ISS Sightings July 2020

While looking for NEOWISE last night just at sunset the station unexpectedly passed right over at a max altitude of 87º. It was super bright and the sun hadn't gone down completely yet. Had a nearly a 180º view of the Pacific and some nearby cities. Saw it for roughly 6 minutes before it disappeared over the mountains. Managed to even snap some photos of it on my phone and it still showed up in the image. Don't think I'll get a better opportunity to see it than that. 

Figure out how to upload some photos from last night. The white dot in the red circle is the ISS. The second image is NEOWISE. Last photo is my set up. Going on a tangent here, I know, but I’m sure many are also looking for both the ISS and NEOWISE and thought I’d share :)

C518319E-0FB3-45A5-BB8C-8C77EF677690.jpeg

DBFC8F59-5328-4AAE-AFEB-E0EA5E8267D3.jpeg

B54B986D-307C-4485-8958-636F67C2E0BC.jpeg

6 hours ago, bluesnote said:

While looking for NEOWISE last night just at sunset the station unexpectedly passed right over at a max altitude of 87º. It was super bright and the sun hadn't gone down completely yet. Had a nearly a 180º view of the Pacific and some nearby cities. Saw it for roughly 6 minutes before it disappeared over the mountains. Managed to even snap some photos of it on my phone and it still showed up in the image. Don't think I'll get a better opportunity to see it than that. 

Nice photos, thank you for sharing. Did you see NEOWISE? (OOPs, I guess I didn't read close enough)

I've tried once in the morning and had too much haze/moisture. I've tried each evening but haze seems to cover everything up to about 30°. Even my ISS View didn't appear until about 45° and there were no clouds in the sky. Tonight it's overcast.

Edited by 8Nuts MotherGoose
add sentence after NEOWISE
Just now, 8Nuts MotherGoose said:

Nice photos, thank you for sharing. Did you see NEOWISE?

I've tried once in the morning and had too much haze/moisture. I've tried each evening but haze seems to cover everything up to about 30°. Even my ISS View didn't appear until about 45° and there were no clouds in the sky. Tonight it's overcast.

It's been relatively cloudless here in Southern California. I woke up just a tad bit late on Sunday at 4:30am but by the time I went to go see the comet the sun was starting to come out. Tried again on Wednesday night at two different locations but I think I just missed it. One place didn't have a good enough view and by the time I got to the second it was already 9:30, just too dim to see. Yesterday I said "I'm gonna see it one way or another" and just went to a park with a great view and waited for sunset to occur. I could just barely make it out with the naked eye but you really had to know where it was to know what it was, if that makes sense. It was just between the smog and the cloudless sky roughly 15 or so degrees above the horizon in the NNW direction. I first used binoculars to locate it then once I knew where it was, I was able to position the telescope to take the photo of the comet. Really blurry, but for a smartphone it's not bad.

14 ISS waymarks just this month so far. Is that a new record? One will not be created, and another I hope is still coming (already seen the ISS).

Some are in the works, so we'll see if they work out for the partners.

I was not able to see several partnership passes this month, which was disappointing. I think this was the most hectic ISS month for me, with so much planning. I was afraid I'd forget about one and let someone down.

Good job, ISS waymarkers!

Just now, pmaupin said:

Ouahhhh, 11:32 pm French time and the ISS passes over my house again. I wait July 24 because I would have a partner in Germany "Lumbricus"
It is a magnificent sight in this starry sky, magical night.

France: 11:32 pm, 89º
Germany: 11:34 pm, 81º

I'm so excited for that pass!

6 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

14 ISS waymarks just this month so far. Is that a new record? One will not be created, and another I hope is still coming (already seen the ISS).

Some are in the works, so we'll see if they work out for the partners.

I was not able to see several partnership passes this month, which was disappointing. I think this was the most hectic ISS month for me, with so much planning. I was afraid I'd forget about one and let someone down.

Good job, ISS waymarkers!

I'm waiting on Iconions and TheHostas to post theirs.