US Geodetic Reference Mark

kwithers2000

Hi. I found a very old pic my dad took of a US Geodetic Reference Mark. I have been trying to look up WHERE it is located, as I only have the picture of it. But all of the databases and lookups that I have found seem to require me to know the location first.  I have attached the pic. Can someone help point me to a website or a suggestion on how I can find WHERE this marker is located?  I believe it may be in southern Indiana USA but I do not really know. I would like the visit the location, same as my dad did a long time ago ... but I am struggling to find where it is :(

IMG_0780.jpg

On 6/27/2020 at 8:16 PM, kwithers2000 said:

Hi. I found a very old pic my dad took of a US Geodetic Reference Mark. I have been trying to look up WHERE it is located, as I only have the picture of it. But all of the databases and lookups that I have found seem to require me to know the location first.  I have attached the pic. Can someone help point me to a website or a suggestion on how I can find WHERE this marker is located?  I believe it may be in southern Indiana USA but I do not really know. I would like the visit the location, same as my dad did a long time ago ... but I am struggling to find where it is :(

IMG_0780.jpg

You could try contacting The National Geodetic Survey at 301-713-3242 or sending the picture to: ngs.infocenter@noaa.gov.   Can you see what is written under the scratch?  Is it a number 3.  Sorry for late response, I’m just getting into benchmarking.  Good luck!

The NGS has a lookup tool if only the designation (name) of the station is known.  In this case I only searched the database for the  station name "FIRE" in Indiana.  If Indiana is the incorrect state, then you can search other states.  https://www.ngs.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/ds_desig.prl

This is a reference mark for a triangulation control station.   I found two candidates, both monumented in 1946.   The triangulation station has adjusted coordinates, so a GPSr should guide you right to the station.   JA0364 was last reported as found in 2014, and JA1845 in 2010.  

PID JA0364 is in Orange County.  N38 29 26.03614  W086 26 15.72811   This is about 5.5 miles southeast of the city of Paoli near the site of the Paoli Lookout Tower.    RM1 should be found at N38 29 25.44 W086 26 14.63, and RM2 should be found at N38 26 25.79 W086 26 16.31.  

PID JA1845 is in Spencer County.   N38 05 48.30051  W086 59 24.36098  This is about 2 miles south of Lincoln City near the center of the Lincoln Park.   RM1 should be found at N38 05 48.21 W086 59 24.26,  and RM2 should be found at N38 05 48.21 W086 59 24.49.   

The NGS app DSWorld can create a KMZ file for use in Google Earth.  I've included a screen capture of the area around each station showing the relationship of the reference marks to the triangulation station.   Let us know if either is the correct station.   

Bob 

JA0364.JPG

JA1845.JPG

• Helpful 1