display fully. Then it's really hard to make it go away with "x". What the heck?

At least I don't see layout issues like the unresolved ones with the dashboard.  ETA: images on the Dashboard have never been a problem with the same devices.

Edited by Viajero Perdido
7 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

I assumed the first shown is the most recent, like I'd see on a cache page: most recent logs first.

Yes, no one wants to scroll through hundreds of logs to get the most recent one.

Edited by HHL

I was having trouble locating the images shown in this thread, for my profile. When I rotated my device it appeared. ?

I'm not ready to rate the new experience, even though I'm being asked to. 

Just curious: if I get a report from the Geocaching Doctor saying that my cache health might need attention: will that notification appear in this new dashboard experience? It seems like everything else is shown!

Edited by Max and 99

I really like it.  Good job.

It would be nice if there were links from the Cache Types on the Dashboard to a filtered list on the Hides screen - to just show your Trads for example.  In fact, it would be nice if there were filters on the Hides screen, to allow you to filter by Cache Type or any of the other fields...

And when you hover over the Last 3 logs icons, it would be useful if they displayed not just the Log Type but the date, e.g. "Found It: 15/06/2020". 

Edited by IceColdUK
Added to my wishlist!
  • Upvote 3
  • Helpful 1

Wow! This is looking amazing/useful. I do have some low-priority minor suggestions to the design of the dashboard.

1. Helpful links box - the first option in that box is to "hide a cache page". Perhaps language like "hide a new geocache" or "create new geocache listing" would be more appropriate.

margin.PNG.e55a95c30fcf5bd7aa8281732117d2ce.PNG

2. Body padding - the screenshot below is a full-window screenshot on the latest version of Chrome. I assume that the page is supposed to have left- and right- padding values greater than zero (ie. "squished in" like all of the other pages)

EDIT: the "Unpublished hides" page has visible body padding on my laptop but not on my PC. Time to do some debugging.

margins.PNG

3. First world problems - there are some additional minor inconsistencies that I feel unhappy about. However, I do recognise that the graphic design and front-end development teams are hard at work redesigning the Geocaching website, and so some issues just "aren't ones we can fix as easily as you might think."

• Breadcrumb (1) arrows (2) spacing (3) colours. 

spacing1.PNG

spacing2.PNG

• The different casing patterns between "Recently Viewed Caches" and "Unpublished hides".
  • Header inconsistency between the old/new pages.

ezgif-1-b9305dfac921.gif

-

This isn't to say, though, that I think the new dashboard is "terrible" - I will be using this! 

Edited by Hügh
Ironically, this forum post had some inconsistencies that NEEDED to be fixed.
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

Another minor issue - when on a mobile device, the “scroll to top” button doesn’t move with the viewport and instead intrudes on some text (and I assume logs if any show up.)

0001.jpg

Edited by Hügh

The Published Hides screen shows an absolute count of DNFs for each cache (which is interesting), however, for cache maintenance purposes, it would far more useful to show a count of DNFs since the last Found It / Owner Maintenance log.

Could this be added?

Edited by IceColdUK
  • Upvote 4
  • Helpful 4
13 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

I assumed the first shown is the most recent, like I'd see on a cache page: most recent logs first. But I can see it going either way!

Maybe the most recent smiley could be a bit larger than the other ones (or the other way round: the less recent ones are smaller)? So everybody knows immediately which one is the newest, no matter which direction the smileys are.

• Upvote 1

I must say that I am impressed! Very good concept, and going through all cache logs is so much easier now.

I only hope that the button to the new Cache Owner Dashboard will be moved to a better, intuitive place, because now I struggled to find it.

I have some suggestions, maybe useful ;):

- while being for example in Published caches it would be nice to have an option to "jump" directly into Archived or Unpublished caches

- Maybe in the section "Helpful links" there could be added an option to go into Adoption webpage https://www.geocaching.com/adopt/

Anyways, good job!

