Launching those satellites is expensive!

19 minutes ago, TmdAndGG said:

We just saw a SpaceX launch carrying a GPS III satellite today as proved by my grainy imagery!B) Probably quite expensive!

682B70A6-C853-418F-B7B7-E93855F0E779.jpeg

I missed today's launch but I have seen others. It's fascinating to watch! If you haven't seen the satellite train yet, this is another chance. I've seen four. It doesn't get any less exciting.

"A system of over 30 GPS (short for Global Positioning Satellites) are whizzing around in orbit right now."

This is just confusing.  GPS stands for Global Positioning System.  It's the satellites, receivers, and other ground based stations that complete the "system".  According to the GPS wikipedia page there are actually 33 satellites in orbit but only 31 in use (27 active, the rest in stand by mode) and that the Global Positioning System is managed by the United States Space Force.  

1 hour ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

"A system of over 30 GPS (short for Global Positioning Satellites) are whizzing around in orbit right now."

This is just confusing.  GPS stands for Global Positioning System.  It's the satellites, receivers, and other ground based stations that complete the "system".  According to the GPS wikipedia page there are actually 33 satellites in orbit but only 31 in use (27 active, the rest in stand by mode) and that the Global Positioning System is managed by the United States Space Force.  

Yep, dumbed down so anyone can "understand."  But, IIRC (I ran out of fingers and toes to confirm, and my math classes were many decades ago ;)), 33 is "over 30".  But, then you also have to include the other countries satellites (I know there are at least three systems active).

There are more options to send a satellite.
The U. K. Skyrora (https://www.skyrora.com/) has three stage rockets to send a satellite to the orbit. It is able to perform maneuvering while reaching the target, escaping debris and facilities that are already there.
I wonder, if ever it will be possible to send caches there with signaling to the Earth, so that it can be found and logged with the signal.

• Funny 1

It blows my mind that these satellites are constantly whizzing around on predetermined planes. Even though they are not in geostationary orbit, they maintain planetary coverage and it is amazing. A dedicated team is constantly monitoring these satellites' movement to ensure they stay on their orbits - around the clock. This is complicated by the fact that there is an insane amount of space debris up there, admittedly at a variety of elevations, but that still must be a huge headache.

I know a lot of profound technology understood by a few is used by the many. Not many people could engineer and build a planetary gear system but they sure can use it in a car. Same with satellites and smart phones.

satellite map.gif

11 minutes ago, CheekyBrit said:

It blows my mind that these satellites are constantly whizzing around on predetermined planes. Even though they are not in geostationary orbit, they maintain planetary coverage and it is amazing. A dedicated team is constantly monitoring these satellites' movement to ensure they stay on their orbits - around the clock. This is complicated by the fact that there is an insane amount of space debris up there, admittedly at a variety of elevations, but that still must be a huge headache.

And the clocks have to be adjusted for relativity, which is fascinating to me.

• Upvote 1