Making Night Caches

FootyFan123

19 minutes ago, FootyFan123 said:

I’m thinking of making a night cache, and the tacks that I found are all fairly expensive.

I’m happy to pay for them if they are all that price, I’m just wondering where they are cheapest

I'd think looking in your own country might be cheapest in shipping.   Get "cheap" tacks and the shipping's the same price...    ;)

We've tried "cheapest" (simple coated tacks) in tests, and some had the heads fade or chip within a year. 

One of those "get what you pay for" things I guess...      Cheapest and yearly maintenance a toss-up.   :)

I like these  (look in their "bargain shack") as far as tacks high up in trees, and pretty-much any reflective or glow tape for thinner tree's branches.

Expect tape in branches to be seen by non-cachers as well.

Edited by cerberus1

Cerberus1 is correct -- this can definitely be a 'get what you pay for' situation.

I remember long ago when I placed my night cache that the original set of fire tacks that I purchased were really pretty poor.  Limited angle and not very reflective.  Had to replace all of them.

Honestly, I'd stick with anyone using 3M material for whatever device they're making.  It's quality stuff.

Having said that, I've 'solved' a few of these that have used the HME tacks, too, and I thought they were quite good.

My bad (note strikethrough above).  FireTacks is actually a brand, and not a generic name for these things.  What I eventually changed over to WAS the FireTacks branded product.  They use the 3M retroreflective material.  You can get them in a number of places.  Here's their web site >> https://firetacks.com/collections/firetacks

Edited by ecanderson
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

Here, most stores geared to hunters/fisherman have "trail markers" for hunters.   Have anything similar there ?

Cheap, painted tacks that have airbrushed reflective heads.  Sorta like these. 

Depending on humidity and untouched, the "tack" end might not break from the head in a couple years...

• Upvote 1