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 1

Windows Firefox with or without scripts

• Columns on the page unpublished are sortable  by name, distance, placed date but NOT by status.  If a CO is working on a number of caches for publication,  status is important thing.  Please make this a sortable value.
  • My Reviewer Note Unpublished pane shows 1.   Following that link goes to a submitted event. On the owner/unpublished page,  I see 2 physical caches that "need attention" and on the event tab, the 1 event.   The 2 physical caches were disabled by reviewer.  
  • Published caches Reviewer note last 30 days,  shows two newly published caches? reviewer note at time of publication? As there's nothing a cache owner can do about archived reviewer notes, this is non-information.
  • BUG minor issue, deep down on my fix list - can't log out from the unpublished page, pulldown box in upper right offers: Settings Help Center Sign Out. 
  • Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
19 hours ago, cruccone said:

Nice! Is there a way to sort on recent DNFs? That may suggest the cache needs attention, even without a N/M log.

6 hours ago, IceColdUK said:

The Published Hides screen shows an absolute count of DNFs for each cache (which is interesting), however, for cache maintenance purposes, it would far more useful to show a count of DNFs since the last Found It / Owner Maintenance log.

These two suggestions go hand in hand - seeing the absolute count of DNF's is, indeed, interesting, but really doesn't give a lot of information.  RECENT DNF's, especially if they are sequential, with no finds in between, would be more useful.

3 hours ago, fraggle_[DE] said:

Maybe the most recent smiley (or frownie, or whatever action it was) could be a bit larger than the other ones (or the other way round: the less recent ones are smaller)? So everybody knows immediately which one is the newest, no matter which direction the smileys are.

15 hours ago, IceColdUK said:

And when you hover over the Last 3 logs icons, it would be useful if they displayed not just the Log Type but the date, e.g. "Found It: 15/06/2020". 

I like IceColdUK's idea of the hover showing the date of the log as well as the type.  That would eliminate confusion as to the direction of the icons, and give the CO more information about the recent activity.  

Overall, I'm really liking the CO dashboard.  More informative than just the listing and having to click on each one to view the cache page to get additional information.  It can save me time because I can see, in some cases, the need (or not) to actually go to the cache page to make changes.  I like the sorting options (date placed, date last log, etc) and the ability to make some changes right from the dashboard.  Yeah, I'm liking the new dashboard!

7 hours ago, Hügh said:

Another minor issue - when on a mobile device, the “scroll to top” button doesn’t move with the viewport and instead intrudes on some text (and I assume logs if any show up.)

I rarely view the website on my mobile device, but I tried it for this to see what happens.  The "scroll to top" doesn't appear for me until I have scrolled down into the actual logs, and it stays in place in the bottom right corner as I scroll further down.  So it does cover some text, but I can scroll to see what's "under" it.  Then it stays at the bottom of the log listing, even as I scroll down further to the bottom of the page and the legal  disclaimer links, Contact us and all that.  A few screenshots as I scroll the page on my mobile - 

Screenshot_20200707-083823.png.5982edad63092949f72a704d77581d9b.png     Screenshot_20200707-083839.png.bb6f81c92aab79c4b51bbbc7006760bb.png     Screenshot_20200707-083914.png.c0a2d783897560615241d110f0890802.png     Screenshot_20200707-083931.png.6ebc544c2fc6ddfde658148f77fe3764.png

But, I typically do not view my hides on a mobile, I do all my cache maintenance and updates on the computer/laptop.  

Edited by CAVinoGal

What is the difference between ""Finds" and "Found logs"?

I understand , as I´ve seen above at one of the users , that "Finds" are higher than "Found logs" (as logging and finding same cache twice).

I dont get it "Finds" being higher than "Found logs". As in my case...

Greetings, Andrej

found.thumb.jpg.9d96fb92470e0ea8b24177076b4efbcd.jpg

I like it a lot.

I went to check it out and right away I found one of our caches that we did maintenance on after it was gone but forgot to place a maintenance log for after we replaced it.

Are there any plans to add a "thin/light" version of this in the official app?

For doing disabling a cache when someone reports that it's gone or looking up my own cache details if someone asks for more info about something