OpenStreetMap--won't transfer

About a month ago, I downloaded a map using OSM.  Then, on my Macbook, I opened the zip file, plugged in my Garmin, dragged the map to the SD card, and it worked just fine.  Today, I tried the same thing, and the map did not show up on the GPS.  The SD card shows it is there, but nothing shows on the GPS screen.  I also tried two different SD card readers, as well as 4 different SD cards.  What am I doing wrong?  The card in the GPS is seated, batteries are fine, no issues with it at all.  In fact, the old SD card that I used does show that map.

Thanks.

Have you changed the filenames?

What do you mean "nothing shows on the GPS screen"?  Is it completely blank? Do you see the default world map? Is the map "switched on" in the map settings?

And very important, care to mention which GPS it is?

1 hour ago, on4bam said:

Have you changed the filenames?  Do you meant the OSM file name?  If so, no.  

What do you mean "nothing shows on the GPS screen"?  Is it completely blank? The map screen is gray, with just my last track and geocaches showing.  Do you see the default world map?  Nope.   Is the map "switched on" in the map settings?  The map settings are blank.  Just did a factory reset, and nothing shows for the map.

And very important, care to mention which GPS it is?  I tried with a Dakota 20 and Oregon 450.  The reset was on the Dakota.

53 minutes ago, GrateBear said:

When I open the Select Map, the screen is blank.  

You need to remove all maps from the GPSr\Garmin\ directory and load only one at a time to see when the issue occurs. It definitely sounds like you have two or more maps that are not compatible with being on the same device at the same time.

3 hours ago, Atlas Cached said:

You need to remove all maps from the GPSr\Garmin\ directory and load only one at a time to see when the issue occurs. It definitely sounds like you have two or more maps that are not compatible with being on the same device at the same time.

Nope--there are no maps at all on the unit.  The map select screen is blank.  

I'm giving up and just going to buy the map--found a good deal on Amazon.  Even if I have to pay the full Garmin price, it's worth it not to have to keep struggling with OSM.

On 6/29/2020 at 12:46 AM, Mineral2 said:

No, he means the maps are on a SD card. It's probably prudent to remove all of the .img files from the card and load them one at a time to find the problem map causing them not to load properly.

No, I reformatted the SD card before loading the OSM map, but it still doesn't show.  But, as I noted, I've bought the Garmin SD card, so good to go!

Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions.  

1 hour ago, GrateBear said:

I reformatted the SD card before loading the OSM map, but it still doesn't show.  But, as I noted, I've bought the Garmin SD card, so good to go!

Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions.  

..and there it is.

Probably formatted the microSD card incorrectly, which will prevent the GPSr only from reading the map.

The microSD card must be formatted FAT32. NOT exFAT.

8^)

Edited by Atlas Cached
On 7/1/2020 at 1:49 AM, on4bam said:

AND the Garmin directory?

Yep.  My computer skills are not that great, so I know I did something wrong.  It's always been "hit or miss" for me with OSM.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.  Always appreciate the help and suggestions from those on these forums.