unwanted sex come on message

Reporting misuse of the message center, I received now messages- I did not read- from Fishman8274 8:10 AM with a link to a website for decidedly not geocaching interest. How can this be blocked from Geocaching.com? 

Actually a few message, may not be the same person but has the same wording. 

Edited by Jayeffel
add info
  • Funny 1

I have also received at least 10 inappropriate messages from users. It would appear, many of these users haven't used their accounts in a while. I recommended that they all change their passwords, and I also reported those accounts in an email to geocaching.com.

There have reports over the last few days of spam arriving in geocacher email inboxes.

Geocaching HQ have already been working to resolving this matter.

Today, spam appears to also be arriving via the Geocaching Message Center.

These messages come from different addresses, with similar message text.

Geocaching HQ has already been made aware.

It would appear the same message is being sent simultaneously to groups of geocaching users at the same time.
After receiving the initial spam message, users have replied to the message, not realizing they are sending dozens (if not hundreds) of replies to other recipients.

If you receive one of these spam messages - DO NOT REPLY and DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS.

Your geocaching mobile app may be providing a notification when a message has been received - which could result in many notifications.

You can disable notifications on your smartphone for any apps that may be constantly alerting (email, Geocaching app)

If you also wish to disable email notifications for Message Centre messages:

• Go to Settings (in the top right, click on the down arrow)
  • Go to Email Preferences
  • Remove the checkmark beside Message Centre
  • Helpful 3
Just now, cghove said:

How about you temporarily shut down the message senter as you investiate....

I am a regulatory compliance manager for a large bank, and I'm located three timezones away from Geocaching HQ. How exactly do you suggest that I do that?

• Upvote 3

We have been investigating the issue for quite some time. We believe that someone is spamming our community, but sometimes making it appear as if the messages are coming from an active user. We do not believe they were actually sent by that user. There is no need to reply to the messages or to notify HQ about accounts. We will work to resolve this issue.

• Helpful 2
  • Love 1
46 minutes ago, Keystone said:

I am a regulatory compliance manager for a large bank, and I'm located three timezones away from Geocaching HQ. How exactly do you suggest that I do that?

And I thought you were a glutton for punishment being a moderator here.  Bank regulatory compliance?!?  My condolences and respect!

• Upvote 4
1 minute ago, Max and 99 said:

Only 5??? 160 so far to me, and no signs of it stopping. Help, Signal!!

I have well over that number now! More than 200 emails. And I switched off email notifications and they STILL keep coming. This is not just insanity - I can barely see my regular email now amongst all the spam!!!!!

• Funny 2
19 minutes ago, CCFwasGoldies said:

I have well over that number now! More than 200 emails. And I switched off email notifications and they STILL keep coming. This is not just insanity - I can barely see my regular email now amongst all the spam!!!!!

That's frustrating for me to. I was fortunate to spot a real message amongst the 400.

Edited by Max and 99
  • Upvote 1
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

That's frustrating for me to. I was fortunate to spot a real message amongst the 200.

I received another 5 or more since I posted that - getting almost 2-3 per minute. This is INSANE. I can't believe they have not sent someone in to put out the fire, it is almost 9am in Seattle. What a [expletive] show. 

• Funny 2
  • Surprised 1
13 minutes ago, RocTheCacheBox said:

I also have received these messages. And messages telling ME to stop.  This issue has been going on since at least June 25 as referenced in a previous thread.

Aware of the problem for a week and not resolving it? Need another week or two?   

I turned off email notifications for the message center nd am still getting spammed so clearly it is operating through the email system, ie some spammer has my address (and many others). Also saw via Twitter that this started on 25 June. So to say I am p*ssed off at Groundspeak is a massive understatement. 

• Funny 2

Wow...

This isn't the first time similar has happened.  Eventually it got fixed.   No wonder someone's amused...

Mine couldn't be repeated like some in the other, multiple threads on the same subject have done.  

Above, a Mod showed how to temp-fix it for now.   A lackey even responded to say "We will work to resolve this issue".    :)

No offense, and sure it's frustrating, but is this really the first time this has ever happened to you ?   

54 minutes ago, RocTheCacheBox said:

I also have received these messages. And messages telling ME to stop.  This issue has been going on since at least June 25 as referenced in a previous thread.

Aware of the problem for a week and not resolving it? Need another week or two?   

The issue which began June 25th involved the email function.  Steps were taken to address that.  Have you seen a reocurrence of that prior issue?

Today's new issue involves the Message Center, and HQ immediately started working in the wee hours of the morning to begin addressing it.

• Upvote 2

Geocaching HQ is aware that a user sent many spam messages through the Message Center today, July 2, 2020. The user was able to make it appear as if the messages came from another geocacher, in a group chat with many other users. We realize this caused a great deal of confusion. We recommend you do not reply to any of these messages. We do not believe this user had access to your account, or the account of other users. You do not need to delete the app, change your password, or delete your Geocaching account. 

We temporarily turned off the Message Center on our website at 8:00am (Pacific Daylight Time) in order to troubleshoot this issue. The Message Center is now turned back on. You may still receive email notifications or app notifications for messages sent earlier today. You should ignore these messages. We are working to delete these group conversations from the Message Center.

We truly appreciate the geocaching community, and are sorry that someone has taken advantage of some users. We will be working hard to prevent future issues such as this with our Message Center.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 3

I can see why I rarely come to and use these forums - I got "reactions" to my serious posts on the spam message center issue: every one had at least one "funny" reaction. Nice. Hopefully the person laughing gets to deal with the same issue as I did another day. It was a huge huge headache. Not fun, nor funny. 

The pun, however, was funny. :-) [edit: as soon as I post, I get a "funny" reaction - aren't you cute whoever you are? and I'm sorry but you're also obnoxious....]

Edited by CCFwasG
  • Upvote 4
  • Funny 6
  • Surprised 1
3 hours ago, CCFwasG said:

I can see why I rarely come to and use these forums - I got "reactions" to my serious posts on the spam message center issue: every one had at least one "funny" reaction. Nice. Hopefully the person laughing gets to deal with the same issue as I did another day. It was a huge huge headache. Not fun, nor funny. 

The pun, however, was funny. :-) [edit: as soon as I post, I get a "funny" reaction - aren't you cute whoever you are? and I'm sorry but you're also obnoxious....]

If your blustery statements were true, then perhaps people wouldn't be laughing at you.

• Upvote 1
  • Surprised 2
1 hour ago, CCFwasG said:

Please tell me what about receiving spam is "blustery", much less not true?

Don't let the laughing emoji get to you, while the emoji is called "funny", it actually means "by using this emoji as a reaction to this post, I declare that I am being a jerk, and am only clicking this because the recipient of the emoji can't see who I am".  

Edited by GeoElmo6000
  • Upvote 2
  • Funny 4
  • Helpful 1